6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DEF nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:50 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DEF nightmare

Showing separation of DEF and contaminate

showing inside of DEF tank. You can see yellow color and chunks inside DEF tank. Rubber gasket it top was swollen showing it was a petroleum base contaminate causing a reaction.

Sending sample to Black Stone-Labs for evaluation of what the foreign product is.
Has anybody had this happen to them? At the cost of $1600.00

Old 01-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
looks almost like diesel....what does it smell like?....you might clean the tank and put in a new pump assembly?

A new seal, pump and reservoir is less than 650 at Tasca...not including shipping...

DIESEL AFTERTREATMENT SYSTEM for 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty

Old 01-15-2015, 04:49 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
I had one awhile back (shortly after the 2011 model years were just released), that the owner put fuel cetane booster additive into the tank. The appearance of the contaminated DEF was of a milky consistency. I'm assuming you got quoted an entire SCR system replacement (which is the proper repair for this). What was poured into the DEF filler, and who poured it?

Old 01-15-2015, 05:09 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I had one awhile back (shortly after the 2011 model years were just released), that the owner put fuel cetane booster additive into the tank. The appearance of the contaminated DEF was of a milky consistency. I'm assuming you got quoted an entire SCR system replacement (which is the proper repair for this). What was poured into the DEF filler, and who poured it?
What are the effects of contaminate in the scr system? You can't just flush the system?

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-15-2015, 06:34 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
What are the effects of contaminate in the scr system? You can't just flush the system?

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
Nope. Replacement is the appropriate repair. Same as putting DEF into the fuel tank on one of these. As a matter of fact, Ford does sell a high pressure fuel system kit that consists of the HPFP, all the lines, both rails and all eight injectors. (Part number EC3Z-9B246-A) So yeah, contaminating either system on one of these is a very expensive accident.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:46 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's diesel poured into the def tank. I've never done it, hope I never do. I just filled my def tank today and it's like hookin up a trailer, leave me alone and don't bother me til I'm done.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Might be an insurance claim if you think someone did that to your truck.

Too me this seems like a really hard thing to do. So it had to be done on purpose.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 2,087 Posts
Maybe Ford needs to move the DEF tank to the rear of truck so you have to buy a flip down license plate holder like we did in the 70's.....

Old 01-16-2015, 05:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
separate locking door is a solution too.

or lock the cap if you can find one that would fit.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:39 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Dealer is replacing the entire system $1600 approx. Hope to get it back today. As far as what is in there I honestly don't know. It smells just like WD40 but there is over a quart of liquid in there that looks like oil. We do know that it is petroleum based because the swollen ring.

I did send out the sample to Black Stone - Labs to find out exactly what was put in the tank.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Might be an insurance claim if you think someone did that to your truck.

Too me this seems like a really hard thing to do. So it had to be done on purpose.
Agree with this....
Have you ever lent the truck out or let someone else fuel it up?
A mistake is one thing, but if it wasn't that, it was a deliberate sabotage of your truck. Who would do such a thing?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Agree with this....
Have you ever lent the truck out or let someone else fuel it up?
A mistake is one thing, but if it wasn't that, it was a deliberate sabotage of your truck. Who would do such a thing?
That's the hard part. I never let it out of my site except when it's with the dealer. And i'm not blaming them.
My son thinks it might be someone I cut off or pissed off on the road. I think that may be true or some car fanatic seeing the Large "Ford enthusiasts" decal on the rear window. (You know the guy's with the boy pissing on the Ford Decal)

Old 01-16-2015, 06:44 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel
That's the hard part. I never let it out of my site except when it's with the dealer. And i'm not blaming them.
My son thinks it might be someone I cut off or pissed off on the road. I think that may be true or some car fanatic seeing the Large "Ford enthusiasts" decal on the rear window. (You know the guy's with the boy pissing on the Ford Decal)

If that's the case, I agree with Scott and would def file an insurance claim...

Old 01-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 2,087 Posts
Not many people know how to sabotage a new truck, even a disgruntled X wife... If you have no idea, I would contact your insurance agency as mentioned.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Not many people know how to sabotage a new truck, even a disgruntled X wife... If you have no idea, I would contact your insurance agency as mentioned.
I will contact the insurance as soon as I get results of what was put in the tank. Only problem with reporting it to insurance is the fact that I have fixed the truck at ford. So they can't see the damage. Even though I have pictures and sample of the contaminate. But we will see what happens one step at a time.

Quick Reply: DEF nightmare