Sponsored by:

Dash Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Lost Yankee
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dash Warning Lights

Ok guys, 2000 EX 6.8 4wd, my oil light and low fuel light will come on together for about 1 second then go off, oil is good and fuel was at 1/2 tank. Anyone ever see this before?? Thanks Rob

Old 01-13-2015, 10:37 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost Yankee
Ok guys, 2000 EX 6.8 4wd, my oil light and low fuel light will come on together for about 1 second then go off, oil is good and fuel was at 1/2 tank. Anyone ever see this before?? Thanks Rob
I saw that a few times in my Expedition...the fuel/oil warning light would go on and the fuel gauge would drop to empty. It only happened twice, and both times I had just filled up for long trips (topping off).

I assumed it was something with the fuel level sending unit...but you said you had a half tank. Considering I had never seen that except when putting the fuel sensor at an extreme value (full plus some), I couldn't find any explanation other than that.

These types of things are tough because they can't always be reproduced on demand. Maybe check your fuel level sending unit wiring, see if the wiring outside the tank is OK (not chafed/grounded)? If memory serves the actual unit is in the tank, so switching it will take some time and a buddy...so I'd check the wiring first.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Mr. Crab
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had something similar with a bad battery. Truck would start, reluctantly, but gauges were seriously messed up, LOL! I knew I had a full tank of gas cause I'd just filled it and the gas gauge said E & Low Fuel popped on. I don't remember seeing the oil light. My first thought was that someone had helped themselves to my gas, as I don't have a locking cap. Actually, with a 44 gallon tank, that's probably not such a bad idea. BRB!

Anyway, new battery was the cure in this case. Voltage with truck not running was around 12.1, and it tested at less than 20% capacity when I pulled it. Worth a check.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, I have seen bad batteries do weird things to the dash. Definitely worth a look at that.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Lost Yankee
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr. Crab, battery is new, less then a month old, I check the GEM, everything seems connected, under the hood fuse box has good connections, it started happening when we had a couple mid 20 degree days here.
Robert I Ross, ive had had plenty tanks of gas on the "plus" and never had a problem, lol I really don't want to drop the tank, so checking the wiring will be the next step.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:16 PM
azex2001
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the batt is new, I would suggest that you check your grounds. Extreme weather has a tendency to bring out marginal grounds/connections. Where ever a ground touches a painted surface, make sure there is a good connection there. Also, what is your running voltage? Have you had any charging issues?

Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost Yankee
ive had had plenty tanks of gas on the "plus" and never had a problem, lol I really don't want to drop the tank, so checking the wiring will be the next step.
Yea, that's the part that didn't track for me (flipping out at 1/2 tank). Still, if the unit is going out, it could be mine going out when the float topped out...for you it could be the float hitting around 1/2 causing an issue.

I wouldn't rule it out, but I also wouldn't drop the tank to fix it if it's not causing enough drama to make it worth it. For me going away after 15 minutes or so of driving (but acting normal the rest of the time) didn't rank high enough for me to put much work beyond 'ignore' into it. Now if it starts up daily and puts you in a bind where you don't know your fuel level or worse when you are running low oil, then it might be worth it to do more.

I'd be curious to know if it 'goes away' as you hit 1/3...if it does, after you fill up, if it comes back when you hit 1/2. That could be a definitive sign it's something with the sending unit. If it happens at various fuel levels though (no rhyme or reason), it could just be a symptom of who-knows-what.

Agree also with the grounding comment. A bad ground could cause as many issues as a weak battery could or a short. That's the miserable crap with electric issues, so many things could affect it that don't even look like they are related.

Good luck with it...update the thread if you find it goes away or comes back or with the work you did to diagnose...it's all relevant info for the next guy who sees this come up in his rig.