1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Building a fuel tank to go inside an oak whiskey keg

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building a fuel tank to go inside an oak whiskey keg

I'm building a custom tank to install inside an oak whiskey barrel I have. If everything works as planned it will be mounted in the box and secured to the existing cross member behind the cab. Just thought I'd post a couple of pics for fun and see if anyone has any ideas or thoughts.

31 1/2 long x 15 1/2 wide. If it was completly full it should hold around 21.5 imperial gallons or 26 US gallons. It's being made to cruise and not have to stop at every gas station on route.

You can see the tappings for the pickup tube, the fill connection, the rollover vent and for the sender.

That would be an ice auger for ice fishing in the top RH corner. Was out with it today and got into some nice perch. Ice is already 22" thick.

Here's the barrel I hope to use.

There's going to be 2 baffles inside to keep things from sloshing to bad.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:55 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts
Haha! Why not! It's gonna be great!
The ice is...how thick? Unbelievable!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:27 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks great! Are you going to use a sealer inside when finished?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:05 AM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Too cool!
Are you going to need a return line? I had to run a fuel return line with a electric fuel pump to prevent the pump from locking up in hot weather. Although if the ice is 22" thick, maybe hot weather isn't an issue.....

Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
Looking good! I can't wait to see it finished and mounted in the barrel. I think its a great idea

Bobby

Old 01-18-2015, 03:57 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Old 01-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bluey Zedoff
Haha! Why not! It's gonna be great!
The ice is...how thick? Unbelievable!
Only about 22" right now. Some guys are driving their trucks on it but I will wait till after its at least 2 feet thick.

Originally Posted by tinman52
Looks great! Are you going to use a sealer inside when finished?
I am. I just ordered 2 quarts of Red Kote. They should be here in a couple of days. I looked at the por15 system and a couple other sealers but was nervous with some of the reviews. The Red Kote reviews were more positive and I like that it remains a flexible material. Plus it is designed for gas and diesel.

Originally Posted by 53FOPAR
Too cool!
Are you going to need a return line? I had to run a fuel return line with a electric fuel pump to prevent the pump from locking up in hot weather. Although if the ice is 22" thick, maybe hot weather isn't an issue.....
I'm not using a return line. I'm using a stock fuel pump on the 289. I looked at the electric pumps and have kept all the wiring in my harness in case I need one in the future but I will go mechanical for now.

I tried sanding that barrel down. I've tried a sand blaster, 80 grit, 40 grit and a file. That crap is tough. I haven't made it to the raw wood yet. I think I will clean up the rings and just seal the wood the color it is. Unless some of you have any ideas.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:54 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Cool build on the tank. Where did all the whiskey go? Just bought a Jiffy 10 inch and need a high speed screw. Folks been driving on the ice for a month down here. How are you going to fasten the double barrel to the truck? An oak 4x4 and a bandsaw might do the trick.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Great idea! Way easier than mounting a mustang tank between the frame rails and way more fun.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Originally Posted by toby tough
Cool build on the tank. Where did all the whiskey go? Just bought a Jiffy 10 inch and need a high speed screw. Folks been driving on the ice for a month down here. How are you going to fasten the double barrel to the truck? An oak 4x4 and a bandsaw might do the trick.
I've been thinking of that and I think I am going to use 2 oak 4x4 and set them about 12" in from each end. Have to bevel them to make them fit the barrel profile then run straps around the tank inside the barrel and drop some long bolts through the straps, through the barrel, through the 4x4, through the box and tied to the crossmember with mounting plates. Sounds easy huh? Yikes.
I did make some more progress today. The last baffle and the tank end are welded in so the metal tank is done.

I got the one end of the barrel cut out so the tank fits. I had to screw the cut ends together to keep the ends rigid.

This is what will support the ends of the tank. The exposed ends will be covered with 2 circles of the aluminium checker plate I'm using for the floor.
Oh ya, most of the whiskey was gone but I managed to roll a good 3 gallons of swish out of it before I had to let it dry out. That's Canadian gallons and it tastes pretty smooth. I keep it in the shop in a blue water jug for special visitors.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
God I'd love one of those Jack Daniel's barrels here in the UK!

Old 01-19-2015, 10:52 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bourbon barrels can only be used one time for bourbon. They use to be easily available but now wineries and breweries are using them for special wines and beers. I had two Woodford Reserve barrels we used for rain water. The first few times they were filled you could still smell the bourbon. They only cost me $40 each about ten years ago.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Very cool! I look forward to watching it all come together.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Bourbon barrels can only be used one time for bourbon. They use to be easily available but now wineries and breweries are using them for special wines and beers. I had two Woodford Reserve barrels we used for rain water. The first few times they were filled you could still smell the bourbon. They only cost me $40 each about ten years ago.
Yes, some of the single malts I enjoy are also matured using bourbon barrels too!

Old 01-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Barrels used to be available here to at the distillery but they stopped selling to the public. A few people who work there say its to stop people from making swish. All I know is they are getting hard to find and getting expensive.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to seal the barrel with. I'm leary of any type of varnish because the barrel will expand and contract I'm thinking.

Quick Reply: Building a fuel tank to go inside an oak whiskey keg