1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

N.O.S 48/52 never used vin tags....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Cody_1948
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe, wouldn't the Secretary of State be in the wrong, Since they told me to use the engine number as the serial number on my title(for my first F1). Now it makes me want to check the frame number, but the title is free and clear in my name. I don't know if I should just go with it, or re do it and if it is wrong to get a brand new title. because my black F1 the p.o had it clean in his name, I then transferred the truck from his name to mine. I just looked and the Secretary of State use the engine number on the black truck for the "vin tag number" I just called the p.o and he said when he took it to get title back in 2001. He took the data plate and used it for the "vin number " on the title , they did it the same for him as they did on my first F1. I also have a buddy who got a title for a rat rod by taking the date plate in for his 51 F1, all three of us went to different secretary of state offices. They all used the eng numbers as bins

Old 01-12-2015, 10:02 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Cody, the number stamped on the glove box rating plate marked engine number is the same as the serial number (VIN) of the truck. The funny part is that number was never stamped anywhere on an engine. You can look for that number on your frame to verify it is the same in both places. Unless you plan on selliing the truck to someone out of state, where that state would require a vin inspection to transfer the title, you should be fine.

Whether you call it a serial number or a vehicle identification number, it does the same purpose; identifying the vehicle legally. It's just the term "VIN" wasn't coined until later.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:06 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Thanks Joe, I stand corrected, it was 54 not 51.
Joe, that came from Wikipedia, so it's a reference only. Certainly not fact.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:23 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
No, actually 54 is correct, I knew that and was discussing that just the other day on another site. I don't know why I said 51 here. That was part of my job for 25 years.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Cody, the number stamped on the glove box rating plate marked engine number is the same as the serial number (VIN) of the truck. The funny part is that number was never stamped anywhere on an engine. You can look for that number on your frame to verify it is the same in both places. Unless you plan on selliing the truck to someone out of state, where that state would require a vin inspection to transfer the title, you should be fine.

Whether you call it a serial number or a vehicle identification number, it does the same purpose; identifying the vehicle legally. It's just the term "VIN" wasn't coined until later.

Wayne, he could get lucky if they don't match, but don't assume that the only way it would be caught if it was an out of state sale. Aside from working for the city dept for 25 years, I also ran security for an International bridge commission, running 3 bridges between the US and Canada, I personally know of at least 25-30 cars and trucks seized at the bridges during 'routine' crossing inspections where frame # inspections revealed that they didn't match the paperwork. I hate to say it, but of the vehicles seized in that situation, if they were not confirmed stolen vehicles, they were crushed.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:34 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Cody_1948
Joe, wouldn't the Secretary of State be in the wrong, Since they told me to use the engine number as the serial number on my title(for my first F1). Now it makes me want to check the frame number, but the title is free and clear in my name. I don't know if I should just go with it, or re do it and if it is wrong to get a brand new title. because my black F1 the p.o had it clean in his name, I then transferred the truck from his name to mine. I just looked and the Secretary of State use the engine number on the black truck for the "vin tag number" I just called the p.o and he said when he took it to get title back in 2001. He took the data plate and used it for the "vin number " on the title , they did it the same for him as they did on my first F1. I also have a buddy who got a title for a rat rod by taking the date plate in for his 51 F1, all three of us went to different secretary of state offices. They all used the eng numbers as bins
Cody, one thing you have to learn about dealing with government agencies, UNLESS you have a government employee who personally inspected and certified that the numbers all matched, the employee based everything on the information that YOU provided. That will be her story and she will be sticking to it. Honestly, your honor, I 'never' told him that.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Not only "reference only" but unverified reference! Wikipedia can have statements that have totally wrong information. It is not checked like the old encyclopedia references were checked when we were kids.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know that vehicle registration requirements differ from state to state. I purchased a "kit" car from a gentleman in Virginia and the vehicle was titled in Virginia. When I went to transfer the vehicle to a Michigan title I was told I need to get a safety inspection from my local police department before they would title it. The police officer arrived and I showed him where the VIN number was and he then checked his database to see if it was stolen. He then made sure that all the lights, turn signals, seat belts,etc. were properly installed and working for that year vehicle. He signed off on a form the Secretary of State office gave me and I was able to get a Michigan title for it. A year later I sold the vehicle to a person in New York and I later found out that New York would not allow him to register it no matter what. He had to sell the vehicle to someone out of state. This was not a cheap vehicle either as it was a replica of a Porsche 550 Spyder which sold for about $25,000. Some things that fly in one state my not work in another.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:40 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Cougar54
I know that vehicle registration requirements differ from state to state. I purchased a "kit" car from a gentleman in Virginia and the vehicle was titled in Virginia. When I went to transfer the vehicle to a Michigan title I was told I need to get a safety inspection from my local police department before they would title it. The police officer arrived and I showed him where the VIN number was and he then checked his database to see if it was stolen. He then made sure that all the lights, turn signals, seat belts,etc. were properly installed and working for that year vehicle. He signed off on a form the Secretary of State office gave me and I was able to get a Michigan title for it. A year later I sold the vehicle to a person in New York and I later found out that New York would not allow him to register it no matter what. He had to sell the vehicle to someone out of state. This was not a cheap vehicle either as it was a replica of a Porsche 550 Spyder which sold for about $25,000. Some things that fly in one state my not work in another.
Doug, out of curiosity was that one of those kits built on old VW chassis and if so was it titled as the VW or was issued a Virginia state VIN#?

Old 01-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Doug, out of curiosity was that one of those kits built on old VW chassis and if so was it titled as the VW or was issued a Virginia state VIN#?
No, it wasn't a VW chassis build. It had a custom built tubular chassis. The kit was made by the "Beck" company and was even assembled by them. It was titled as a 2001 Beck in Virginia which was the issue since the Michigan Secretary of State was unfamiliar with the "Beck" name. Some people I know in California were able to title them as a 1955 Porsche Spyder which was helpful in states that require emissions testing but exempt older vehicles. It also probably would have helped in the New York situation I mention above. Again, it seems to be a state by state issue.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougar54
Some people I know in California were able to title them as a 1955 Porsche Spyder which was helpful in states that require emissions testing but exempt older vehicles. It also probably would have helped in the New York situation I mention above.
There have been many builders in California, and a few other states, that have been in hot water over this.

California has been going after builders of kit-cars, hot rodders, and title companies for the last few years. (since 2004) They have been charging owners and builders with fraud, perjury, and tax evasion.

Here is the deal SEMA has worked out for owners in California:
SEMA and California Agencies Solve Titling Dilemma for Hobbyist Vehicles | Specialty Equipment Market Association

Here are SEMA's recommendations for titling project cars in all 50 states. (they try to keep this up-to-date, but being the first of the year there could be changes)
SEMA Action Network (SAN) TAG_TITLE_TOOLBOX

Old 03-25-2016, 06:43 AM
johnnyp1510
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need a vin plate and a title for a 1951 ford f1 any one selling one

Old 03-25-2016, 09:05 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by johnnyp1510
i need a vin plate and a title for a 1951 ford f1 any one selling one
Johnny, first there is no such thing as a vin plate for a 1951 f1. The legal serial number is stamped into the frame. Secondly, what you are asking for is Illegal and I am sure that nobody here will accommodate your request.

With that said, if you want to start a new thread in the regular section of this group and explain what you have and what your situation is, we have members that may be able to assist you with information to get a legal title for your truck. As I advice everyone, if you don't have a legal ownership, STOP, do not invest a $ or an hour into this project until you have proper ownership.