Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:11 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
There are still plenty of nice older trucks down here in the southern states. I sold my 7.3 a little over 2 years ago. 250k miles on it and I sold it for $15k in 6 days. I had guys calling me from all over the US, including a guy from Oregon that was going to fly down and buy it had I not sold it.

Point being...if you are willing to travel, look where the rust isn't. I ended up with a 6.7 and couldn't be happier.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:00 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
got offered 12k for old green the other day and was real tempted. that would only be 10 months of payments on a new one, though.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider this- right now you are content driving a 16 year old truck. In another 10-12 years will you still be content to drive a vehicle that will then be 26+ years old? I'm not referring to just the power train and drivetrain, but the interior comforts as well. It's the equivilant of driving a 1990 truck today. I'm not knocking it, just giving a little perspective. I had a 1985 f350 up til 3 years ago, and I'm so much more comfortable in my Superdutys now.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:01 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
i would love to have 1973 sno commander

Old 01-15-2015, 02:45 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, if you can get $7K for the truck in the condition you stated I would sell it and take the $$$ plus the $$$ you would have spent in the rebuild and get a nice 7.3L in the $12K to $15K range. Your out $5K to $8K.

Option 2: It will take longer but in my area I"m seeing 7.3L motors on CL going for $1500 running in the truck. Search for 7.3L Vans and buses. That leaves you with the tranny rebuild and your out roughly $3500.

Just some thoughts...

Old 01-15-2015, 02:48 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm not missing my old '85 F150 at ALL... especially since it did not have A/C and was a single cab!

Old 01-15-2015, 03:55 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

I looked at a couple of newer trucks today and the bodies and frames were in worse shape than mine!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Originally Posted by F250_
I'm not missing my old '85 F150 at ALL... especially since it did not have A/C and was a single cab!
Hahaha! That's exactly what I was thinking about. In addition to the heater not working well and also the rust holes in the floorboard big enough for a cell phone to fall through. I had to stop in the side of the road once and run back to pick up my phone in the road. So glad for my super duties now!

Old 01-15-2015, 06:01 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Look for 7.3 trucks for a month or two. If you find one you like, buy it.
If not, start the rebuild by May.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:58 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Mowing Man
Consider this- right now you are content driving a 16 year old truck. In another 10-12 years will you still be content to drive a vehicle that will then be 26+ years old? I'm not referring to just the power train and drivetrain, but the interior comforts as well. It's the equivilant of driving a 1990 truck today. I'm not knocking it, just giving a little perspective. I had a 1985 f350 up til 3 years ago, and I'm so much more comfortable in my Superdutys now.

Honestly, I haul firewood, kids, bikes and dogs.

I was getting fuel the other day and the guy in a newer truck on the other side of the pump asked me what year my truck was. ( I have the 05 conversion) I told him a 99 and he said that he really missed his old 7.3, wished he never got rid of it.

For me, its comes down to one thing. Its paid for. Liability insurance only. At 16-20MPG not too terrible on fuel for an 8000lb truck.

The plan:

New interior. Cloth bench seats are getting a bit tatty....
Engine and tranny O/H...
New Bed...C/L is full of them.
08-10 front end conversion.
Ditch the open filter intake for something more refined and sound deaden the thing when I do the interior.

The 7.3 is easy to work on. I have ALOT of money in fuel mods, turbo, injectors etc etc....It would really be a shame to throw all that away.

I figure for less than 10K I can have a truck that will last at least 5-8 years...But look like a newer one!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:09 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 89LX306
* I ended up with a 6.7 and couldn't be happier.
Me too

What you already know is your truck is done.... put it to bed, part it out, keep it as an
yard ornament... Whatever you want to do. With rust and a blown everything it's no good to anyone. If you replace or rebuild what needs done fine... It's yours and always will be with 400k miles it's your problem and unless you give it away after that it's not going anywhere.

Find something that talks to you. That's what I did and the thing that ended up talking to me happened to be a Cummins, that's just me and my trucks relationship. Dog it if you want I don't care it was my decision and I'm happy with it. Like my signature says I'm here to help when I can.

EDIT: I should have read your plan before I got tunnel vision

Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Jetdoc, I grew up in Annapolis, so I understand the rust well. Sounds like you're already leaning towards keeping your current rig. For what it's worth, looking at places out west for rust-free trucks can be rewarding. My rig has zero rust. Swapping the front hub/stub axle/u-joint was a piece of cake - it all came right apart. Picked my truck up 7 years ago, bone stock, for $19k with 90k miles. It was a tad over KBB, but was EXACTLY the truck I wanted, it spent its entire life in Montana, and was only 30 miles from me!

Old 01-16-2015, 01:12 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by montanasteve
Jetdoc, I grew up in Annapolis, so I understand the rust well. Sounds like you're already leaning towards keeping your current rig. For what it's worth, looking at places out west for rust-free trucks can be rewarding. My rig has zero rust. Swapping the front hub/stub axle/u-joint was a piece of cake - it all came right apart. Picked my truck up 7 years ago, bone stock, for $19k with 90k miles. It was a tad over KBB, but was EXACTLY the truck I wanted, it spent its entire life in Montana, and was only 30 miles from me!

Pasadena, along the Magothy to be exact! My truck came from Texas. I bought it from Woodyard Auto down in VA and its all he does is bring TX trucks up here. Rust free trucks I might add. I bought mine in 05 with 245K on the clock.

Over the last couple of days I've crunched a lot of numbers and looked at a lot of trucks. I KNOW me. I'll buy another truck and have the PMS set in. Cant afford it. Most used trucks I've looked at around here are newer and have more rust! I've got two girls in middle school. College is 4 years away. I'm closer to 50 than I care to admit.

I don't blame anyone for buying anything. I'll admit I don't come here every day but over the years I have seen a lot of people come and go. Now is just not a good time to get another car payment for me....

Old 01-16-2015, 01:16 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Me too

Find something that talks to you. That's what I did and the thing that ended up talking to me happened to be a Cummins, that's just me and my trucks relationship. Dog it if you want I don't care it was my decision and I'm happy with it. Like my signature says I'm here to help when I can.

EDIT: I should have read your plan before I got tunnel vision

You know, I did exactly that...Our girls grew up with that truck. A lot of great times and the drone STILL puts them to sleep! I don't work in the most stable of occupations, so that was the driving factor in my decision. Dodge makes a fine truck, I wouldn't dog you in the least.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:58 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jetdoc
Over the last couple of days I've crunched a lot of numbers and looked at a lot of trucks. I KNOW me. I'll buy another truck and have the PMS set in. Cant afford it. Most used trucks I've looked at around here are newer and have more rust! I've got two girls in middle school. College is 4 years away. I'm closer to 50 than I care to admit.

I don't blame anyone for buying anything. I'll admit I don't come here every day but over the years I have seen a lot of people come and go. Now is just not a good time to get another car payment for me....

Way to think it through logically and come good sound decision. You are miles ahead by not making an emotional decision on a vehicle. Especially with kids coming up on college. Kudos to you.

Quick Reply: Decision Time