6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Did I make the right choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 AM
hollygreenman
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Did I make the right choice?

I'm really wondering if I did the right thing by buying a diesel, what with all the maintenance and potential problems.

2015 F350 6.7, 1100 miles, sitting in the (heated) garage because I hate driving anything nice in the salt. I've done nothing to it except fuel it. Nothing. I bought it for no other reason than, I wanted it, and for the very occasional pull.

Little background first. I bought a used "93 f150 2wd in 2000, traded it in on a 2006 f150 2wd. I got stuck in my parking spot and swore I would never buy a 2wd again. I haven't.

Traded that in on a '08 f150 4wd. I was happy with that until I tried pulling loaded car hauler about 200 miles. Woefully underpowered.

Traded that in on 2013 F250 6.2 CC srw. Nice truck, but terrible gas mileage and underpowered for pulling, in my opinion.

Traded that in on the '15 Super Duty diesel. Man, that thing is like a rocket! The power is phenomenal and I haven't even got on it or pulled anything. I love this truck!

Now, the reason for my apprehension. I'm sure you've heard it before ad nauseum - DEF, water in fuel, drain water every now and then, delete, tuners, etc. What the heck is a delete?

I can deal with the costs, I just don't want to be driving down the road one day fat, dumb and happy, and have the thing break down because I unknowingly failed to perform proper maintenance.

Are my fears warranted? Am I overthinking this? Ease my fears, gentlemen.

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Put diesel in the fuel tank. Put DEF in the DEF tank. I would run a lubrication additive in the fuel, but that's me. Change fuel filters when required. Drain fuel / water separator once a month. Change the oil when it says so.

You'll be good to go. Deletes and tuners are fun, but their days are numbered in this country. The EPA is actively going after the manufactuers. Next will be the owners.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by hollygreenman
I'm really wondering if I did the right thing by buying a diesel, what with all the maintenance and potential problems.

2015 F350 6.7, 1100 miles, sitting in the (heated) garage because I hate driving anything nice in the salt. I've done nothing to it except fuel it. Nothing. I bought it for no other reason than, I wanted it, and for the very occasional pull.

Little background first. I bought a used "93 f150 2wd in 2000, traded it in on a 2006 f150 2wd. I got stuck in my parking spot and swore I would never buy a 2wd again. I haven't.

Traded that in on a '08 f150 4wd. I was happy with that until I tried pulling loaded car hauler about 200 miles. Woefully underpowered.

Traded that in on 2013 F250 6.2 CC srw. Nice truck, but terrible gas mileage and underpowered for pulling, in my opinion.

Traded that in on the '15 Super Duty diesel. Man, that thing is like a rocket! The power is phenomenal and I haven't even got on it or pulled anything. I love this truck!

Now, the reason for my apprehension. I'm sure you've heard it before ad nauseum - DEF, water in fuel, drain water every now and then, delete, tuners, etc. What the heck is a delete?

I can deal with the costs, I just don't want to be driving down the road one day fat, dumb and happy, and have the thing break down because I unknowingly failed to perform proper maintenance.

Thanks.
If you understand modern diesels, I think your fears are totally unwarranted! And for the 6.2'being underpowered, I believe we are just spoiled.
My post from another thread.
As an addenum to my first post in this thread, I would like to state that I have driven a few 18 wheelers that did not have the power that the 6.2 makes, and a lot of pickups that did not even come close. So, with that being said, the 6.2, even with the 3.73 gears is a very capable platform. But, no, it will not be the same towing experience as pulling with the 6.7L PSD.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:53 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maintenance on these is a little more expensive but not really that bad. Just follow the owners manual, use OEM filters and enjoy the truck. Fuel up at well traveled stations for fresh fuel and once again enjoy the truck. I did put a locking cap on my fuel tank. Am considering a cylinder lock for the fuel door. If you can do your own or most of the maintenance that can save you a few bucks there.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You have a better towing vehicle than I do BUT...
6.2 Radiators don't leak.
No fuel additive to make up for cetane levels.
No antigell needed.
No idling problems.
No heat problems.
No def. to buy.
No def system to worry about.
No regens.
No exhaust sensor/shut down while towing scenarios.
No fuel filters.
No fuel filters waxed up.
No $10,000 fuel pump nightmares.
No $100.00+ oil-changes.
No coolant testing.
No draining water from fuel.
No turbo issues.
No need to delete anything.
Lower fuel prices.
More options locating good fuel.
35 gallon fuel tank on short beds.
Less $$$$$ up front.
ETC. ETC.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Blapensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hollygreenman

Thanks.
if you weren't happy with the 6.2 then id say you made the right choice. sure its more expensive to own but the cost is nothing to me when I'm very happy with my vehicle. i never had a vehicle for more than 2 years before i got sick of it and traded for something else. I'm coming on 3 years with this truck and have no plans for something else. if you have any specific questions with your new truck i suggest just posting them in this tread this is a good site for help

Old 01-17-2015, 10:27 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by T diesel
You have a better towing vehicle than I do BUT...
6.2 Radiators don't leak.
No fuel additive to make up for cetane levels.
No antigell needed.
No idling problems.
No heat problems.
No def. to buy.
No def system to worry about.
No regens.
No exhaust sensor/shut down while towing scenarios.
No fuel filters.
No fuel filters waxed up.
No $10,000 fuel pump nightmares.
No $100.00+ oil-changes.
No coolant testing.
No draining water from fuel.
No turbo issues.
No need to delete anything.
Lower fuel prices.
More options locating good fuel.
35 gallon fuel tank on short beds.
Less $$$$$ up front.
ETC. ETC.
Your first sentence sums it up. I couldn't live with the 6.2 towing a 31 foot 5er thru the Eastern Sierras however that doesn't bother some people and that's what makes the world turn and why we have choices. I'm willing to pay for the added power and peace of mind.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Let's be real. The 6.2 has more power than the 90s diesels. That being said, diesels are no longer cheaper for most of us who don't drive the wheels off of them. We pay the $8k cost for the driving experience. As soon as you realize that, the happier you'll be. Diesels are not the economical choice for most.

Heck, we don't buy diesels at work anymore because of the careful maintenance and cost.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-17-2015, 11:20 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Read, reread and understand your owner's guide and Diesel supplement and follow the recommended service schedule. You'll be fine. The smooth and quiet power you have under your foot will reward you with a smile every time you drive it. Don't worry about it. If I ever buy a gas engine again, it will be in a Mustang.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I will only add a couple of things here.

First is watch your fuel source. Don't buy from low volume locations. Best bet for good fuel with no water. Does not mean you won't get any so drain the separator monthly if not more.

When you do drive it make it work a bit. Get to full temps.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:00 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,188 Likes on 572 Posts
I am probably the least worried person on this forum so maybe I can add balance. I change my own oil with Rotella T6 at 5k and Motorcraft filter. About $95 total. I never drain my fuel filter unless it's time for it to be changed. The two filters are very easy to change and about $50 for the pair. I put DEF in the tank when necessary and diesel in from any station that has a diesel sign out front. No additives. Other than that, I turn the key, it starts, then I drive it. I don't worry about any of the internet stories. Yes, failures happen but bad news travels fast and lasts forever on the net. You don't read about the thousands and thousands of guys driving their 6.7's who have no idea what a forum is. Just enjoy and forget the buyers remorse.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:05 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Karl hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:31 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heck I just bought my 2012 f350 with 104k miles on it. The reciever hitch tube didn't even have a scratch in it. So the PO never towed a thing, just used it for driving. I have every confidence in this truck being problem free for another 100k. I did delete mine. But more because I plow and couldn't face down time related to failed egt sensors. I use opti lube xpd which is also demulsifier. I drain my filter housing about ever oil change. My truck works hard! Pulls a skid steer almost daily in the Summer and plows in the winter. I put 225k on a totally problematic 2004 6.0 and managed to never be stuck on the side of the road.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:21 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am just going to repeat what others have said, change the oil at 5k mile intervals, I also use Rotella T6 and Motorcraft oil filters, change the fuel filters every 3rd oil change or 15k miles using Motorcraft filters, add DEF when the computer says you are down to 500 miles about 2 1/2 gallons, drain the fuel bowl once a month, and I use fuel stations that have a lot of activity at their Diesel pumps. These trucks are very easy to maintain, Ford has done a good job of making these things user friendly. I change my oil, filter and fuel filters in an hour, it really is that easy. I also have little notebook that I write everything in, just in case. I have also said that as soon as the DPF gives me any problems it comes off, of course I haven't had any issues but I think when I hit the 36k mile mark it's coming off regardless. Also if you are worried about DPF sensors , then buy a spare sensor and a 13mm wrench and you can fix it yourself if it would come to that.
Most of the issues were from the DPF system, faulty sensors shutting down the truck, and thats why a lot of people delete it, and never have to worry about sudden breakdowns. The engine and transmissions have proven to be very reliable, so don't worry just drive it, put some miles on it, don't baby it this things want to be worked.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:29 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Heck I just bought my 2012 f350 with 104k miles on it. The reciever hitch tube didn't even have a scratch in it. So the PO never towed a thing, just used it for driving. I have every confidence in this truck being problem free for another 100k. I did delete mine. But more because I plow and couldn't face down time related to failed egt sensors. I use opti lube xpd which is also demulsifier. I drain my filter housing about ever oil change. My truck works hard! Pulls a skid steer almost daily in the Summer and plows in the winter. I put 225k on a totally problematic 2004 6.0 and managed to never be stuck on the side of the road.
Wow, what a coincidence I just sold a 2012 F350 with about 104K miles on it. Just before I listed it for sale I put on a new receiver hitch so that potential buyers would think it had never towed or been abused near as much as I beat that poor truck darn near to death......

Relax, I'm kidding,

Quick Reply: Did I make the right choice?