1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Where should i send my IDM to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:17 AM
bill wilson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should i send my IDM to?

I have stage 1.5 injectors in m pickup and it was brought to my attention that specific tuning should be done to the IDM for it to run properly. Dyno proven used to have a great deal that you send in your iDM and have it redone for 150. But now it's gone on the website. I could call but just seeing if anyone else has any better places to send my IDM to. I hope this will solve my missing and knocking problem at idle. It still does it but only randomly. It will run fine down the highway and when revving it up. Sometimes it will confuse it self electronically and run fine at idle for a few seconds if I rev it, then it will continue to miss and knock. My brother ha the same problem with his. His is way more built up though. And he says it may be because the IDM isn't giving the correct amount of voltage to an injector at idle causing it to miss and act weird. When it runs fine it doesn't knock. But when it misses, it knocks. Thanks

Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I got mine at Swamps but it was more expensive. I don't see the IDM as being your problem.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:19 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
AFAIK there is no "tuning" of the IDM. It's solid state, but it's not a computer with a set of programs like the PCM. It just stupidly gets the command from the PCM about when and how to fire each injector, and it converts that command into a high-voltage pulse to the appropriate injector. Maybe your new injectors require one of the newer higher-voltage IDMs. But that's a physical characteristic of the IDM, not a "tune".

Old 01-16-2015, 01:06 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill, depending on which IDM you have, you can search the threads on "IDM MOD" to increase you voltage to a 140-IDM. Which is the cheapest method out there. Or you can go pick up an IDM 120 from a 03 super duty 7.3, if you are squeamish about soldering.

Swamps does a little more than add the resistor, they also to wavelength and a few other adjustments IIRC. But it cost's almost as much as a brand new IDM without a core charge.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:56 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Doesn't sound like the idm to me either. Do you still have the stock fuel system? Any way to monitor pressure?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Unless you have a Check engine light for a MISS. The IDM is NOT your problem

Old 01-16-2015, 11:49 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking about it, this knock, does it register on the tach when you are idling? Erratic jumping around, etc?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:51 PM
bill wilson
Senior User
I do not have a check engine light. But God only knows if it even comes on anymore or if the light for it is burnt out or something. And I'm not sure if it erratically jumps but it does idle from 550 to 600 rpm and you can hear it and feel it and see it on the tach

Old 01-17-2015, 12:34 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The Check Engine light blinks when you first turn the key to RUN. But it's REAL short, like, less than 1/4 second. So don't blink or you'll miss it....

Old 01-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bill wilson
I have stage 1.5 injectors in m pickup and it was brought to my attention that specific tuning should be done to the IDM for it to run properly. Dyno proven used to have a great deal that you send in your iDM and have it redone for 150. But now it's gone on the website. I could call but just seeing if anyone else has any better places to send my IDM to. I hope this will solve my missing and knocking problem at idle. It still does it but only randomly. It will run fine down the highway and when revving it up. Sometimes it will confuse it self electronically and run fine at idle for a few seconds if I rev it, then it will continue to miss and knock. My brother ha the same problem with his. His is way more built up though. And he says it may be because the IDM isn't giving the correct amount of voltage to an injector at idle causing it to miss and act weird. When it runs fine it doesn't knock. But when it misses, it knocks. Thanks
Sounds like a failing CPS to me.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:46 AM
bill wilson
Senior User
I have replaced the CPS with a new one and it didn't change anything so I put the old one back on. I have the new one in the glovebox just in case. I replaced the ICP and the IPR. ICP is OEM ford and the IPR is a rebuilt one. I have newer valve cover gaskets as well. I did those before the injectors were taken out. It missed before injectors were put in but no knock. So I got injectors done and it still misses and now knocks. Before injectors It smoked a lot of white when I revved it up. I actually have 3 videos on YouTube of it running I will post on here. One is cold started running on all 8. Another is it warned up missing and knocking. And another is before all the work when it first started missing

Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 AM
bill wilson
Senior User

Here is before all the work when it first missed

Old 01-17-2015, 07:49 AM
bill wilson
Senior User
Old 01-17-2015, 07:51 AM
bill wilson
Senior User

Here she is warmed up. Missing and knocking. Has always felt like its on the passenger side.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill have you done a compression test on this motor. I noticed it had/ has a k&n style filter on it and kinda wonder what the numbers would be. It would be the first place I would look especially with all the money you've already invested. If all checks out the start checking resistance.

Quick Reply: Where should i send my IDM to?