1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best 12v Wiper Review (plus tutorial and pile on)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:24 AM
sere0501
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best 12v Wiper Review (plus tutorial and pile on)

Well I'm having trouble sleeping and I thought I'd do a write up on my recent 12v wiper install and give you the goods and bads. The "pile on" part is for you to add your experience with this product or another brand. I've read some horror stories about a few different brands.

My ride is a 49 F1, and I went with the 12v motor from Speedway:

My first take on it was that it seems like a quality well built item. I did not realize that I needed to remove this part from my old wiper assembly. I must have overlooked it during my research or just forgot. Either way, this is the part you need to take off:

The part on the left will be saved. Don't throw away the other piece (someone on here might want it)

The instructions are a little vague at times, but at least seem to be written by someone who speaks English, so they're not terrible from what I remember.

The first snag that I ran into was sliding this old piece over the new one:

I had to do a good bit of grinding on the piece that goes inside the other. Nothing a Dremel couldn't handle.

The instructions weren't very clear, if I remember correctly, about which way to mount the old to the new. I believe this picture is wrong. Self critiquing one you try to install it....

Next up is cutting your defroster vent. I believe it said about 2-2 1/2"

I cut it in such a way that I could fold the bottom down and give me a better surface to tape to. Yes, the instructions say to tape it,and I suppose it will work fine.

Even though I cut it at the 2 1/2 mark it was still in the way of the motor assembly. You won't know this until you try to assemble it. Of course I had installed the vent before putting in the motor, but it's possible to take the vent out and leave the motor in if you have it installed.

Here's how much I ended up cutting off. I may have a 1/4" clearance in there. If your radio is out already I would just install the motor then slide this in from the side until it's cut to the right length. That's what I did and it worked fine.

My youngest helping make one of several cuts

The next hiccup you'll find is that the switch (2 speed BTW) will hit the motor:

Here's the fix for that:

I just kept bending them until nothing was touching anything it shouldn't

I picked up an original ****, but haven't tried to make it adapt to the new motor. Anyone done this or know if there is an original style **** with the right insides to match?

The new one is a set screw, the old is not and too short to drill and tap

The last problem that I ran into was that even though I had trimmed enough off the length what was left of my vent was now hitting the motor assembly length wise. The screw/hole closest to the passenger side will line up, but the other side will be off by a hair. I ended up drilling a new pilot hole and installing it where it laid. I don't have a picture for that, but here's the final look.

My truck only had 1 wiper when I got it,but I picked up the passenger side with connecting rod off an F2.

I took these pictures for my sake because I did not try to figure out how they connect BEFORE I installed it.....

Decided I needed a C clip or something similar with a washer or equivalent, so I picked up a few kinds at Lowe's last night

Ross posted this last night on another thread as well:

Looks like I need 17531 and 17562

A couple other random shots:

I went with an Allen head on this side because I found I could maneuver better than with the Phillips and screwdriver

At the end of the day I think it will be a good upgrade,and this kit seems pretty solid. I have only tested it where it sits, so I can't speak to how well it does when it's raining etc, nor have I installed my gauges yet to see how tight that will be. If I notice any problems I will update this as needed.

Like I said before, please ad to this so folks in the future can make a more educated decision when they do their upgrade. It's all about passing it along. I hope you got something from this, or at least enjoyed the show.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:35 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm using the same unit in my '49 F4.I had the same issues as you with the drive piece on the motor, it took quite a bit of filing. I agree, otherwise it looks like a quality unit. Is there a reason that you didn't rotate the motor down to give clearance for the switch? The bracket is slotted. IIRC, the shaft on the switch is the same size as the original, so I planned to cut it off the same length and slot it for the original ****.
Mark

Old 01-11-2015, 12:44 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
In my 49 I used the cable type SPW setup since I wanted to retain the cowl vent AND have heat, original defrost vents and AC behind the dash. In their system the wiper motor can be remotely mounted. I mounted the motor/drive behind the drivers side kick panel.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:12 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Good call on file Mark, I wish I would have thought of that........
I left the motor up because I'm also rewiring and like the extra room. I figured if I can make it work in the up position than I'd rather do that than fight with my gauges etc.

Bill, that sounds like a nice unit. You have any photos?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:06 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I just took apart the wipers on my 51 and the part 17562 was ( or used to be ) like a rubber grommet, it fit into the arm and the hex on the wiper motor fit into the oring center..so it was a rubber cushion at the connection point. Mine was dried out and fell into pieces when I took it apart so I will probably modify a new grommet to work.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:38 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
The rubber bushing is available from Dennis Carpenter and I'm sure others. IIRC Carpenter is were I ordered mine.
Mark

Old 01-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the cable drive wiper system from Easy Wire. It worked slick and left lots of room under the dash for heat, AC and wiring...The motor can be mounted inside or out and is pretty quiet. I installed it out on the firewall with some rubber spacers to quiet it down even more.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by sere0501
Bill, that sounds like a nice unit. You have any photos?

Look up SPW. They are best known for their power windows and the wiper setup. Pictures installed with the AC in place with controls, defrost and flexible ducts for defrost heat and AC are not a possibility (you can't see it!)

Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 AM
sere0501
Senior User
Just wanted to finish out the install of the connecting rod to the motor. I ended up buying 2 clips from C&G and the rubber grommet.

I could not get the one on the left to work. I thought I'd buy it just in case.

This one fit great (notice no A in the part number)

I had to put the grommet in the hole in the arm and then hit it with some WD40 in order to get it to seat over the hex nut on the motor.

Correct clip

This clip from Lowe's also worked

Tested it in every possible position with no clearance issues.

In case you're in a pinch and need a temp fix, this is the part number

Hope someone finds this useful at some point. Keep Trucking!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:50 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice write up...

Old 01-31-2015, 10:32 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Thanks Moe! Nice truck by the way. Looks like they are long lost brothers......

Yours

Mine

Who knew??

Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as I know the wiper kit I used on my 49 was not a Speedway Motors unit (got it from a member here on the forum) but it looks exactly like the one you used. Had the same problems with the **** too. I found that the motor was very noisy when in operation. Did you find that also?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 AM
sere0501
Senior User
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
As far as I know the wiper kit I used on my 49 was not a Speedway Motors unit (got it from a member here on the forum) but it looks exactly like the one you used. Had the same problems with the **** too. I found that the motor was very noisy when in operation. Did you find that also?

Thanks for the input Vern! The motor is a bit loud, but I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary for having the motor right under your noise. However I have not used it for a long period of driving (yet) as it's currently -22 (20 deg warmer than the past week) and I'm still getting things all put back together. I will update this as time goes on if I notice things like it being way loud, etc.

What did you do for a ****. I purchased one that said it was for 12v from Classic Haulers, but it was the same as the original, and was meant to attach to the vacuum 6v unit. Just took some photos and the bag says vacuum on it, so not sure why it was listed as 12v on the site. I took the little metal tab out of it and it will slide over the stud for the wiper switch. I may have to just put a dab of glue on it and figure on replacing the **** every time I need to take it off.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:02 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used the **** that came with the wiper. It's not original but I didn't care about originality...

Old 02-02-2015, 01:21 PM
ryans88gt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a similar kit from speedway for my 51. I had to do a number of modifications as well.

I had to cut the arm off and move it closer to the center and reweld because the throw was too long. Also had to take the wiper transmission apart and move the pin because the wipers parked in the up position instead of the down position.

Not exactly bolt on, but it works and the price is decent.

Quick Reply: Best 12v Wiper Review (plus tutorial and pile on)