Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

PNP find

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
I stopped going to the yards around here because of the lack of trucks and the BS at the counter. Now I scrub Kijiji and buy complete trucks that have a good supply of needed parts and project material. What I know I don't need gets listed as it's free to advertise and the junk goes to the recycler, glass goes to the glass bin at the glass shop a block away. Usually takes 2 trucks to make for a recycler run. Saves me headaches and I aint got no room for anything thats big and needs to be stored.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by privateer, eh
I stopped going to the yards around here because of the lack of trucks and the BS at the counter. Now I scrub Kijiji and buy complete trucks that have a good supply of needed parts and project material. What I know I don't need gets listed as it's free to advertise and the junk goes to the recycler, glass goes to the glass bin at the glass shop a block away. Usually takes 2 trucks to make for a recycler run. Saves me headaches and I aint got no room for anything thats big and needs to be stored.
Well that's just the hard case situation of being in an area without a Pick N Pull location. I used to go to a 'yard about 15 miles from me and the fat guy behind the counter was usually an A-hole. Sometimes he was "nice". If he was having a bad day he'd bend you over forward and randomly jack up the price. After a bad experience, I simply left the parts on the counter and left never to return. A couple of years ago that fat guy was arrested for, among other things, knowingly parting out stolen cars. He's prolly a felon's fatboy toy at San Quentin. The 'yard has since shut down.

PnP, a division of Schnitzer Steel, maintains all their vehicles in a database which is updated pretty much every week. Tour the 'yard and you'll see each vehicle has a bar coded tag which gets scanned when rows are replaced with different vehicles.

Pricing is simple.. they have a fixed parts list with fixed prices. Their 50 percent off promotions typically occur on holidays - MLK, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Veterans Day. Sometimes there are unadvertised 50 percent off days as a "Manager's Special".

The differences in pricing between parts are generally complete assemblies (like an axle), car vs truck/van, or size like a console (smaller than or larger than 19 inches), miscellaneous brackets (smaller or larger than four inches) . For example, those Dennis Carpenter $200 tailgate decor panels are considered a "large emblem"... Therefore, it is $12. A glove box emblem would be $6.

Sometimes there are things not on their list like a light bar I scored off a tow truck. That required some quick dickering but I recall we settled on $50 or so.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:59 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
No doubt! On the bright side, they are kind enough to put carpet down.

The Richmond yard looked like an airplane crashed and disintegrated. I mean, there were parts strewn everywhere. It was insane. Same thing at the Rocklin yard?
Yep carpet down but at this one it's under the stands so you cannot move it. I bring my own anyway. I learned long ago that they'll be out of wheel barrows and there will be the inevitable puddle of oil or water where you want to work.

Actually it was cleaner then normal. They must've cleaned up before I arrived. Of course the Rocklin PnP is a small one compared to the other 4 in my immediate area.

I'm surprised that transfer case was still there. That truck has been there since the first. And of course I find another 78 supercab 4x4 with the more then likely front dana 60 gone.