Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Disc brake conversion question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Senior User

68fish is starting off with a positive reputation.
Disc brake conversion question

I'm going to use some 78 bumpside spindles etc. on my '70. I'm wondering if the early tie rod ends will fit in the spindles. I think I read somewhere that the disc spindles require the later drag link etc.
I'm going to convert to power steering at the same time with a Bendix unit so I was hoping to keep as much of my linkage as possible.
If I have to go with the later tie rod ends can I install them on my existing drag link?
Or do I have to mount a later steering arm on the bendix steering gear and use all dentside stuff?
I want to keep the trips under the truck to a minimum. I can dream can't I !
Old 01-07-2015, 03:16 AM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn jowilker
Do you own or have access to the whole 78 donor or just the spinals? What engine do you currently have in your 70?

You will come out miles ahead by buying a donor truck with the same engine and transmission that you currently have or want to upgrade to, and swapping the complete package to your truck.

My current 66 was born a FE 3spd on column, I bought a 76 FE C6, dropped and moved the complete I-Beam set, power steering, installed a fresh FE & C6 and saved a lot of headaches.

Stop take a deep breath, and start on a plan on how to make this happen in a single swap.

John
Old 01-07-2015, 07:18 AM
Posting Guru

instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would recommend using a Saginaw box instead of Bendix.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Posting Guru

ultraranger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ultraranger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you do run the Bendix box, it would be a good idea to install a power steering cooler. The Bendix box runs hotter than the Saginaw.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Senior User

68fish is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by instig8r63 View Post
I would recommend using a Saginaw box instead of Bendix.
I already have the bendix box and steering column ready to mount so I'm stuck with what I have. I will run a cooler on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instig8r63 View Post
Do you own or have access to the whole 78 donor or just the spinals? What engine do you currently have in your 70?
I have a 300/6 with 3 on the floor in the truck that's serving me well.
I tried to get the steering arm off the Saginaw box while I was there but I didn't have a long enough persuader to coax the nut off . That way I would have had all the steering linkage. I don't know if that arm would have fit on the Bendix box anyway. The donor truck is an hour away and I don't see me going back up that way anytime soon.
I've done the swap before on my '70 flareside with all the dentside stuff and although it was bolt off & bolt on I was never happy with the way the steering column turned out since I wanted to keep the original.
Leave it to me to find the hard way to do things.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:00 PM