Restoration-1966 Ford F100 4x4 SWB Styleside 352 NP-435

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM
mosigndude
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
Sweet Truck!! Love the color, and FACTORY AM radio, no dash destoying!! Cab lights, V8 and 4 -speed!! AWESOME!!!
Thanks, the Ford Wimbledon White (with the Caribbean Turquoise) is what originally drew me to these trucks.....m.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 PM
mosigndude
Senior User

Originally Posted by 6t6merc
I wonder if the momentary switch near the ignition is cast "blink marker". Pretty rare if it is.
Eric
6t6merc....thanks!.....I suspect the "blink marker" was added as it was cut into the dash, however, the wiring harness, switch and all other aspects seem original.....I would leave this to FTE discussion.....I have taken it out of the dash, I have patched the dash back to original and will fabricate an under the dash panel that will use existing bolt holes to mount up the "blink marker" switch......it could always be put back in the dash....but again, at best, it appeared to be a dealer add-on....at least IMO because of placement and the crude hole....opinions? m.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:39 PM
mosigndude
Senior User

Some pics of the tear down:

The unseen is coming to life:

Note the PO cut speakers into the metal of the door panels.......I will eventually show the repair of this:

Actually, this is before any tear down:

Really Sad:

I will post more as this goes, m

Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM
mosigndude
Senior User

Here are more pictures of this truck coming apart:

The dash can be seen, I chose to restore this as there were no rips or significant distortions, I found a fantastic restoration product that brought the dash back to better than new, for now the old:

I will post more pictures this evening as I get through them, thanks, m.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:58 PM
rmk73
Senior User
Cool project you have going. Like the pictures you're putting up. I think the more pictures the better on the forum.

Nice garage also!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:30 PM
mosigndude
Senior User

Originally Posted by rmk73
Cool project you have going. Like the pictures you're putting up. I think the more pictures the better on the forum.

Nice garage also!
Thanks rmk73 for the compliments about the work space, I can't wait for the times I get to be out there and away from the daily grind.....posting more pics as we speak, again, thanks, m.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:14 PM
mosigndude
Senior User

There are a ton of photos of everything coming apart, I will try to not post too many. I could not put this together without all of the help here. All parts have been bagged and labeled (for me it is a "Restoration for Dummies")........the photos and parts bagging has made the restoration very straight forward and I would highly recommend this to anyone taking this on.

The body areas with problems are the floor pans, cab corners and tailgate, the PO had cut speakers into the metal of the door panels. These pictures have been posted.

I found donor doors to pattern out for the speaker cut problem and replaced what is a fairly complicated piece of metal to hand fabricate.....it can be done but the donor method is quick.

The floor of the truck bed is also going to be a lot of work. I have another one of these trucks with a long bed.......I can't bear the thought of using it for parts, but the floor of the bed is perfect....really having to think through patterning what is needed and to do a "swap"...i.e. put the good piece in this truck, the bent (not rusted) piece back in the other truck......I guess a double transplant.

The cab corners have been easily available and perfect matches, I never found the floor pans and had to fabricate the replacement pieces for the floor. I was lucky enough to find a NOS tailgate in the original Ford packaging, it has one very minor shipping dent.

Here are some more photos, again, the order of doing the work and posting of the pictures aren't necessarily in sequence, I will keep them close.....I am going to try to post before and after pictures that the camera angles are close to matching....m.

Tailgate being disassembled:

Close ups of Tool Box:

Rolling chassis:

A bit of build up from a lot of years:

Cab Mounted to Rotisserie:

Old 01-14-2015, 03:41 PM
mike k m
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6t6merc
I wonder if the momentary switch near the ignition is cast "blink marker". Pretty rare if it is.
Eric
My 66 ranger has the same button near the ignition switch, I thought it was for the washer pump? , mine has been disassembled for awhile now so im uncertain?

Old 01-14-2015, 05:05 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Originally Posted by mike k m
My 66 ranger has the same button near the ignition switch, I thought it was for the washer pump? , mine has been disassembled for awhile now so im uncertain?

That depends on the sequence number of the truck in question. They did use the pushbutton above the key in the early 1966 trucks and then switched to a washer switch that is part of the wiper switch. You just pull the **** in the later models to activate the washer pump.

Any 1966 from Sequence number 760,001 should have the washer switch built into the wiper switch according to the MPC.

Since I'm being lazy today here's a link to the topic with a sublink from ND talking about the same thing.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-button.html

I hope that is helpful.

Of course, as the switch that controlled the washer crapped out people would often put in the pushbutton switch above the ignition to have working washers without the need to replace the wiper switch, so you can see any combination of things these days, don't forget.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 PM
mosigndude
Senior User

Originally Posted by mike k m
The technical accuracy of this I would leave to those at FTE......my next dream truck would be a 66 Ranger!......what I do know is that the hole that was in the dash for the blink marker was crudely cut and not prior to the paint on the dash, which, IMO, was not repainted, even if the dash was repainted, the hole was cut (and not punched) after it was painted, therefore, I believe it was a dealer or PO option?? I patched the hole and removed it, will put the switch under the dash, it can always be put back in the dash if I missed the accuracy of this.

My wiper switch, if my memory serves me (not often the case!) will turn the washer pump on when pulled out, I also believe it is 2 speed also, m.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:11 AM
mosigndude
Senior User

Frame to Cab Mounts:

Front:

Rear Cab Mounts:

Cab back from sand blaster, dash was masked and saved through blasting:

Thanks again, look for thoughts and comments!

Old 01-15-2015, 05:07 AM
mike k m
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mosigndude
The technical accuracy of this I would leave to those at FTE......my next dream truck would be a 66 Ranger!......what I do know is that the hole that was in the dash for the blink marker was crudely cut and not prior to the paint on the dash, which, IMO, was not repainted, even if the dash was repainted, the hole was cut (and not punched) after it was painted, therefore, I believe it was a dealer or PO option?? I patched the hole and removed it, will put the switch under the dash, it can always be put back in the dash if I missed the accuracy of this.

My wiper switch, if my memory serves me (not often the case!) will turn the washer pump on when pulled out, I also believe it is 2 speed also, m.
technical accuracy of what? that my truck is a ranger or not?

Old 01-15-2015, 11:31 AM
MNTBUGGY
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having an project that is all there when you start is a great help even if parts need to be replaced. I used lots of ziplock sandwich bags with permanent marker as what they are since we all forget!!! The cab looks like it will only need some minor rust repair.
My wifes 66 mustang was all there when i started and it was a great help. My 66 4x4 swb came home with a bed sitting on the frame and lost of boxes with parts!!! Can't wait to get started back on it. Maybe next winter!!!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:02 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice project, I will be watching this build.
I do have one question though, When you pulled the cab from the frame, I noticed you had to go up high because the shifter was still attached. Why didnt you remove the shifter?

Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 PM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
The "blink marker" momentary switch in my '66 Merc CS was mounted in the dimple that was used for the vent pulls in earlier years. It momentarily turned off the cab and camper clearance lights. My '66 had only three cab-mounted clearance lights, all mounted close to the middle of the roof, a configuration that is no longer legal in my jurisdiction.
Eric

Quick Reply: Restoration-1966 Ford F100 4x4 SWB Styleside 352 NP-435