Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Trying to find the maker

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 12:36 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Trying to find the maker

Well on the way home yesterday I had one of my 33 12.50 16.5's pop a cord and seperate the tread No real harm done, damaged the bedside, tail light, tail gate, etc but atleast no one was hurt. Atleast now I have an excuse to buy my 31 10.50 16.5's I can't stand seeing mis matched tires just a personal preference
Anyhow I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I would like to find who the made the tires. All that is said on them is WideTrack Radial Baja. Nothing in the fine print. The sad part is they only have about 2000 mi on them. I bought them second hand so their probably won't be any warranty but it's worth a shot.
Thanks!

Old 07-21-2003, 07:19 PM
78f3504x4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to find the maker

I just did a search on them, and there was a recall on "Firestone wide track radial baja" tires in the 30" size. Try your search function. Maybe Firestone made them for a discount private label. Costco? BJ's?

Old 07-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Rand
Elder User
Trying to find the maker

Try a google search for
+widetrack +radial +baja
make sure you use the + signs that means all words are required.

It looks like firestone to me. The first 20 hits on www.google.com
were all firestone advisories or recall stuff.
I bet you can get money for replacement tires.
Maybe even damages(for your bedside etc).
Rand

Old 07-22-2003, 03:25 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Trying to find the maker

Thanks for the replys! I just checked the Firestone recalls and Widetrack Radial Baja is one of their many smaller compaines. All of which have been recalled. Now I need to find out who to contact.
As far as the bedside I already filed a claim with the insurance company so I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get anything from firestone.
Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2003, 03:56 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Trying to find the maker

Well the search is on again! I called the local firestone dealer but they can not do anything about them because they are not a Baja dealer......... I tried doing a search for dealers of Widetrack Radial Baja's and their was no luck...maybe firestone can answer some questions...

Old 07-22-2003, 05:53 PM
cmlind
Senior User
Trying to find the maker

Up here in Minnesota, Fleet Farm sells them. I always thought they were made by Duralon. Maybe Duralon is part of Firestone. Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Old 07-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Rand
Elder User
Trying to find the maker

Duralon might be a private label for firestone?
Just like Dean is for cooper. Or dayton is for firestone?

Regardless google dont lie. Do a search on what I posted earlier and all you see is FIRESTONE FIRESTONE FIRESTONe for pages.

Rand

Old 07-22-2003, 11:13 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Trying to find the maker

nope...duralon is a manufacturer of tires. Fleet farm is their main retailer i belive

Old 07-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Rand
Elder User
Trying to find the maker

Tire Models In Question

NEW YORK, Sept. 29, 2000

(CBS/AP)

(CBS) After receiving 169 complaints about Steeltex R4S and A/T light truck tires, Federal regulators Friday opened a seperate investigation into that brand of Firestone tires.

The company has already recalled 6.5 million tires under three other brands. The Firestone tires being recalled are all 15-inch P235/75R ATX and ATX II tires and all same-sized Wilderness AT tires made at Firestone's Decatur, Ill., plant.

Meanwhile, warranty and claims data led Continental General Tire to announce it would replace for free about 160,000 tires that can lose part of their tread. About 140,000 of the 16-inch ContiTrac AS tires were original equipment on about 38,000 1998 and 1999 model year Lincoln Navigators made by Ford Motor Co. Another 20,000 were sold as replacement tires.

In addition to those tires under recall, Federal investigators said the Firestone tires they were looking at in the first Firestone investigation were sold under more than three dozen different names. Tires affected by their probe, but not recalled, include all sizes of the following models:

AMERICAN PROSPECTOR A/T
ATX SPARE
DAYTONA RADIAL A/S
DAYTONA RADIAL RLT A/S
DAYTONA RADIAL STAG

DAYTONA RADIAL STAG A/T
DAYTONA RADIAL STAG LUG
DAYTONA RADIAL STAG LUG O
DAYTONA RADIAL STAG XT (LUG)
FIREHAWK AXT

FORCE 4 ALL TERRAIN
FORCE 4 RADIAL
GILETTE FORCE 4
LEMANS RADIAL A/T
PEERLESS FORCE 4

PLATINUM A/T
RADIAL ATX
RADIAL ATX 23 DEGREE
RADIAL ATX II
RADIAL ATX III

SEIBERLING TRAILRIDER A/S
STEEL TEX RADIAL 23 DEGREE
TRIUMPH TERRAIN LT
WIDETRACK RADIAL BAJA
WIDETRACK RADIAL BAJA A/S

WIDETRACK RADIAL BAJA A/T
WIDETRACK RADIAL BAJA LUG X/T
WILDERNESS AT
WILDERNESS AT I
WILDERNESS AT II

WILDERNESS AT III
WILDERNESS AT SPECIAL SERVICE
WILDERNESS HT
WILDERNESS HT I
WILDERNESS HT II

WILDERNESS HT IV
WILDERNESS LE

Rand

Old 07-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Rand
Elder User
Trying to find the maker

OH and another nifty thing i just found
http://www.tiredefects.com/private_b...es/Default.htm
PRIVATE BRAND | TIRE SELLER | TIRE MAKER
Duralon | Midstates Dist. | Bridgestone/Firestone

Psst. I told you so ryan.

Rand

Old 07-23-2003, 05:58 AM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Trying to find the maker

Yep, those were the pages I was looking at on Google. Hopefully they won't take weeks to respond to emails...

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM
ccore
New User
Did they call the tires?

Greetigns 79_250RangerLariat
I picked up 4 33 12.50 16.5 Baja Radial Widetrack made in 1996 and have VDXF W1 and found out they are on the recall. I contacted firestone and they are giving me the run around.

Were you able to return the ones you had for new ones?

Thanks,
Randy

Old 08-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ccore
Greetigns 79_250RangerLariat
I picked up 4 33 12.50 16.5 Baja Radial Widetrack made in 1996 and have VDXF W1 and found out they are on the recall. I contacted firestone and they are giving me the run around.

Were you able to return the ones you had for new ones?

Thanks,
Randy
Of course you're getting the run around. Those tires are 13years old. The average life for tires is 5years, max life expectancy is 10years.

Not to mention this issue is from six years ago-

Old 08-30-2009, 02:06 PM
ccore
New User
That's not the point. The tires are in great shape and if they are recalls they should take them back.

Their 2001 recall line is still active. Are you saying that firestone should not take the tires because they were on a truck in storage for 8 years.

If they are recalls then firestone should replace them, no matter how much time has passed. It was their defect.

So following what you said. You need to let everyone here know they need to replace their tires after 5 years even if they are still good. Good luck with that.

Randy

Old 08-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Copied from http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tec...tend-life.html :

Tire Expiration
Many people don't know this, but tires have somewhat of an expiration date. Just what exactly the expiration date should be remains a bit of an argument. The U.S. tire companies state 10 years is a reasonable useful lifespan for a tire, while other countries claim 6 years is more appropriate.

The problem here is not so much that people use their tires for over 10 years, but rather they purchase tires that are several years old to begin with. The date of manufacture of most any tire is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. These are normally stamped within a recessed oval on the sidewall. What you should be most concerned with is the last portion of this code, which offers the date of manufacture.

Deciphering Tire Code
Tire manufacturers are not yet required by law to exhibit clearly when a tire was manufactured. In order to gain this information, you are going to need to know how to break their code. For instance, if your tire code says 6DY608, you should focus on the last number digits, which can be read as the 6 (sixth week) of the year 2008. Or, in other words, February 14th, 2008.

If a tire code reads 9PY161, the fact that the last two digits do not start with a zero (such as in 08), tells you that this tire was manufactured before the year 2000. In this case the "1" indicates 1991 and The "16" portion of the code indicates 16 weeks within that year. So, 9PY161, tells you a tire was manufactured on the sixteenth week of 1991, or in other words, March 14th, 1991.

This is one of dozens of places you can find this info. I'm not saying the tires shouldn't be replaced, but they may have closed the recall campaign now. Those can expire as well, I'm fairly sure the Steeltex and Wilderness AT II recalls are over now-

Quick Reply: Trying to find the maker