1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L O N G, L O N G Term Storage - 2015 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 04:13 PM
427ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't have a friend or relative that can run it occasionally? If not, change ALL fluids / filters, batteries and tires when you return. Selling it is a valid point, too.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:44 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
do you have someone you can trust that would take it out once a month and drive it around to keep everything working? If not I'd sell it and set that money aside to purchase another when you get back.

If you do elect to keep it put it on jackstands; disconnect batteries; remove tires and sell them so you can restart with fresh rubber; make sure vehicle is free of dirt, salt, etc., and coat the underside of the truck heavily with fluid film to keep rust away. Put mothballs and dryer sheets inside and around all electrical components.

When you get back drive it home and replace all fluids.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:01 PM
watchluvr4ever
Senior User
I agree with those who say sell it. Also if you're making payments it just makes sense to not let it sit. Shoot you could always save that payment money aside and buy something real nice or have a good down payment in four years.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sell it - it's only a truck made by people and better ones will be built in 2019 for the 2020 year run. The cost of mechanically refurbishing a vehicle that has sat for years is very high. Then there is the deterioration of the cab and other soft parts, often by rodents that can and will get in somehow. They also love to chew on under hood plastics as well as rubber pieces as I've found out with several cars and trucks plus my little diesel yard tractor.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 AM
ketel0ne
Senior User
I stored a less than 3 year old car for over a year, with someone taking it out about once a month. The irony was when I brought it home it sat for about 3 months with it getting driven about once a month. Then I sold it. I wasted way too much storing it for a year+ but as people have said things change, needs change.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I vote not to sell it, assuming the purchase made sense to begin with. A four year gig overseas doesn't mean you're in prison, or can't come home every year or so does it?

You've already taken a big hit on depreciation of a new truck, may likely take a bigger hit on the sale, and then in four years need to buy all over again? That doesn't make sense. Concentrate on paying it off in a year, etc.

You should be able to work out some kind of storage policy insurance wise and save quite a bit that way if necessary. What I do know is gaps in your policy or canceling is not a good idea and your rate will go way up if they don't refuse to renew altogether.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
I vote not to sell it, assuming the purchase made sense to begin with. A four year gig overseas doesn't mean you're in prison, or can't come home every year or so does it?

You've already taken a big hit on depreciation of a new truck, may likely take a bigger hit on the sale, and then in four years need to buy all over again.
At first this sounds good, but you'd have to UN-do the storage process, then RE-do it again to put it back. That's a PITA and prone to mistake.
I would sell it and save all the storage fees.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
At first this sounds good, but you'd have to UN-do the storage process, then RE-do it again to put it back. That's a PITA and prone to mistake. I would sell it and save all the storage fees.
Nah, not really. If he comes home every year, major storage preps aren't really necessary. Put a charged battery in, drop it off the jackstands and take it for a spin. BFD

Another thing not mentioned, even if he elects not to actually drive it "over there" it can still be shipped at no cost to him and parked on base. Take it out once in a while, etc. This isn't that big a deal either way.

What IS a big deal, he (probably) has no equity whatsoever in the truck. Probably loses 20% of the purchase price as soon as it's driven off the lot. Figure another discount as soon as a buyer sniffs out he's a GI who "has to sell now". So he's stuck with 10 or 20k payment + interest on something he doesn't even own anymore?

Bad idea.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
I too would agree sell it and get a brand new one when you get back. I think the factory warranty will be over. Get your money out of it and you don't have to worry about the truck in storage. Just saying...

Old 01-11-2015, 07:09 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Storage costs will not be the concern. Neither is insurance as you can specify that as well.

Storage costs would be paid for in your in the Military.

Take the truck. As someone who has been in Germany and driven all over Europe. The roads are not that bad. We had a highboy when I was over there with a camper on it.

I suppose you could get the GI special Bondo car over there and spend 6 months out of the year trying to get it to pass inspection, only to have it crap out and start over.

Think about it.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Others have suggested taking the truck to Europe - where? Will your company or your military pay to ship it there? Europe is a pretty big area and not every country if any have the capability or skills to service a North American spec'd diesel powered Ford Super Duty. Not every country will have DEF. Not every country will be 'equipped' with roads that will handle the sheer physical size of an 7.5' wide, 8000+ pound North American sized pick up truck. The UK comes to mind with very narrow roads along with having the driver on the 'wrong' side. Diesel is cheaper then gas but it isn't ULSD as it is in your home country of Canada.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
American military bases are, as one might imagine, very Americanized. The taxpayers pay for shipping back and forth. They drive HUGE trucks everywhere, anyway it's the .mil remember? Anyway... He can get whatever he needs as far as THAT goes.

The issue here really is a financial one, not storage or friggin' DEF availability. If it was paid for, then there are options. (Making some assumptions here on the average .mil fellow. Ask me how I know)

Selling it still might be a bad deal, but nowhere near the loss on a financed truck. Since it ain't paid for?? except for five months he would take a big hit financially, and be without personal transportation.

Upon return to the states in any case buying another truck - bam, another 20 percent gone, down the tubes, as soon as it's driven off the lot. For this reason alone selling it makes little sense and is a good example why it is important to purchase things on credit only rarely and very carefully, and probably not brand new F350 with a five or six year note. (Again, maybe an assumption I shouldn't make)

You guys ever try to sell something you don't own? Guess what - the lender who holds the note has some strong opinions about that. If I buy it, I want the title. How does that work? Well he has to come up with the difference to satisfy the note.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:33 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Take the truck. You won't regret it.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:17 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Guys, the OP is Canadian.

He also didn't say that he was military, only that he would be there 4 years.

He also didn't state which country he was going to, hence my post 3 above this one.......

Old 01-12-2015, 07:09 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9

You guys ever try to sell something you don't own? Guess what - the lender who holds the note has some strong opinions about that. If I buy it, I want the title. How does that work? Well he has to come up with the difference to satisfy the note.
He has the title. It is just a matter of giving the lein release to the buyer. It is done all the time.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: L O N G, L O N G Term Storage - 2015 Lariat