VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

Getting OFF of Smoking - by any means necessary

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been hesitating to ask you this - but are you the same "FAIRLANEMAN" who got busted out of here as a troll a long time ago?

If you are, and if you have had a change of ideas, if you can get along with us and want a second chance I will support you.

~But if you turn on us and make a troll of yourself I will jump on you like a revenging angel so help me God....

Tell us right here and now who you are.

Mistakes can be forgiven

If you are someone completely different and wonder what in hell I am talking about, forgive me. It is a case of mistaken identity.

Someone with a similar username once disrespected a lot of people here and was banned, it was noteworthy enough to never be forgotten

I AM NOT A MODERATOR OR AN ADMIN

~But I AM the dog at the gates, in a manner of speaking....

I always watch

Old 04-10-2015, 06:10 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Geez Dutch, sounds like you need a cigarette.

I'm kidding, of course. How are you doing with it?

I put down the stinkies almost 3 years ago now, and just vape instead. I never had any health related issues from smoking that I knew of(1 1/2 pks/day x 25 years). No coughs, or acute illness, aside from an annual cold/flu. I was just so sick of cigarettes. I'm not ignorant that it's had to have done damage to my body.

I took to vaping overnight. Technical issues have been the hardest thing for me to overcome. Between unpredictable battery life, failures from drops, or coils that take a dump at the worst time, its been challenging. But, on the 4th of July it will be 3 solid years without a stinkie.

Researching the juice is where my biggest initial concern was. Quality products(not made in China) use food grade vegetable glycerin and flavoring, and medical grade propylene glycol and nicotine.

Big tobacco is fighting hard against the booming vape industry. Studies are out that show various degrees of health consequences. Quality of various products are all over the board.

Me personally, I feel its much better than lighting up a smoke.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know a guy across the street who lost his Lady to tobacco, and never smoked a stinker again.

I admit I am having a tough time with it, but I have been exploring all the flavors and what he did was just go with the tobacco flavors - maybe that makes a difference, I dunno.

I'm thinking about getting tobacco flavored juice instead of the cool juice to see if it makes it different in some fundamental way...

It seems to me that if I can fool myself into thinking:
"It's a cigarette..."
"It's a cigarette...'
"It's a cigarette..."

It might help get rid of my cravings to go back to "THE OTHER"

Old 04-15-2015, 05:04 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Whatever works for you.

I have a sweet tooth, so that's where my taste led me. I have 1 particular brand/flavor that's been my favorite for almost 2 years. I liked it so much because the experience was way better than a stinkie. Until I found it, I tried a few dozen others. I still haven't found the best hardware combo for me.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:35 AM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I met my wife, she was a smoker. She tried several times to quit for me and failed. I thought it was noble, but I told her "if you quit because you want to for you, you'll get better results'. She finally decided to do it for her and went cold turkey. That was 15 years ago and now she can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke!

Old 04-09-2021, 12:25 PM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Received 1,299 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by 84espy
I told her "if you quit because you want to for you, you'll get better results'. She finally decided to do it for her and went cold turkey. That was 15 years ago and now she can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke!
Exactly! Ya gotta want to quit and quit giving oneself excuses to light up.

I smoked for 30 years, pack and a half a day mostly and after burying my brother and dad due to cancer. I told myself I wasn't going out like that. Been stick free for over 11 years now and the only way is cold turkey. Nothing else works, at least not for me. I did find it helped a bit when ever I would get the urge to just take a real deep breath and let it out slowly.

Like your wife, I can't stand the smell of it either and had I known all those years ago I stunk so bad, I would have quit sooner.