1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L O N G, L O N G Term Storage - 2015 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Jethrone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L O N G, L O N G Term Storage - 2015 Lariat

This is not the anticipated topic of my first post on the forum, but that's just my luck. I have a 6 month old 2015 F350 Lariat with almost 5000kms. It's been great and I could possible be in love!

Unfortunately, I have been told that I will most likely be posted to Europe this summer. There is no way I'm driving the truck on those small roads, and I would imagine getting service on it would be a little difficult.

So it appears that I'm stuck putting it into storage for 4 years I have spent many hours reading forums on storage, many of which seem to get pretty heated, which is not what I am looking for. But 4 years is certainly a little longer than I have read anywhere. I have discussed with my local Ford Service manager, who basically said to remove the batteries, put it on jack stands and off I go.

The plan is to put it into an indoor/heated facility, but I would certainly appreciate any comments and suggestions. Am I better off putting it somewhere that will drive it occasionally? Any ideas regarding fluids/keeping critters out?

Jethrone

Old 01-10-2015, 08:57 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
If I was not going to use my truck for 4 years, I would sell it.

After four years, you would have storage costs, insurance, interest, and plenty of depreciation. Any loss you would have on a sale would be less than four years of depreciation, insurance, interest, and the storage costs. In four years you have the option to purchase a new truck or re-purchase a 2015 on the used market.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Welcome to FTE!!!!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:59 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User
I'd sell it, sucks you bought brand new and have to take that roll of the lot hit. 4 years is a long time to leave a brand new truck sit. You can probably buy a '15 cheaper in 4 years then you could sell this one for now and sitting can be just as hard on a vehicle as driving it.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:50 AM
FarmingF250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this was 2003 and he had a new 7.3 with 5000k on it would the advice be sell it or store it.

IF you can store it cheap and you really like the truck I'd be tempted to keep it. Who knows what will be on the market in 4 years and if you even want to buy it.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:50 AM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i won't get into the keep or sell debate. people store cars all the time. classics!

i would think about draining the fuel tank or at least treating the fuel. things (algee) like to grow in in unused diesel fuel. also we use moth ***** and dryers sheets to keep critters away when we store our t.t. and boat. a good cover never hurts either

paul

Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Another vote for selling it. A lot can change in 4 years. Get the most out of your truck now, money wise. You'll take a beating either way. If you have to keep it, have someone drive the truck monthly, maybe 100 mile trip.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I hate to see a forum member in this bind. Tell you what, bring it down to me and I'll drive it around for you for the next four years, and I won't even charge you for it.

But in all seriousness, it's a tough position to be in with a brand new truck. I think I'd probably try to sell it. At least now, you have plenty of time to try to work out some kind of consignment sale, or private sale.

If you can keep it stored indoors, and climate controlled, without breaking your bank in storage fees, then I would completely drain the fuel from the system and possibly pull off the fuel filters, set the truck on jack stands and get the weight off of the tires and suspension. If it's a "clean" storage area, I'd probably crack the windows an inch or so to allow air to circulate and hopefully cut down on mold and mildew building up in the interior. If not, then I'd roll them up tight and hope for the best. Hopefully where ever you store it has a pest control/exterminator service that can keep the critters out of your storage space.

You're probably better off selling it just so you don't have to worry about it while you're gone. From spending 8 years active duty military, storing vehicles while overseas has always had it's issues. It would be better if you had family you could leave it with to take care of it for you while you were gone. Is that an option for you or no?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Jethrone
Freshman User
Thanks for the comments so far. My original intent when purchasing the truck was to keep it for a VERY long time, so depreciation wasn't a concern back then. Assuming i only have to cover insurance and not the storage costs, I'm really worried about the condition of the truck after that long...presumably a little hard on the engine? Still trying to weigh the costs of possible maintenance costs after 4 yrs with higher interest rates (most likely), etc. It would be hard paying for a truck I can't drive, but would be paid off by the time we return. Not a fun position to be in, but an easy life is a boring life!

Old 01-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tough decision but I wouild sell.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:47 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sell it and get you an all aluminum Superduty when you get back.......

Old 01-10-2015, 11:00 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I would sell. If you elect to store the truck, make certain it is in a low humidity environment. Make plans to keep rodents, vermin out of the truck. The prep mentioned above is important.
So far as letting a trusted friend drive it, Many years ago, I kept and maintained a sports car for a friend who was being deployed. Choose the friend wisely if you go this route. I truly hope you're not upside down in pay off vs value.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:16 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jethrone
Thanks for the comments so far. My original intent when purchasing the truck was to keep it for a VERY long time, so depreciation wasn't a concern back then. Assuming i only have to cover insurance and not the storage costs, I'm really worried about the condition of the truck after that long...presumably a little hard on the engine? Still trying to weigh the costs of possible maintenance costs after 4 yrs with higher interest rates (most likely), etc. It would be hard paying for a truck I can't drive, but would be paid off by the time we return. Not a fun position to be in, but an easy life is a boring life!
Sitting will be hard on all seals and parts brakes, rear end, trans and motor. If it sits for 4 years I'll bet you would be replacing some stuck/leaking parts when you get back. With no miles how would the warranty work out? Is there a short time limit on brakes parts and such?

Old 01-10-2015, 01:09 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
One other thought about selling your truck. Who knows what happens for you in four years. Maybe you will not want a truck at that time. People change, situations change, jobs, parents, kids, wife, ex-wife, step-kids, grand-kids, who knows. Doesn't sound like you knew six months ago when you purchased the truck that you would only use it for a few months and then have to store it. Four years is a long time and a lot changes.

If you watch the TV show, Chasing Classic Cars, plenty of cars get put into storage for a few years and then never seem to get put back on the road by the people that put them into storage.

No shame in selling a slightly used truck. Take the cash, invest it, and move on.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:44 PM
williamg4x4
Mountain Pass

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would sell also. The 6.7 is a complex truck not a classic there are a lot things to dry up and go bad. I have 5 classics and its a constant thing and I am home to do it myself. good luck and be safe out their . But in the end its up to you.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:15 PM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm in the "sell it" camp. In four years you will have a practically new truck with little or no warranty. You may very well have some maintenance issues from the storage period as well. Get a new 2020 when you get back.

Quick Reply: L O N G, L O N G Term Storage - 2015 Lariat