1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pros and cons of cost friendly lowering options.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:19 PM
SeaSpriteGreen55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros and cons of cost friendly lowering options.

I'm to the point where I need to decide on the suspension for my 55 f100. I'm wanting to lower the overall stance but I would like to keep the original front and rear axel. What are your opinions of removing some leafs front & rear, lowering shackles, ect.... I guess I would like the front about 3 inches or so lower and the rear level with the front or close. I was using the search tool to find a thread related to this but had no success so sorry if this question has been addressed recently.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If you used the large "Search" box at the top, I'm not surprised you didn't find much. You can use the Advanced Search tool (see below) to limit the search to this forum, and use keywords to pull up relevant threads.

Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 PM
SeaSpriteGreen55
New User
Thanks Ross. That helps a lot. I guess missing the advanced search option was a pretty big rookie mistake.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
One of your better options would be to install proper lowering springs, like these from Posies. POSIES Rods and Customs ? Super Slide Springs ? Street Rod Parts ? Hot Rod Parts ? Truck Parts ? Ford and Chevy Suspensions and Chassis Parts » Dual Flex Springs With new springs, there's no guess work about worn/broken springs, poor handling issues, which or how many leaves to remove, etc. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
One of your better options would be to install proper lowering springs, like these from Posies. ... With new springs, there's no guess work about worn/broken springs, poor handling issues, which or how many leaves to remove, etc. Better to be safe than sorry.
No question that's true, but not "cost friendly" perhaps. Totally depends what condition the existing springs, shackles, pins, bushings, etc are in. Also be aware of steering mods that may result from too low a ride (drag link/tie rods) -- more $$

Old 01-13-2015, 10:55 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
FWIW, my F-1 has the stock suspension.....leafs removed front and back, front springs de-arched, Nothing else. Drives good for an old truck...

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
57-60 f100 front axle will bolt in and give you a 1" drop, plus remove 3 leaves and you'll be around 2" drop (approx)

Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
A full set of the aforementioned Posies springs run about $700. Not free, but not bank breaking money, either. They include new U bolts for the front, eye bushings installed, the works. Add a set of pins and you're down the road all new and safe. No fuss, no muss. The drop isn't significant enough to cause ill handling. And since you're doing it all the way around, the caster isn't screwed up. It's the way I'm going.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 PM
SeaSpriteGreen55
New User
Would be real nice to go with all new springs Wayne but don't think I can swing the $800-$900 to do that right now.

Scott, the ride height on your f-1 is exactly what I'm looking for. Did you have to make any steering mods? Do you think if I removed the same leaves on my 55 it would sit the same? Not sure on how different the two models suspensions are. Can you explain how to de-arch or would I need to take the top leaf to a shop? Thanks guys

Old 01-13-2015, 11:24 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaSpriteGreen55
Would be real nice to go with all new springs Wayne but don't think I can swing the $800-$900 to do that right now.

Scott, the ride height on your f-1 is exactly what I'm looking for. Did you have to make any steering mods? Do you think if I removed the same leafs on my 55 it would sit the same? Not sure on how different the two models suspensions are. Can you explain how to de-arch or would I need to take the top leaf to a shop? Thanks guys
No steering mods. I can't say if your truck would be lowered exactly the same or not, but it's one option. De- arching springs is simply changing the arc of the leafs....in this case flattening it. I used a shop press, but the arc of all of the leafs must match side to side. It's a lot of work, a spring shop could do it much easier,
Also you need to watch oil pan clearance, depending on which engine you have.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:33 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Well........

Rear axle:
Remove leafs, longer shackles, flip the axle, move front spring mount up on frame. Everything there is pretty much free except the longer shackles.

Front Axle:
I think the only way to go is with one of Sids stretched axles in the height you want it lowered. I think they were $300.00 last time I checked. They eliminate oil pan issues, and retain the old look. You can then add on stuff as you go(rotors, springs, etc) that is if you want that stuff.

Had a Crown Vic front end not been dropped in my lap I would have went that route, sometimes I still regret not keeping it old school with the stock front axle.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:41 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
The cheapest way is to remove springs. IMHO the next option is reverse arch the main springs (reverse eye springs) gets you 1 1/2 approx right there, than remove springs, in the rear raise the spring mounts, rear mounts to the front top of frame, front to rear pushed up to top of frame, nets you with the reversed eye approx 3" in the rear, if you go this route be careful to keep springs facing same as stock so you don't change the pinion angle. I did this on my 56, don't have anymore, and it was so close to tinman52's stance. One thing also in the rear I used all the springs so if I wanted it lower I could have removed springs

Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my opinion, you can maybe get by with removing leaves, but I doubt you'll be really satisfied until you save up and sort of go all in. Lowered springs along with a drop axle yields a pretty darn good look in the front. One without the other doesn't quite do it for me. But the nice thing is you could do the springs now and the drop axle later. On the rear, again, leaves will get you started, but to get "the look" you're probably going to want extended hangers and to move the brackets up, or to flip the axle on top of the springs, things that are going to cost a little bit of money. It does tend to snowball, so you need to have some money saved up. If you could set aside $1000-$1500 I bet you could get a nice stance and be ready to cruise...probably even quite a bit cheaper if you just remove leaves or maybe just do a main leaf modification.

I went the expensive/cheap route and used new lowering springs/kits front and rear (about $1400 from mid fifty), a Sid dropped axle ($360 with shipping and sending a core), lowering rear brackets ($100), hd tie rod and dropped tie Rod ends ($125). Not cheap, but convenient and I'm happy with the results. No engine or transmission in the truck yet.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:16 PM
SeaSpriteGreen55
New User
Thanks everybody for all of these ideas to think about. I'm going to take some measurements, do some pricing, and get back to you with what I decide. Hopefully have pics as well.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:18 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
2" drop axle with 1st and 3rd springs removed / rear spring mounts moved all the way up on the frame with 1st and 3rd springs removed

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of cost friendly lowering options.