6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

NHTSA probing F-Series with 6.7s

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:25 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
NHTSA probing F-Series with 6.7s

Hi,

I came across this article tonight while reading the news. I recall some FTE users having this issue of the truck stalling due to some component failure. Here is the link to the article.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...randed-drivers

Ford may have a fairly large recall on its hands if it goes to that point. Quite frankly, I am surprised with all issues in general, Ford just didn't go the recall route to begin with if they know something is up with the Ambulance chassis. I hope it nothing like the firestone fiasco from the late 90s and early 2000s or the whole cruise control issue from the late 80s and 90s.

Good luck to my fellow 6.7 powerplant owners.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:38 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
I hope it nothing like the firestone fiasco from the late 90s and early 2000s or the whole cruise control issue from the late 80s and 90s.

Good luck to my fellow 6.7 powerplant owners.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Funny, you bring up Firestone. I am not familiar with issues in the 90's, but my father got caught in the Firestone 500 fiasco back in 1973. It's not just in recent years where company's would not stand behind their defective products. What an expensive mess.

Funny how a company can lose customers and their customers kids for life when they chose to deceive. Of course, company honchos don't care about the future, they have no vested interest. Just what they can suck from the company, here and now.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:45 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,337 Likes on 1,762 Posts
Nifty

I suppose that if you already had this happen to your truck and paid to get it towed and fixed yourself that you won't get reimbursed if it goes against ford?

Old 01-17-2015, 11:18 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wingedone
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Funny, you bring up Firestone. I am not familiar with issues in the 90's, but my father got caught in the Firestone 500 fiasco back in 1973. It's not just in recent years where company's would not stand behind their defective products. What an expensive mess.
IIRC, This is where Ford Explorers (MY 1996-2001) were known as Exploders since the tires would fail while in operation. I believe there were about dozen or so deaths because of it. Ford and Firestone pointed fingers at one another. Firestone said the tires should have been inflated to the sidewall specs, not to the door sticker specs. Firestone claimed the pressures recommended by Ford was too low. Ford claimed they provided everything to Firestone and Firestone Oked everything. Ford pretty much bucked up had a tire swap program or Explorer owners who had firestone tires during that period. In the end, the Explorer was blacklisted with rental companies such as U haul. I you had a Explorer they would not rent trailers to you. They did revise the policy to the MY 2012 and later. However, my 2005 is a no go with U haul.

That's it in a nut shell. I could be forgetting something of this. Afterall this happened 15 years ago.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:22 AM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
IIRC, This is where Ford Explorers (MY 1996-2001) were known as Exploders since the tires would fail while in operation. I believe there were about dozen or so deaths because of it. Ford and Firestone pointed fingers at one another. Firestone said the tires should have been inflated to the sidewall specs, not to the door sticker specs. Firestone claimed the pressures recommended by Ford was too low. Ford claimed they provided everything to Firestone and Firestone Oked everything. Ford pretty much bucked up had a tire swap program or Explorer owners who had firestone tires during that period. In the end, the Explorer was blacklisted with rental companies such as U haul. I you had a Explorer they would not rent trailers to you. They did revise the policy to the MY 2012 and later. However, my 2005 is a no go with U haul.

That's it in a nut shell. I could be forgetting something of this. Afterall this happened 15 years ago.
Ford investigated the suspect Firestone tires on their own and came to the conclusion that the scope of Firestones recall was way too narrow. Ford stepped up and did, at their expense, what Firestone should have done, imho. But the core problem with that mess was soccer mom types not checking their air pressure. I worked on those trucks quite a bit in those days and it was not unusual to have one roll in with 13-15 psi in the rear tires. Putting around town no problems. But load the truck up and hit the highway you'd overheat and blow the tires. Panic ensues and trucks end up rolled over.....
And a funny story over the u haul blacklisting. I had a buddy with a Mercury Mountaineer, no more than a Explorer with a funny grill, that could rent whatever he wanted including the auto transport trailer from them. The counter guys at u haul first told him we can't rent trailers to customers using Explorers. My buddy countered it's not an explorer, its a mountaineer. Counter guy looks that up, shakes his head, and asks what trailer do you need today.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:04 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
They also recalled all Excursions during the 99-'02 model years and put the correct tires on them. They came from the factory with "D" rated tires, which were not enough for the weight of the truck, provided the towing specs Ford provided. The door jam sticker also called for a 8 ply tire, "D" rated to be inflated to 28-34 pounds for "comfort"! The main problem was the tires were underinflated.

Now, wonder if Ford will change its mind on how well the sensors are made. Ford's idea of shutting the truck down has bothered me for many years. The other mfrs let theirs go into limp mode and are at least can be operated when the sensor fails. When our trucks fail, the truck shuts down no matter where it is. In traffic, pulling out into traffic or coming down a mountain pulling 28K pounds with your family in the truck. Ridiculous. I've been a driver in an F450 ambulance with a VERY critical cardiac patient in the back, and the truck shut down due to a damn EGT sensor. Had to wait nearly 25 minutes for anther truck to get to us. When you are talking cardiac calls, time is very critical! Talk about being pissed! Plus it was 22* outside. Not a good thing for Ford to allow. We've now had over 1.4 million miles on Freightliner trucks without a single failure from EGT sensors. The Fords keep on failing.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm, if ford were smart they would just flash the pcm to do as you suggest Monty. Wouldn't be expensive, slightly embarrassing, but could spin moderately positive pr out of it. Then, in the near future update the sensor so it's not so delicate.

Sad thing is, I'm confident that ford is only complying with the epa tiered diesel emissions requirements and there is probably language in the document from the epa that specifically mandates vehicle shutdown in the event that the exhaust could be above acceptable levels. I'm betting that other manufacturers simply decided to pay fines instead of full compliance.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
That needs to be expanded all the way to model year 2008 to include the 6.4. It suffered as well.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is that the EPA mandates all this stuff, and all these extra components are added to the truck.

Then people wonder why the h*** it breaks down.

I've worked with EPA people in Washington before (long story). These people are completely clueless wanna be do-gooders, but they are making the environment actually worse, not better, by all their regulations.

None of the could possibly understand why anybody who does not have to have a semi and haul 80k pounds would actually NEED a diesel truck, nor do they care.

They think a Prius can be used as a tow vehicle. They complain about garbage trucks being smoky. They complain about garbage doing to the garbage dump.

Ugh....you would believe the stories I could tell you. Maybe I'll write a book one of these days.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the interesting things that I thought was strange is that it said the NHTSA was acting on the basis of 30 consumer complaints. For some reason that sounds like a very small number from both the standpoint on only having received 30 complaints and to begin a investigative probe based off of such a limited number or percentage of the fore mentioned vehicle on the road.

Also thought it is strange that they have limited the scope of model years to the 2011 and 2012 production. I have noticed from post here on the forum that these are the most effected model years, but don't believe it is limited to these years either.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:26 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Maybe we need to be careful, before we as owners of the 6.7 PSD may find ourselves in a government mandated required position to have the equivalent of diesel powertrain health insurance.
On the other hand, maybe we will also qualify for government subsidized pricing on the Ford ESP.

Point being, I just hate it when the government either needs to step in or feels the need to step in to correct a problem or issue created by another branch of the administration of government.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:27 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Hopefully, when it's all said and done, they will include every engine that has been programmed to shut down upon sensor failure. Even a limp mode is better than what we get now.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Hopefully, when it's all said and done, they will include every engine that has been programmed to shut down upon sensor failure. Even a limp mode is better than what we get now.
We can only hope that the limp mode will allow it to limp along with 18,000 pounds of trailer behind it.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:44 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree. I know I filed a complaint, along with my agency, in 2010 on the 6.4L that shut down on us, and have never heard a word. All it would take is for them to GOOGLE 6.4L-6.7L Ford EGT FAILURE and sit back and read! It does make me wonder though, as long as it took Ford to respond to the cam sensor failures in the 7.3L, is NHTSA getting all of the facts from Ford? If they asked Ford how many failures they've had, you can bet the answer would be more than 30, or someone lied! Or they set a certain criteria for the data.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm not sure what is better? Sensor fails that monitor safety so they shut the truck down or they let it run with a CEL and you destroy engine / exhaust components.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: NHTSA probing F-Series with 6.7s