General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

insuranced for a scooter-motorbike 250ccm

Old 01-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems to me that if it is a scooter instead of a sports bike, the rates should be much lower. It is hard to imagine anyone doing anything crazy on a scooter bike.

All of this has reminded me though that if I wanted a very efficient local means of going to town and back, the MOPED is an excellent idea!

I could modify one to go maybe 35-40MPH tops and the local speed limit on the roads around here were reduced recently to 40MPH from what it once was.

I had a tricycle moped one year that originally was set up for a handicapped guy, and it was a wonderful grocery getter! Like having a shopping cart with a gas engine...

Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
I'm sure it varies from state to state, but at least here in Indiana, a "scooter" usually refers to a moped, which by definition is 49cc or less, and limited to something like 30 MPH (no driver's license needed)--not allowed on limited-access highways and interstates. They're fairly popular with drunks who have lost their licenses. Anything larger is a motorcycle, and requires a driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement (which requires a motorcycles skills test the first time, and extra money to maintain the endorsement).

Jason

Old 01-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I did some checking - any bike, even 50cc and under, used on a public road has to be registered here in Tennessee.

Bikes (Scooters) 50cc and under no motorcycle endorsement is required, a drivers license IS. For Scooters over 50cc, a motorcycle license is required.

The guy at the Yamaha dealership I talked to also told me two or three things I thought were interesting:
Insurance for one of these would probably be only $50 per YEAR.

A 50cc bike would get 110 MPG, vice a 150cc got 80MPG. I think a 250cc would be approximate to what a 150cc uses.

Pedals have not been seen at all on Mopeds for decades, consequently they are ALL scooters, but with various power levels. The misconception of Mopeds or Motor Driven Bicycles not needing a license or registration is Urban Legend these days, you are just not going to find one of those. If you did - it would be considered a "Scooter" for registration and licensing purposes.

~Wolfie

PS: The difference between a motorcycle and a Scooter seems to be that one has a "Step Through" frame, and the other has a "Step Over" frame.

PPS: There are Vespa collectors over here who pay INSANE amounts of money for older Vespa's in any condition - if German Joe managed to bring a few of those with him in poor condition, they could nevertheless be sold for a considerable mark-up. Even parts of them command interesting prices - you should surf around a bit and check it out.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:08 AM
German Joe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-24-2015, 06:54 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
That would definitely require a license plate, insurance and a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license in Indiana.

Jason

Old 01-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
That looks like a sweet bike. I would be inclined to go with a straight Yamaha or Honda though - mixed products can have confusing customer support difficulties, and a Honda or Yamaha dealer-backed bike would have impressive customer support.

They would probably be very helpful with the insurance and licensing issues as well, not to mention taking care of the registration for you.

* I like keeping things simple

On second thought - forget I said that. I just looked up the prices of Honda and Yamaha bikes that were similar, and they were extremely expensive!!!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:39 AM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf

On second thought - forget I said that. I just looked up the prices of Honda and Yamaha bikes that were similar, and they were extremely expensive!!!
might fit in the you get what you pay for category