Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 F350 CC DRW Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:07 PM
RustyTub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 F350 CC DRW Project

Hi there, not new to the site but new to this section. I needed a truck to tow my trailers and possibly a travel trailer in the future, and my 67 F250 is going slower than I hoped so I had been looking for a decent deal on a Ford Truck as a temporary Work Truck.

I found a 1990 F350 Crew Cab DRW with a 460 and the Banks Power Pack with a ZF5 on Craigslist about 11 Days ago, It was Advertised for 2K. So I bit the bullet and went out and looked at it, she was a little rough to say the least. The line from the clutch slave to Clutch master was gone, The steering box was toast and it had to be hot wired to fire up. But the bones of the truck are solid so I made a 1200 dollar offer and it was mine. So I had it towed to My shop on the 30th.

We went ahead and put a new Steering box, Power steering Pump, Clutch master, Clutch hard line, Clutch Slave, Brake master and all the soft brake lines, on it that night.

The next two days I rebuilt the steering column fixed the ignition issues which was caused by a mouse chewing on some wires. Found out that the rear tank fuel pump had been hot wired to run all the time, so I found the issue in the tank change over switch and repaired that, although the fuel gauge still is inop ( sender is bad) Rebuilt the passenger side window motor, replaced the headlamp switch, and gave the interior a deep cleaning.

Then a week ago the 2nd I drove it home and back to work on saturday, Had some new rubber installed on the front, wired in a 12v power outlet along with two usb charger outlets, Loaded all my trailer gear, straps tie downs and my road side tool kit. drove home hitched up my 20ft flat bed car trailer and hit the sack for the next three days was going to be a heck of a test.

Sunday My Girlfriend and I woke up at 330am and hit the road by 4 AM we left Bend Or and headed south for Sacramento. The truck was doing great plenty of power and cruise control was great. as we pulled into Redding California we had smoke coming out the dash coolant was leaking on the floor and My girlfriend was in a utter panic. The heater core gave up. we pulled into an local parts store, Heater core was 29 bucks and took 30 min to install and clean up the mess. Then we hit the road again.

We got to Sacramento at 1pm dropped of her son with his father, Then headed across town to pick up a 2003 Porsche Boxster for my Boss. Got the car Loaded plugged in the next destination in the GPS and headed to Monterey Ca. The car and Trailer Weighed 5300 LBS and the truck handled it perfectly. We pulled into our Hotel at 8pm in Monterey Ca. Day 1 was in the bag.

The Next Morning we got up at and left at 8am. We had 3 hours to kill till our next pickup, which was great because that gave me time to have breakfast at the same dinner my Grandfather took us boys to some 20 years ago, we also got to go by My grandparents old house in Marina CA and also a Visit to the Beach I remember so well when we would visit them.

At 11 am we hit Moss Landing and picked up a set of wheel for on of our Shop Projects a 96 Porsche 911. This guy was awesome he owns a great Hot rod shop in Monterey but we met him at his 600 acre ranch on the beach. We spent a couple hours shooting the breeze and enjoying the beautiful scenery.

Then we Hit the road this time it was off to Reno NV, 300 miles later we pulled into the Atlantis resort. Had a great Dinner and did a bit of gambling. Day 2 was done and over with

The Next day we visited some friends and finished picking up My girlfriends stuff from storage. We hit the road at noon for Grants Pass Oregon. Due to Traffic and a couple of food stops we got into Grants Pass at 9pm all the time the truck is just singing right along. we load up a set of wheels for another shop car, I have a brief conversation With my Best friend that had been holding the wheels for me, and then we hit the road again. We choose to just push threw and head home, 200 miles away threw some pretty icy passes. We got home at 2am got the truck and trailer parked and choose to get gas when we would wake up and head to the shop.

So on Wedn. We head to the shop a 1pm I am cruising at 55mph when the truck just shuts off, we where out of gas. so we waited 30min while a friend brought us fuel. Guess I forgot to hit the gas station before I headed to work.

This truck did great I still have a long list of fixes but starting to think I will keep this truck around and it will just always have the trailer on it. We got a best of 11.9 MPG and that was with the full load. the worst was 8.5 and that was loaded pulling donner pass, This truck would hold any speed on the grades but I found it best to just keep her at 55 and run 4th gear on the grades.

My list of future fixes includes,
Install the front fuel tank
replace the rear fuel sending unit
fix both front door hinges and adjust so they close easier
replace int. wiper module they only work if you release the ebrake hard
replace the drivers side door latch (only opens from the inside)
Rebuild the pedal assembly, clutch pedal pivot is badly worn.
Also going to remove the Cat (no Smog here) and also install a Magnaflow muffler and new exhaust tip
Repaint LR dually fender and tail gate
Remove plastic bed liner and have the bed rino lined then properly install the 5th wheel hitch
And maybe in the future drop the ride height down some

All in all I am happy with the reliability of this truck The engine is strong it tows great and all ready has airbag overloads in the rear. Here is a pic when we stopped in Reno.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:39 PM
RustyTub
Senior User

Hoping to find the time this weekend to get all the extra stupid emblems removed, and get the truck washed. But looks like I have a car to grab in seattle now. No rest this weekend

Also Any one know where I could find a replacement bumper like what is installed on the truck??

Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 AM
emspjay
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice truck! I miss my 1985 dually. When my F250 dies I think I will get another dually.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:20 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Is the interior as clean as it looks in the pics?

Old 01-10-2015, 02:41 PM
RustyTub
Senior User
Yea the interior is pretty darn clean in this thing. Only bad part is the drivers side seat, the foam has broken down so when I push the clutch I can feel a metal support bar right on my lower back. I am going to have the seat repadded as there is no tears in it. Just need to find time when I can be without a seat for awhile.

Now when I bought it, the interior was full of mouse crap, Hay , and soaking wet. My Girlfriend pulled it all apart carpet out seats out cleaned and shampoo'd everything. She even had the door panels off and cleaned out the inside of the doors.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyTub
Yea the interior is pretty darn clean in this thing. Only bad part is the drivers side seat, the foam has broken down so when I push the clutch I can feel a metal support bar right on my lower back. I am going to have the seat repadded as there is no tears in it. Just need to find time when I can be without a seat for awhile.

Now when I bought it, the interior was full of mouse crap, Hay , and soaking wet. My Girlfriend pulled it all apart carpet out seats out cleaned and shampoo'd everything. She even had the door panels off and cleaned out the inside of the doors.
Can't say I haven't seen that. Brother's ranger was literally filled to the bottom of the back window with no seats and the bed was half full of trash (it is a project truck).

Truck looks great. I love dually crew cabs.
Trav

Old 01-10-2015, 03:01 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyTub

Better get that girl a ring! Nice truck for 1200

Old 01-28-2015, 12:23 PM
RustyTub
Senior User
Well not too much to update on progress, Got a front tank after an adventure of running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. Luckily we had a fuel can and 2 gallons of gas barely made to the next gas station, then 60 miles later we found out the PO removed the fuel line securing clips to make the rear fuel pump connection easier to put on. Well that made it come off while traveling down the highway. Thus soaking the whole underside in fuel and the Nissan xterra that was on the trailer at the time as well (not to big of a deal its the ex wifes car and luckily not a customers)

So I have managed to use a doorman kit and repair both rear fuel pump connections and getting ready to install the front tank but today I am dead set on figuring out why my Int. wipers only work when the dash is tapped on. has to be a bad connection or even a cold or broken solder joint in the wiper module tearing it apart now to find out.