Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety question re: huge chain reaction accident in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:13 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Safety question re: huge chain reaction accident in Michigan

Somewhat off topic, but just wondered what opinions were here. I live in a suburb of Detroit, and a few days ago, there were white-out conditions on I-94 (the main highway from Detroit to Chicago) on the west side of the state. Temps were hovering around 5-10 degrees F, and a huge 150+ car chain reaction accident occurred. Here is a video of some of the horror:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDb_...ature=youtu.be

I was at work talking to some of my coworkers, and there was about a 50-50 split on a key question regarding this type of accident: Do you stay in your car, or get out and run for safety? Near the end of the above video, you can hear the people around the photographer talking about helping the people out, and I'm thinking the last place I would want to be is OUTSIDE of my vehicle, in a case like this. What do you guys think?

Here's another video. Final tally I saw was 1 dead, 193 vehicles involved, and of all things, a semi carrying fireworks caught on fire and all the fireworks shot off. Crazy:

Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No answer to that question, it depends. If you're safer where you are stay, if you're safer outside get out.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:37 AM
slinginsaws
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been a road warrior for my construction equipment company for the past 5 years. I have seen way too many severe crashes where people were under fed ex trailer or cut off a truck and got smashed in to the guard rail. I am totally for OUT! Then run down the median with as many flairs as I could grab trying to lob them into the road down the way to slow people down. I don't know but i sure couldn't stand there recording it not doing a damn thing.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slinginsaws
I have been a road warrior for my construction equipment company for the past 5 years. I have seen way too many severe crashes where people were under fed ex trailer or cut off a truck and got smashed in to the guard rail. I am totally for OUT! Then run down the median with as many flairs as I could grab trying to lob them into the road down the way to slow people down. I don't know but i sure couldn't stand there recording it not doing a damn thing.
That's the part that also bothers me. Folks would rather stand there and record a catastrophe than to be part of a solution to stop it. I heard that one died, I hope the rest are OK.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FordxFour
That's the part that also bothers me. Folks would rather stand there and record a catastrophe than to be part of a solution to stop it. I heard that one died, I hope the rest are OK.
Only so much can be done and most people aren't in a good position to help. For some recording evidence is the best way they can help.

I'm not one of those, I suspect few in this forum are. I'm prepared and tend to run towards the danger instinctively, but we all know that's unusual.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Very simple. Would you be safe in the vehicle?

NO, cars and tractor trailers will keep crashing in to you. Get out and run for cover.

Saying in it would be like staying in an outhouse for protection from a tornado

Old 01-12-2015, 09:53 AM
slinginsaws
Junior User
WELL said Diesel_Brad !

Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Remember, these people were just involved in a pretty horrific experience. It's easy to say that I would do this or that, but a totally different thing to actually live through it and try and make those decisions. I'm not sure anything could be done - unless as a poster above said you had a bunch of flares - to try and slow down oncoming traffic. As for the original question, I just think that you are far better off staying put in your car/truck. The vehicles are made to absorb collisions. Some collisions might be too forceful to save you, but if you get hit while running from the scene, you're most likely dead.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
i HAVE lived thru it. I got out of the truck as soon as I realized where I was. Good thing too because the vehicle I was in was smashed into about a 4' cube. They would of buried me in that truck

Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Very simple. Would you be safe in the vehicle?

NO, cars and tractor trailers will keep crashing in to you. Get out and run for cover.

Saying in it would be like staying in an outhouse for protection from a tornado
Actually Brad, only the first one crashes into you. After that, the force of all of the vehicles that hit the pile up behind you is being absorbed by more and more cars, so the force on your car/truck is reduced exponentially. Hopefully none of us will ever have to make this decision.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by joegeds
Actually Brad, only the first one crashes into you. After that, the force of all of the vehicles that hit the pile up behind you is being absorbed by more and more cars, so the force on your car/truck is reduced exponentially. Hopefully none of us will ever have to make this decision.
Its like a pin ball effect.

In my case I slid into a box truck. Then another pickup behind me then a semi. My truck and the pickup behind me were UNRECOGNIZABLE

Let me guess. You were one of the guys saying stay in the vehicle

Old 01-12-2015, 10:03 AM
slinginsaws
Junior User
This is the main reason I am no longer runnin the road. My number was going to get called and who knows how bad the event would have been. I have had too many close calls and a couple that I should have been in and still give me chills. I hope some of the younger guys on the site see this video and get to thinkin!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
Unless it was clean off the road in a spot where I doubt anyone else was heading towards at a high rate of speed and the engine was running and the heat still worked I'd be out of the truck either trying to help others or at the very least getting to a safer spot. Least that's how I'd try and do it. I normally don't go out in poor weather though but when i do I'm always prepped at least mentally for the worst.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:49 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Tough call. Dynamic situation where vehicles were continuing to come in and you also have to deal with fire and the possibility of dangerous goods. If you have the opportunity, get clear and stay clear. Scariest part was when they started running back into the situation to attempt to help. This often leads to unnecessary fatalities. Glad I was not there.

In the end, everyone was driving too fast for conditions. Road should have been closed.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:50 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Its like a pin ball effect.

In my case I slid into a box truck. Then another pickup behind me then a semi. My truck and the pickup behind me were UNRECOGNIZABLE

Let me guess. You were one of the guys saying stay in the vehicle
Yes, I am with the "stay in your vehicle" crowd. Obviously, you made the decision to get out in your case, and luckily, it was the right one.

Quick Reply: Safety question re: huge chain reaction accident in Michigan