Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Strange noise on cold start-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 AM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange noise on cold start-up

Good morning. For the past two times that I've started my truck, it has made a loud popping noise that sounds like it's coming out of the intake. The noise seems to be engine speed and only lasts for 3-4 seconds. It only does it when it's sat overnight or longer, and we've been having temps in the +/- 20 deg range. Haven't yet tried it with the block heater plugged in, as the truck starts great without it. I do have cowl induction and so the noise comes right to me in the cab there and is quite loud. Like I said, a popping noise, fairly low in tone.

I do know that with the heater plugged in, it's never made the noise prior to this.

Thoughts or further questions? Thanks all

Old 01-07-2015, 10:07 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
well the "other site, which shall be nameless" leaned toward a sticking lifter. today I plugged it in for a couple hours prior to starting, and it started and ran flawlessly.

further observation and testing required.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:33 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Another day, another start cycle:

Ambient temp: 35 deg. F

Glow plug function: As Ford intended

Starting results: Completely normal; nothing out of the ordinary observed.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does something similar too. I'm not sure sure how to describe the sound exactly, deep popping / thudding is about as close as I can come. Like you, it's only when it's fairly cold outside (in California, that means 30-40*F ), lasts maybe 3 seconds, and it will never do it on when the camera is recording. I've only had it happen 4 times this year, just enough to make me paranoid.

The last time I mentioned it someone said it might be an injector acting up, but I have no idea if it's true or not, I haven't touched the injectors since I bought the truck. I do have some (what I assume to be) lifter chatter on startup every morning, but it quiets down to nothing after ~20-30 seconds, so I'm hoping it's not an angry lifter on its last legs.

Wish I could be more help. For what it's worth, how many miles do you have on your injectors and IP? Any return line issues that you know of? Just throwing those out there, you never know what information might be useful.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:46 AM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Golden Helmet
Mine does something similar too. I'm not sure sure how to describe the sound exactly, deep popping / thudding is about as close as I can come. Like you, it's only when it's fairly cold outside (in California, that means 30-40*F ), lasts maybe 3 seconds, and it will never do it on when the camera is recording. I've only had it happen 4 times this year, just enough to make me paranoid.

The last time I mentioned it someone said it might be an injector acting up, but I have no idea if it's true or not, I haven't touched the injectors since I bought the truck. I do have some (what I assume to be) lifter chatter on startup every morning, but it quiets down to nothing after ~20-30 seconds, so I'm hoping it's not an angry lifter on its last legs.

Wish I could be more help. For what it's worth, how many miles do you have on your injectors and IP? Any return line issues that you know of? Just throwing those out there, you never know what information might be useful.
Thank you, yes that describes the sound exactly! and yes, 3 seconds or so and only when it's cold outside.

Injectors and IP have been gone through in the last 3-4k miles. Return lines were done then as well.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:48 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
dang them nameless sites (2 threads,two sites and i miss them both.)

it actually sounds like a sticking valve not a lifter to me.what are running for oil? have you considered synthetic?
when a valve sticks you'll get the "whomp,whomp,whomp sounds out the intake.
when you get a stuck lifter,you'll get a high pitched tick,tick,tick.
anyway,try draining off a quart of oil and replacing it with a quart of aft and running it for a few miles.might be all it takes to clean her up.

Sticking Valve Noise in Engine (with Pictures) | eHow

Old 01-10-2015, 11:28 AM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Well my mechanic I believe runs rotella 15-40 (I know, I know, I should change my own freakin oil!!! And I would probably if my mechanic wasn't walking distance away, and I had more time.) Anyhow I've read here and there that that oil can cause higher consumption. Not sure what to make of that. My truck really doesn't use much oil. Anyway I religiously change my oil every 3000 or so because this truck is only used for short trips and running around, which I feel is harder on the oil.

So anyway yesterday I had it plugged in for around an hour
Started great and ran normally at 15 deg or so.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine does this when it sits for more than a few days, I just figured it was a sticking valve. Mine is especially loud since it had an open element air cleaner, it's still loud with the tube and cone filter.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:20 AM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
dang them nameless sites (2 threads,two sites and i miss them both.)

it actually sounds like a sticking valve not a lifter to me.what are running for oil? have you considered synthetic?
when a valve sticks you'll get the "whomp,whomp,whomp sounds out the intake.
when you get a stuck lifter,you'll get a high pitched tick,tick,tick.
anyway,try draining off a quart of oil and replacing it with a quart of aft and running it for a few miles.might be all it takes to clean her up.

Sticking Valve Noise in Engine (with Pictures) | eHow
I'm running conventional Rotella 15-40. The previous owner ran conventional Delo 400 for the 293k miles he owned the truck. It's been changed every 3k miles.

I have thought about synthetic, but I'm worried about it leaking past any old seals. My truck has the typical grease coating but nothing is on the ground, and it drinks MAYBE half a quart in 3k miles. It's a 300k mile engine with good compression, so I'm afraid of messing with a good thing

I like the ATF idea, I think I'll do that when my next oil change is due.