1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Rsc/abs traction warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Momofmany
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rsc/abs traction warning lights

Hello ford enthusiasts,I am looking for some wisdom.I have a 15 passenger 2008 e350 van that is having some issues.a few weeks ago,the abs light came on and the rsc traction warning message popped up in my odometer area.the button that controls the traction control is lit and the off light is on.a warning chime sounds repetitively every 5 minutes letting me know the abs isn't working.when my mechanic hooked it to the computer,the computer couldn't pick up messages from the abs module.he then told me I needed to take it to a ford dealer.i did that.the dealer is not positive what the issue is either but they think it's either the speed sensors or it needs a new abs module.because my mechanics computer could not communicate with the abs module,they are all leaning toward the idea that that is what needs replacing.to the tune of $1500.but they tell me they cannot even guarantee me that's the issue.i had them order the part,but I am really feeling uneasy with the idea of spending that much money with the idea that it's not 100% guarantee going to fix this issue?I would love some feedback from anyone who might have some technical knowledge or wisdom to share with me?I use this van to carry my big family to and fro so I really need to make sure I have good functioning brakes!would love any help or advice please?thank you in advance!

Old 01-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
High tech parts like that can be extremely difficult or impossible to diagnose. Unfortunately you may be stuck with a $1500 guess. It's a real bummer because the Ford dealer is probably just as uncomfortable as you are with the guess (well, not quite as uncomfortable, but you get the point ..). They'd certainly prefer to give you a sure-fire diagnosis if it's available.

One thing I'll add is this: whether you're at a Ford dealer or a backyard mechanic- the diagnosis and repairs are only as good as the technician involved. It's true in my industry (fire safety) and it's true in auto repair. The technician is THE variable.
"going to the Ford dealer" is absolutely not equal to "getting the best/proper service". My local Ford dealer has frustrated me to my wit's end = with SIMPLE things they fail at; tire pressures, rotating tires, brake inspections, greasing fittings...

If you have the money to spare; I'd take it to a different Ford dealer for another full diagnosis. Don't tell them about the 1st Ford dealer- just tell them you are a "Mom of many" and need their help fixing the van and conserving your dollars. Tell them that you did some internet research and that you believe this could be a complex issue and that you want their BEST technician to diagnose it. Also, this is rather prejudice but I'd recommend finding the "biggest, bestest" Ford dealer in your area. I believe they'll have the best reputation and the best technicians. Oh! and politely haggle them on the price. I bet that $1,500 estimate could be whittled down substantially (especially with the Momofmany fact)

Please keep us posted!

Old 01-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Just so you know: your brakes will function just fine with the ABS trouble. It'll just be the ABS that doesn't function. ABS is optional and you can choose to live without it. It will (or may) require you to retrain your brain regarding emergency/panic stops. More info on that if you ask.
Sounds like the RSC also won't work; but I don't know very much about that. I do know that millions of cars/trucks/vans have drivens billions of safe miles without ABS nor RSC.

legal disclaimer: you should have your vehicle repaired to factory spec's by qualified technicians, no matter what the cost.

my personal opinion: RSC and ABS are optional. Drive safely and gently and don't sweat it too much now. If you have time; search for a fantastic Ford technician. If you have money; get a 2nd opinion on the diagnosis.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:28 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Too many people already involved trying to diagnose and fix this----we won't be a lot of help getting you closer to an actual cure sad to say.

I'm with Fast50 here for the most part---his point about the technician being a variable couldn't be spoken more truthfully.

If someone cannot or will not give you a definite diagnosis and a firm price on repair based upon knowledge or experience with your exact issue leaving their place ASAP is you best choice. Guess work involving a $1,500 part PLUS labor is pure BS.

The "better" technicians or shops will have the diagnostic equipment with current updated information to interrogate your van's computer system that is responsible for monitoring and reporting the various sub-systems such as your RSC and ABS. Since your normal mechanic cannot read the van's computer doesn't mean anything other than his equipment isn't capable---the right diagnostic equipment has astounding capability that includes a very deep interrogation and investigation into the main computer where so much info is stored even in the case of huge operational failures.

Fast50's also correct those two features don't reduce the van's stopping power however if you've become accustomed to their influence while driving that cargo of people units then you want to get it all resolved quickly.

Before you spend ANY amount of money get at least one well-informed actual diagnosis of the problem and what's required to solve it. Dealerships technician in theory would have access to infinite information about their brands--in reality they who own the dealership often times don't invest in training or equipment to fully utilize such info availability.

Don't "hope" for the best when this much money is at stake. I would bet the solution to all this is $100 in parts at most plus labor to install and of course diagnose.

Not a lot of specific help I know but not having your van at our personal disposal makes this guess work on our parts too----and we don't charge for sharing.

Best of luck in this!