1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

EFI to Carb. No Power.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Reconor
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Four.on.the.floor
How long have you had it running at a single given time ?
It will idle all day. but since ive bought it in the fall less that 20 hours. less than 6 on the swap. the efi was running really bad. it wouldnt leave the 1500-2500 rpm range even at no throttle. i think the map sensor was messed up. which is why i decided to do the swap in the first place. you couldnt rev it fast either cause it just choked itself out. maybe its something more than just the efi or carb...also just another note. the dizzy rotates clockwise. everything i see online is counter clockwise...

Old 01-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Four.on.the.floor
Senior User
What about the advance on the distributor ?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Reconor
Junior User
What about the advance on the distributor ?
its hooked to the correct vacuum port on the carb so it only sees vacuum after the throttle is cracked. i blew into it and it seems to be working correctly...

Old 01-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Four.on.the.floor
Senior User
I hope and bet a compression check might help if you were having problems before this. And I know this is kinda funny but make sure the fuel filter is not on backwards. I never realized how little flow it actually has the wrong way. Until I blew air through one and it was a major difference.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Reconor
Junior User
I hope and bet a compression check might help if you were having problems before this. And I know this is kinda funny but make sure the fuel filter is not on backwards. I never realized how little flow it actually has the wrong way. Until I blew air through one and it was a major difference.
Ok I'll do a compression test then and post results tomorrow. I have two fuel filters on it. One that came with the pump that screws right into it and one that I added right after the pickup tube on the tank because there is no screen on the pipe in the tank. I'll verify direction tomorrow as well. Thank you for the help and good advice. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Four.on.the.floor
Senior User
Just Hope it's something simple.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:57 PM
whisler
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
"Where is the lean or rich adjustment on the holley carbs? I have the adjustment for the idle set for both banks with those little screws on the sides of the bowl, but i see no other adjustment than the idle speed and the float height."
Those screws are the mixture screws not the idle speed screws and should be turned out about 1 1/2 to 2 turns normally. Idle speed screw is on the side of the carb. on the linkage. 29 inch of vacuum seems abnormally high also.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:14 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not the original engine. It's a later roller cam one.

I think 29" is a typo. I hope it is anyway.

Gently bottom both mixture screws and count the turns in. Turn them out 1-1/2 to 2 turns. Then with the truck running, adjust the screws in and out, counting the turns, until you get the best idle.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:18 AM
Reconor
Junior User
Im hoping that its something simple too. Im going out right now to make myself a compression tester. And yes i may have typed wrong two places. The idle screw is set correct for idle speed. Then two screws on either side of the bowl for the mixture are set to 1 1/2 turns out from bottom. No smoke out the exhaust either. Also i have 19 inch vacuum not 29. And finally are you sure that its not the original engine? I was told that it was...kinda makes me wonder what else was done to the truck...will be posting numbers for compression test before lunch today

Old 01-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Reconor
Junior User
Compression test results -
Cylinder 1 - 140 PSI
Cylinder 2 - 140 PSI
Cylinder 3 - 140 PSI
Cylinder 4 - 145 PSI
Cylinder 5 - 150 PSI
Cylinder 6 - 145 PSI
Cylinder 7 - 140 PSI
Cylinder 8 - 140 PSI

Also Noted the plugs are black. Very black...

Old 01-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Reconor
Junior User
Ok so no vacuum leaks, tested all around everywhere with carb cleaner. No change in idle. Here is a video with a rev, and then the second part is where it dies after putting in drive. sometimes it doesnt die right away but will not move forward no matter the throttle given.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Reconor
Junior User

What is that thing? Because when i took my cap off of it it seems to run a little less rich? but now im getting a knock on every few firings. like the cylinder is loading up or something. i readjusted the carb float until it just started to trickle out the side fill screw and now if i let the pump run with the motor off it just fills the entire carb up with fuel!! what the hell is up with that?

Here is a video of the cycling idle. sounds like its loading up then goes back to normal, then loads up again...i think im getting closer though because now when i put it in drive and give it some gas it knocks pretty bad. so im thinking timing, intake, or fueling....

Old 01-11-2015, 05:19 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reconor
Im hoping that its something simple too. Im going out right now to make myself a compression tester. And yes i may have typed wrong two places. The idle screw is set correct for idle speed. Then two screws on either side of the bowl for the mixture are set to 1 1/2 turns out from bottom. No smoke out the exhaust either. Also i have 19 inch vacuum not 29. And finally are you sure that its not the original engine? I was told that it was...kinda makes me wonder what else was done to the truck...will be posting numbers for compression test before lunch today
The roller cam didn't come out until the early 90's. 92 I believe for the 302.

The piece on the back is for the air injection system. It shouldn't affect how it runs.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Reconor
Junior User
Originally Posted by f100beatertruck
The roller cam didn't come out until the early 90's. 92 I believe for the 302.

The piece on the back is for the air injection system. It shouldn't affect how it runs.
Oh wow ok. So leaving it plugged off wont help or hurt anything?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds to me more like a transmission issue, not revving or moving much if any at all sounds more like a transmission stuck in OD and a converter trying to lock. Have you tried manually putting it in 1st? I'm no AOD expert but there must be one around here somewhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EFI to Carb. No Power.