Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ELC Freeze Point Testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:56 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELC Freeze Point Testing

I would like to verify the concentration level of red (Zerex) ELC coolant. Can this be done with test strip and if so do I a particular type of test strip?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:20 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Nope. No test strip will tell you what the percentage of coolant is vs. water.

Stewart

Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 AM
enormiss
Senior User
Do the old float testers work on newer AF's?

Says it works on ethylene glycol AF, zerex MSDS lists 98% glycol but not sure about ethylene

Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I found the right MSDS, it says the Zerex extended life is 90-100 percent ethylene glycol.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:27 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Float tester would be fine. I only mentioned test strips because I thought that the float testers were not an option either.

Or is something like this:

Coolant and Battery Refractometer | Robinair

The only option?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:59 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
From the technical data sheet:

Valvoline recommends always topping off with ZEREX™ Extended Life HD coolant, keeping the system full, and using 3 way test strips to check concentration and freeze point regularly
I found some Accustrip test strips, that test 0-60%. I know that I'm in the 0-75% range, but can't be sure I'm lowers than 60%.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:47 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Well I did a lot of looking around. I didn't find anything that convinced me that the specific gravity tools won't work. The only thing I found was that if you wanted to be more accurate then you may want to use a refractometer.

The one thing the floating ball tools will NOT do is tell you if you're over concentrated since at some point all the ***** will float.

I just used a floating ball type and it floated 5 ***** at full strength(20,5,-10,-20,-40) . I then cut the antifreeze with water 3 parts a/f and one part water. 3 pulls on the bulb of antifreeze and one pull of water making sure the pulls when to the same point in the tube.

That floated 3 *****. I believe a -10 reading corresponds to 38.5 concentration of antifreeze.

This would equate to 38 ounces of coolant and 62 ounces of water. Since I added 1/4 water I can back out 25 ounces of water to get my original mixture to 38 ounces of coolant and 37 ounces of water - or right in the ballpark for a 50/50 mix.

I got the same result when doing a test with the gold antifreeze that was drained out.

If this is all correct then it's a simple way to determine if you in the ballpark for the 50/50 mix range that we desire.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:13 PM
enormiss
Senior User
They list 40% at -12° so your floaters accurate and at your current 50% mix says its good to -34°
When I did my pump all I could find was the 50/50 premix so I know I'm diluted some after fresh water flush.
May have to pick up a tester... What one did you get and where did you find the concentrate?

Old 01-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Traildust
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been using the exact Refractometer you linked since I went to ELC over a year ago. I was sort of laughed at for using a refractometer to determine the coolant mixture levels right here on this site. I've kept mine at the -48F since I went to ELC which I think puts me at around 55 to 57% mix. I used Final Charge Global ELC which says -34F is 50% mix. I might need to dilute just a little but will leave it as is for now. The refractometer works fine for me.
Bill

Old 01-19-2015, 05:51 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Traildust
I have been using the exact Refractometer you linked since I went to ELC over a year ago. I was sort of laughed at for using a refractometer to determine the coolant mixture levels right here on this site.
I think they're a good investment. I thing that would be WAY easier and more accurate for checking batteries too....

How easy is it to read?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always check what the label claims the coolant will be at 50% ,then mix small batch at 50%,then test a disc type testers I have, for base line/calibration

Old 01-19-2015, 08:13 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
When I did my pump all I could find was the 50/50 premix so I know I'm diluted some after fresh water flush.
May have to pick up a tester... What one did you get and where did you find the concentrate?
The tester was one I had in my garage. It was brand new AND probably 10 years old.

The ELC I got from NAPA. ZEREX.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

They can also get Rotella, but if it's not on the shelf you'll have to get a case.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by crop harvester
I always check what the label claims the coolant will be at 50% ,then mix small batch at 50%,then test a disc type testers I have, for base line/calibration
Does your tester float all the discs at 50%? A tester that does not float all the discs/***** would be a good find - so you know you're not over on the mixture too.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:44 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjmike
Does your tester float all the discs at 50%? A tester that does not float all the discs/***** would be a good find - so you know you're not over on the mixture too.
No, it has 6 discs,float 5th disc for -35F.Its a Thexton p/n 106 Ethylene Glycol tester

Old 01-21-2015, 02:47 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Traildust
I have been using the exact Refractometer you linked since I went to ELC over a year ago. I was sort of laughed at for using a refractometer to determine the coolant mixture levels right here on this site.
Hmmm, are you sure it was this site that people "sort of laughed at" you and not another forum?

I ask because I did a quick search on your posts, and other than this thread, I found where you used the term coolant three times, two very recently and once back in May of 2013. So based on your post where you stated you were laughed at over a year ago, the post where you claim you got laughed at must be this one here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13188887

In that thread, Greg is the only one that responded to your post (see below)

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
As long as your thermostat is working properly, then ambient temp has very little effect on engine oil and coolant temp....as least in moderate climates.

One of my trucks had a t-stat that was stuck open and I drove it like that for 2 or 3 years before I figured it out. During the cooler seasons....I would have to drive for 10 or 15 miles before I'd get ANY heat in the cabin. My oil temp would max out around 160 at 65 mph and drop down to 100-120 range as soon as I came to a stop. I just figured that was normal for a pickup truck and lived with it. Then we bought another truck for my wife and it warmed up in a mile or two and the oil temp was around 200 (during the winter). At that point I realized I had a problem with my regular truck and fixed the issue.
I don't see where you were laughed at. So I'm thinking you must have FTE confused with another forum.

Stewart

Quick Reply: ELC Freeze Point Testing