Sponsored by:

Rust-proofing my Ex

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 AM
savagefan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust-proofing my Ex

My 2000 is from Arizona and has been up here 1 winter. Not a spec of rust on it. I'd like to keep this beast as long as possible and would really like to hear opinions on what is the best treatment available out there. Right now it's parked until spring, thank you for looking.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 AM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The undercoating is messy but does the job keeping rust at bay. I believe most products today are asphalt based .

I've heard many people say that fluid film is great also without being as messy as the undercoating.

Both of these methods require reapplication after some time as the product wears away.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:59 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The best thing you can do to keep the rust away is not drive the truck in the winter.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
The best thing you can do to keep the rust away is not drive the truck in the winter.
lol, and we can prevent car crashes by not driving.

savage,

You could paint the frame with something like POR-15 and then use something like fluid film to cover that. Might be overkill, but would definitely protect it. POR-15 is more of a rust-fixer, so if you really have no rust you could just fluid film it.

Or, you could just not drive it.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I just did Fluid Film on my truck a few weeks ago. We took a trip into snow country for a few weeks, so I decided to coat it before we went. It took me and my son a couple hours to do. 1 gallon of Fluid Film cost like $50. I had to order through Grainger since apparently people don't do a lot of rust proofing down here in SE Texas.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:07 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
X2! You already have it parked, so I assume you have winter transportation? Just keep it parked in the winter. No amount of rustproofing is going to keep rust from starting if driven through the winter! When driven the other 3 seasons what ford did is enough.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 AM
dihedralboy
Junior User
I bet you can find a rust check depot or something. For about 150 they apply. And yes every 2-3 years it might be good to do again.

I used LPS 2 and LPS on a vehicle and it lasted a really long time. The LPS 2 is lighter and gets into small crevices. The LPS 3 is more waxy and protects decently. Hit it with 2 and follow up with 3. it can be brushed on too.

Anything is better than nothing.

I used a syphon air sprayer and really hit the frame inside channels etc. Pull plugs on doors and spray inside too.

Then wash the truck frequently spraying underneath too.

Not driving in the winter is truly the only answer but isn't a choice unless your ex is a toy.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:00 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am on the same mission, keep rust at bay! Here is what I posted in another thread that is working great for me:

As a recent move back to MI from Colorado, I did not want my ex succumbing to so many that I have seen here in the Grand Rapids, MI area way rusted out. I chose not to undercoat the body, but rather spray it with
Fluid Film Fluid Film
. It is a by product of sheep fat, and has a funny smell to it, almost sweet. I used an entire gallon of the stuff and sprayed in every nook and cranny I could find on the underside of the body and frame. Especially the area between the factory running boards and the body, and the underside of the running boards themselves. I tested the product with a shake can first, and took it to a self serve car wash to see how easy it would be to wash it off. It really did not wash off, even with the high pressure rinse, just kind of smeared it around like bacon grease stuck to a pan. I was convinced and placed an order off of Amazon for their spray kit.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 PM
savagefan
Senior User
Thanx for the replies. Yes I do have a great Exploder for winter driving, this will be used for the rest of the year with some off-road and sloppy stuff thrown in. It is the most beastly SUV ever and I'd like to keep it as long as is practicable and I don't mind throwing some money into it to hopefully see me into my dotage.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:17 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spent a week or so up north, I could not drive my EX in that crap. If your looking for long term protection garage it! Growing up in CT. I would buy a beater for use every winter.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  229.1 KB

Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 822 Likes on 568 Posts
Letting them sleep through the winter is the best protection, I didn't even clear the snow off mine last week, it is NOT going out in this salt! Unfortunately our 4 garage bays are occupied by other rides that need the shelter more than the EX.
I did get a 2 gallon Fluid Film kit from Santa and plan to apply it for the first time on my Bride's new Outback once it gets built and delivered, leftovers may get sprayed on the EX's tummy.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Garden sprayer and used engine oil.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Yup, in the garage all winter is the only way.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I spent a week or so up north, I could not drive my EX in that crap. If your looking for long term protection garage it! Growing up in CT. I would buy a beater for use every winter.
Attachment 112775
I'm still waiting to see pics from your WV trip, i don't recall seeing them in the thread. I bet you had to spray that thing off the second you hit GA or FL, then wash it 2-3 times to make sure you got all the salt off of it

-The Great

Old 01-14-2015, 04:42 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CLINT-THE-GREAT
I'm still waiting to see pics from your WV trip, i don't recall seeing them in the thread. I bet you had to spray that thing off the second you hit GA or FL, then wash it 2-3 times to make sure you got all the salt off of it

-The Great
I had it pressured washed 2 hours concentrating on underneath then clay, compound and wax total detail by pro was about 8 hours 2 guys. Lol
Sorry I posted them on the 6.0 forum...
Here is the cabin in WV that is 1.5 miles off the pavement.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  122.0 KB

Quick Reply: Rust-proofing my Ex