1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Gloria: OBS build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:02 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
That wasnt my point tho; i was more interested in why not make the assembly more modular for service. I know thered be two gaskets in that scenario.. If machining wasnt an issue itd be the correct way to go about constructing the assembly; itd actually be even better if the upps were segrigated but retained together w a collar but thats a moot point now...
Stay tuned on my thread...you will approve of my/bills plan..

Andrew...my stix made the jump to an s400 logical.hehe

Old 01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Krause
Hey Guys, I'll do a small update here.

SNIP
Andrew,

I am thinking you are really going to wish that you had used vband's on that turbo flange to up-pipe interface...

Makes install so much easier.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Jim at Rosewood Modifies stock up-pipes to be bellowed and BOLT on w/ flanges

Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by glovemeister
Andrew,

I am thinking you are really going to wish that you had used vband's on that turbo flange to up-pipe interface...

That is my plan.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by glovemeister
Andrew,

Oohhhh, i like the sound of that!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
I got the interlocking style v bands as that side especially is under a lot of pressure and heat .

They are one of the last things I'm waiting to arrive. Installing that mess in one piece just seems like it would be hard on the bellows to Dow them that hard.
My drivers side up pipe is miserable to get in and out.last time I unbolted that side of the cab when I did the bellowed set last year. since andrew has his engine out it won't be an issue I don't believe.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:45 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How would you use V-bands and clamps in this application? It would seem the custom collector inlet is so close together that would make it somewhat difficult, or am I missing something here.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:39 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
I plan on placing them in a similar distance as the old slip joint or wherever they fit and are accessible
Then everything can be assembled loosly one part at a time. then tightened
Its all theory for me as i have not done this before.bill and I discussed having them on his build but he was in a hurry and they didn't arrive fast enough.
Andrew, sorry for hijacking your build.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:33 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbonetics uses v-band connectors on their up pipes.

I wanted to build mine similar to this, but didn't get the v-bands in time. I figured I would weld them up and then put the v-bands in later, but I put a bend in the passenger side up pipe to clear the 3 1/2" down pipe, and didn't have a long enough straight section on that side to put the v-band connectors in. Rather than start all over I plan on building another collector and pipes one day, using the v-bands. I have a mock up engine on a stand to do this, so it's really not a big deal.
You can see here the bend in the pass side pipe. After it was all said and done, and the down pipe was in, I didn't even need that bend there I don't think. I didn't have the down pipe to when I built the up pipes to gauge anything by, because I built the down pipe later.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:08 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
I have to say. That turbonetics mount looks nice.
I had not seen that before.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Looks like you're making good progress Andrew. There are a bunch of ways to do this. So long as it gets the job done, it works in my book! There's more than one way to skin a cat...

Originally Posted by fordman67
I have to say. That turbonetics mount looks nice.
I had not seen that before.
Yeah, that's dead sexy. Wonder what they would charge for a setup like that without the snail...

Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
First born son...

Luckily I only have girls lol

Old 01-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see this go up! I enjoyed chatting with you more this year than the previous, but I do remember the MANY passes you did in the range rover as well as seeing your back end pop-up from a couple launches this year.

Cant wait to see the turnout this year! Everyone's doing big things.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:04 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Well, not EVERYBODY, lol...

Old 01-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Krause
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
I plan on placing them in a similar distance as the old slip joint or wherever they fit and are accessible
Then everything can be assembled loosly one part at a time. then tightened
Its all theory for me as i have not done this before.bill and I discussed having them on his build but he was in a hurry and they didn't arrive fast enough.
Andrew, sorry for hijacking your build.
Haha no worries guys, I know this forum moves along quite quickly!

To address all the talk about Vband clamps, I think it's a great idea. That said, I suppose my approach was that I knew there were many T4 kits out there functioning well without them (all of irates kits utilize the style used here). And as mentioned, My motor will be out, so Im not too worried about the install. With any luck, they shouldn't need to be removed other than for mods that would warrant another engine removal.

Originally Posted by ReBilld

You can see here the bend in the pass side pipe. After it was all said and done, and the down pipe was in, I didn't even need that bend there I don't think. I didn't have the down pipe to when I built the up pipes to gauge anything by, because I built the down pipe later.
I may be mistaken, but I believe I came across a link to the new shop that had acquired the plans for the turbonetics castings and such, on another forum. The mount without a turbo was in the 2500 range… Dosnt matter to me, it could have been 500$ and I may not have bought it, I enjoy (trying) to make my own stuff and if I figure I can save 10 bucks, Ill usually give it a try.

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Looks like you're making good progress Andrew. There are a bunch of ways to do this. So long as it gets the job done, it works in my book! There's more than one way to skin a cat...

Yeah, that's dead sexy. Wonder what they would charge for a setup like that without the snail...
Yea see above, its a lot, I'll try to find the link..

Originally Posted by Awitte58
Good to see this go up! I enjoyed chatting with you more this year than the previous, but I do remember the MANY passes you did in the range rover as well as seeing your back end pop-up from a couple launches this year.

Hahaaa, yes the track was a good time. The RangeRover was fun, I don't think everyone liked the Rover very much, but I didn't care . I had fun, and more importantly Kate had fun, camping with friends and playing with someone else's (her Dad's) super expensive vehicle.

As a side note, that Rover was just traded up for the new 2015 model that's much lighter with an all aluminum frame. Ive driven it, it's very fast...; rumor is it will fun a higher 12 right off the lot.

Quick Reply: Gloria: OBS build thread