Sponsored by:

83 302: Bad mileage, already at half a tank with 70 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:52 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 302: Bad mileage, already at half a tank with 70 miles

I filled up Friday, and the truck is already at half tank mark with only 70 miles.
Truck has new 33 gallon tank, fuel sender and 2bbl carb.

I passed emissions with flying colors on Saturday (their words), idles fine other than slight miss. No obvious bucking/surging or richness in exhaust. I did smell unburned gas last night when we pulled into the movies, the only time I've smelled it since buying the truck. Have not noticed a pool of fuel in my driveway or when I leave a parking spot.

I do have some vacuum line issues noted in my other thread.
I understand the 302 isn't very fuel efficient, but this is obviously indicating an underlying issue (or the gauge is way off). If my math is correct, this puts me around 4-5 MPG

Truck is auto, new Motorcraft 2bbl, stock headers, crap glasspack (to be replaced)

Forgot to add, brand new tires, went with stock AT size.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:54 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First thing I would check is why you smelled raw fuel. Sounds like a leak.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:11 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
The thought crossed my mind, but I have only smelled it that once. Seem to come from the tank area, I have not smelled it since.

I will keep an eye on it, I will check this weekend to see if the tank/hose etc has a leak.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
That's worse than my 460! I'd check for a fuel leak, I'd also invest in a locking gas cap if you don't already have one.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
How long have you owned the truck? The fuel gauges can be really wacky so you simply cannot use them to estimate fuel milage, run the tank down until you think it's about out of fuel, top up and record the amount of fuel needed to do so, and record the distance driven since the last fillup.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:44 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
It's the gauge that is off. It was at half a tank when I got home, 100 miles on trip meter. Held 6.65 gallons, it burned that much out of 18 gallons. By my math it's getting about 15MPG.

I'll confirm next time I top it off if the numbers match. Whew!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:52 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Welcome to FTE by the way! Post some pictures if your bronco!

Old 01-13-2015, 01:34 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
Before I added new 31" tires, I cleaned it up a bit and have my work cut out for me detangling the previous owner's shortcuts.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:33 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Solid looking truck! Looks pretty good, other than a few mismatched interior pieces. Is that is a Warn winch bumper? Those are kinda hard to find.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:11 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
What is mismatched, I need a good reference as I do not have one.
I know the dash cap is unpainted, PO painted center console, but I plan to replace. I am not restoring to show level, just back to original.

It's clean, but this rust, luckily I have a body guy wanting to trade to trade me $2K credit for a car I have for his son.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:07 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Because you have a woodgrain steering wheel, I am assuming that you originally had a woodgrain interior. It's hard to tell with your picture, but it looks like your wood grain gauge and radio bezels were swapped with the lower level grey mesh trim (like my truck), and looks like the woodgrain inserts on the door panels were painted red. Also, door panels were painted black, and you have vinyl front buckets, and a cloth rear bench (Also like my mismatched truck) . Here is a good picture of what they look like.

If you paint the dash, door panels, and console, I would uses SEM paint. They have the factory colors in a spray can. The door inserts are very easy to break, so be very careful if you remove them. Post your truck over in the 1980-1986 Bullnose section, and look at the How-to section. They know more about interior stuff, and can decode the VIN if you want.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:37 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
Not sure if that steering wheel is original. Could be
I really need to find out what the truck left with from the factory.

I will look at the info you suggested, thank you.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
Interesting results, 9 miles a gallon this go around. Basically same route, same granny driving. Only difference is I didn't drive 10 miles on interstate, and I used 2nd/1st to climb a few hills. I never put my foot in it.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:47 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Usually bad gas mileage is result of no tune up, or vaccum leaks, or if equip with a carb its not set right or needs to be repaired or you have too big of a carb for the engine.

Also check the gas tank. There is a vent on top with a hose that usually runs up to a canister in the engine compartment. Also if equip with a smog pump it could be bad.

Also alignment can effect fuel mileage too.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
Tank is new, there are quite a bit of vacuum lines plugged/disconnected, sorting through that now. Idles great, though really hard to start with this cold weather. Has a brand new REMAN Motorcraft 2150, alternator, starter, battery, shocks, new 31" tires.

My VECI label, fairly certain this Reman Motorcraft 2150 2bbl is stock for my truck. The plugged line is right about where the pink arrow is.

There is a hose with bolt runs into the bottom of the carb intake, a port that face straight towards the front of the truck. It's right under the intake mount base for the carb. Looking through the manual now to determine what that port is.
Here's a close up with the pink arrow pointing to the port where the hose with the bolt in it, comes out the intake manifold:

The top port of the Vacuum Control Valve (brown) doesn't have anything plugged into it, just a rubber boot. According to my VECI label above, the top port should have a filter (FLTR)

Hate when people think they know better than the engineers and modify with no real knowledge of the components.

Quick Reply: 83 302: Bad mileage, already at half a tank with 70 miles