6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Low Fuel Pressure Warning message

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
My experience when I first got my 2011 F-350 was filter clogging due to not enough anti-gel additive being used.

Zero degree weather.....all was well. Then it dropped to -15*F and I got the Low Fuel Pressure warning. I drove to my dealer (10 Miles). They pulled the filters and showed me. Changed filters added extra additive......all was good.

From then on, I do measure the correct amount of additive and add an ounce. I also switched to Stanadyne.........

Now I have my 2015.......Been using Stanadyne since the beginning. We have hit -22 so far with no problems.........

Man, I love this truck !!........

Old 01-11-2015, 02:24 PM
dsladdict
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner01
A note here on this topic;
If you receive the low fuel pressure message and are able to just let the truck idle the return fuel will warm the fuel enough to de-wax the filters. If you have the time is the key here as there isn't a need to change the filters as the fuel will reconstitute.
There is a recirculation valve in the fuel return line...

Thermal recirculation valve is fully open up to
between 24-27°C (75 - 80°F) and fully closed at
38°C (100°F) (all fuel goes back to tank)

So this will in fact heat the fuel, however, it is not necessary to leave the engine at idle, the truck may be driven. Once started and allowed enough time for adequate lubrication(30-60 seconds) it is better to put a light load on the engine so it heats up faster. When the Low Fuel Pressure message is displayed the PCM limits the power output of the engine to 70%.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:06 PM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be extremely hesitant to continue operating any diesel when I was made aware of partially clogged fuel filters. If you're in cold enough weather to let fuel start to gel, driving down the road will only make the condition worse, wind chill.

I wasn't aware that the 6.7 cut the fuel in this situation, thanks for the info.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:12 PM
dsladdict
Senior User
Originally Posted by roadrunner01
I would be extremely hesitant to continue operating any diesel when I was made aware of partially clogged fuel filters. If you're in cold enough weather to let fuel start to gel, driving down the road will only make the condition worse, wind chill.

I wasn't aware that the 6.7 cut the fuel in this situation, thanks for the info.
I know it seems counterintuitive but in cold weather the engine will only heat up so much without a load. Idling brings its own problems. The low pressure switch actuates at something like 48 psig.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sgt93
I'm going to drive the rest of the way home and see how it goes while I wait to hear back from the dealer.

I guess a lot of folks didn't see this statement. He drove it at highway speeds (based on two other posts), his fuel should have been warm by then and as some had said it should have fixed the gel problem if that in fact is what was going on.

My vote is dirty filters or the low pressure pump is going, going,........

Good luck Sgt.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good evening all. Thanks again to all who posted with their thoughts, opinions, expertise etc. I appreciate it.

When I was driving back the other day, I definitely had enough time for the fuel system to warm up. Even though I never made it above 55.

Reminder, I had PM23A anti-gel in the tank, and had more han enough. I don't use it sparingly. I also didn't have to refill my tank and some random station, so I only had fuel from my two local stations that I routienly use. A Mobil and a Shell. Both sell a lot of diesel.

Today it was a balmy 32 degrees, so I decided to unplug her and take her for a spin. I did not get the low fuel pressure message, and I initially didn't have the fuel pump buzzing sound. After about 10 minutes of driving or so, the buzzing fuel pump noise came back, but the warning message never returned (although I feel it would have if I punched the throttle and was hard on her, but I was playing it safe). I returned home and shut her off. I'm still awaiting confirmation of an apt from my non tech savvy Ford dealer tomorrow. At this point, I'm a little worried about the fuel system.

As far as selling the truck; I've thought about it for a few weeks now. Still not for sure, but it isn't due to this incident alone; but then again, it's not helping my decision either.

I will update this thread when I know more. Thanks again for all the great info.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:11 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I drove mine for a long time and it didn't clear things out. I wonder if moisture or severe gelling happend and being that it was still 0 temps or below it never could thaw out. Changing the filters cleared the check engine light and no more reduced fuel pressure issues.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:24 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
my concern for the op is the cost....once they see the issue..(filters) he will be the hook for all of it.

That is why I suggested just changing them.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Good morning. Another update.

The service manager called me and told me they ran out of 6.7 filters this weekend. He looked at my notes via my request for service from the Ford Owner site, and told me that several others in my area had the same issue, and we all visited the same fuel station(s) in town.

He is getting more filters in this afternoon, but my truck is going in on Tues morning. We got a slew of ice last night as well, so staying off the roads today is fine with me, as the idiots will be out. I'm also about due for an oil change so I will just get that done as well, since I'm really not close to my dealer. Of course my fuel filters will be here Wed. I will keep those as backups.

Thanks again for the thoughts and concerns. I appreciate it.

Will update again after the apt tomorrow. Have a good one all. I have a sick child home today to tend to.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 AM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck, hope it's just the fuel filter and that the rest of your fuel system hasn't been affected.

It'll be sad to see you part with that beautiful machine.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:16 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
So it sounds like it wasn't blended properly (or at all) at that station?

Hope the kid gets to feeling better soon Steve!

Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 PM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
He was blending his own additive into the fuel, so sounds like a bad batch of fuel delivered in his area. Sorry to say but it does happen, hopefully for everyone involved the filters done their job and stopped whatever was in the fuel.

There is really no way to ensure that your fuel supply is as good as its advertised to be, just keep using high volume stations. I prefer to use a fuel additive, but as I stated earlier, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**, so adding an additive to sub-par fuel will not make it premium diesel.
95% of the fuel I burn comes from my own tanks here on-site, so I have somewhat of an advantage over most others as I have had BP diesel supreme delivered here for over 30 years, with one instance of gelling. I still had a load from late summer and when it hit -20f. I caught it right away with my 6.0, just let it idle for 20 min. or so and all was well. The next day they delivered me winter blend and never had any more issues.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Hi Brett, Doug, Scott, Roadrunnerand all; just got back from the dealer with a nice $275 bill (had my mech change the oil, rotate tires, fill DEF etc as well since I was there. He also took a sample for Blactstone testing for me).

Spoke in depth with my diesel mech, a great guy and excellent mech, before and after the service. He said he hasn't seen so many fuel problems in the years. I don't know what our local fuel places are doing, but it sounds like they are not doing much. He told me my filter was clogged to all he__, and the system was starving for fuel like we all guessed. He changed the filters and inspected the system and everything seemed well. He test drove the truck and all was good as well, the whining was gone as well. He also said the other trucks that came in the past few days had identical problems.

He told me that since I had so much fuel left in the tank, 3/4, and also had PM23A in there, he was worried it would repeat again, especially with the colder sub zero temps returning. He said should it happen again, they would drain the tanks next (my fuel filters will be here Wed just in case). If it happens again, I'm going to the fuel station and pulling the damn pumps out of the ground and telling them we are even. anyways, sounds like some bad fuel was delivered to the area. Again, these stations get lots of diesel use. She ran like a champ on the way home.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Thanks for reporting back.

You might just drain the fuel water separator every day/other day for a while to help keep it clean.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Originally Posted by senix
Thanks for reporting back.

You might just drain the fuel water separator every day/other day for a while to help keep it clean.
Thats a great idea Scott. I'm going to do that. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Low Fuel Pressure Warning message