Anybody tried to double tow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:21 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
The only state I know of, there may(?) be others that allows double towing WITHOUT the lead trailer being a 5th wheel is Wisconsin and then I believe you need a permit. What you describe would be foolish at best reckless/dangerous at worst. I wouldn't even attempt it and I have over 3 million miles pulling doubles out of 5+million in an 18 wheeler. The 800 you save may cost some one their life.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Most states that allow double tow will not allow a bumper pull to do it. As stated above most have to be 5w or GN with bumper back. I have seen some of what you are doing done but they looked like a little newer version of the beverly hillbillies.

Now maybe if the 1st was a PINTLE hookup like they have for the big trucks! But look at the 2 states for begin and end. Require the most PC an so you are setting yourself up for trouble IMO. Drag the MC's out 1st then take the bus or a cheap fare back to get the 2d vehicle.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I believe Idaho allows bumper pull doubles, I saw lots of campers with boats behind them there. On 20 in west Texas you see a lot of three vehicle chains with tow bars, they like to do 45-50 during peak traffic on the way to Mexico.
Doing this in western states is borderline, if it is legal. Doing this in the east, especially going into Chicago is not a good idea in the least, even if it was legal. Chicago is the only place I've been cut off while already chirping tires towing. Back when I had my F250 4x4, it was rare for people to stay in front of my once tire smoke started, but going through there with a car on a trailer, I actually had three people dive in front of me when traffic required a bit more aggressive of a stop then the tires could handle. With sketchy doubles, that would not have ended well.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:19 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Me thinks this a bad idea......

Old 01-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,600 Likes on 1,640 Posts
According to what I can see, you would only be borderline legal in Ohio and Indiana.... New Jersey and Pennsylvania= no doubles, Illinois = lead must be a 5er. And I do believe your set up would be a "Police magnet," even where legal!!
Best of luck to you!

Old 01-10-2015, 10:29 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
i think you'd find that you have too many pivot points to be stable with this configuration.

the dollies i have seen have a pivot for the front wheels of the car so you can negotiate turns.

even if they don't, you've got such a short combo in the middle that any wiggle from the TV would be amplified at the back of the dollie vehicle and transmitted to the last trailer.

i think the angle would be problematic at best, as well. I don't see having much clearance at the rear of the dollie vehicle once you get an additional 300lbs on the hitch.

i can't imagine a LEO seeing this and not stopping you. even if it is legal, you better have everything 100% right, cauz they are going to find it when they pull you over.

your best option is to get help and drive it back, or make two trips - one for each trailer.

another option would be to flat bed the escape and double tow behind the flat bed. this would be far better than trying to tow on a dollie'd vehicle. at least this way, you can pull the vehicle on the flat bed far enough ahead to compensate for the tail weight of the second trailer. a decent used car trailer can be found for about double of your dollie, and you can easily sell it when you get where you are going if you don't want it.

please don't do this ... it's trouble looking for a home.

if you do ... get pics!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:55 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
i think you'd find that you have too many pivot points to be stable with this configuration.

the dollies i have seen have a pivot for the front wheels of the car so you can negotiate turns.

even if they don't, you've got such a short combo in the middle that any wiggle from the TV would be amplified at the back of the dollie vehicle and transmitted to the last trailer.

i think the angle would be problematic at best, as well. I don't see having much clearance at the rear of the dollie vehicle once you get an additional 300lbs on the hitch.

i can't imagine a LEO seeing this and not stopping you. even if it is legal, you better have everything 100% right, cauz they are going to find it when they pull you over.

your best option is to get help and drive it back, or make two trips - one for each trailer.

another option would be to flat bed the escape and double tow behind the flat bed. this would be far better than trying to tow on a dollie'd vehicle. at least this way, you can pull the vehicle on the flat bed far enough ahead to compensate for the tail weight of the second trailer. a decent used car trailer can be found for about double of your dollie, and you can easily sell it when you get where you are going if you don't want it.

please don't do this ... it's trouble looking for a home.

if you do ... get pics!
Of what??? The flashing red/blue lights?

Old 01-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Trucker Kev
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know of any states that would specifically allow that set up. Trailers (single or multiple) must be coupled (including safety chains) to the vehicle, or trailer in front of it. In the setup you suggest, the 12' trailer would not be connected to the trailer in front of it, but rather the "load" which is your Escape. Farmers in my area used to try a similar set up until I started citing them. They would load a tractor on a trailer and leave a second trailer coupled to the tractor. No bueno. Now they disconnect the second trailer from the tractor and connect it directly to the first trailer. Hope that helps.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:54 PM
F-Liner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that this is a horrible idea. You don't have a solid mechanical connection between the tow vehicle and the cargo trailer. The tire straps on the tow dolly are not intended to enable the towed car to pull anything else. Many states also require the rear trailer to be equipped with functioning brakes.

I doubt you'll make it out of NJ without confrontation with LEO's, and rightly so.

You can read towing regulations for acceptability of towing doubles here: Towing World Official Website.

Follow Ferguson65's advice and spend the $800 to get the car shipped.

Last edited by F-Liner; 05-17-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: delete - timeliness
Old 06-10-2015, 05:10 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I also vote bad idea, the tow dolly was never designed for that.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 AM
johnreuel.grundage
New User
I don't think That is all to legal, but i asked a similar question to a CHP DOT officer, I wanted to tow my 18.5' boat behind my 22H travel trailer (Both Ball hitch) behind my '97 dodge cummins 2500. He told me i was not to exceed a certain length. doesn't matter what hitch i use, along as if i don't exceed the certain length (which escapes me).

Old 09-21-2015, 02:17 PM
pebkac
New User
I know in California you can tow a double, You must have a commercial license, 1st trailer needs to be a 5th wheel and second trailer can be attached to the rear bumper of the fifthwheel trailer, in total you can't exceed 65' (corrected to 65' from 70'- thanks r***r)

This link has some pretty good resources.
Towing World Official Website

Old 09-24-2015, 01:33 AM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pebkac
I know in California you can tow a double, You must have a commercial license, 1st trailer needs to be a 5th wheel and second trailer can be attached to the rear bumper of the fifthwheel trailer, in total you can't exceed 70'

This link has some pretty good resources.
Towing World Official Website
You have most info correct except the total length of combination cannot exceed 65'.
Even in your link Combined Length, Two Vehicle Length (tow vehicle and trailer), and Triple Towing/Towing Doubles(tow vehicle, 5er, and bumper pull trailer) shows 65'.

Reason a CDL is needed, is because of the doubles/triples endorsement on the license.

Originally Posted by johnreuel.grundage
I don't think That is all to legal, but i asked a similar question to a CHP DOT officer, I wanted to tow my 18.5' boat behind my 22H travel trailer (Both Ball hitch) behind my '97 dodge cummins 2500. He told me i was not to exceed a certain length. doesn't matter what hitch i use, along as if i don't exceed the certain length (which escapes me).
It is not legal to tow 2 bumper pull trailers in California. There needs to be a 5er in the middle of tow vehicle and bumper pull trailer.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:58 PM
pebkac
New User
Thank you for the correction r***r. Always important to be accurate.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW there is a lot of very dangerous ideas here. I know it's a old thread, but it's new to me and WOW.

Originally Posted by Ford_Six
What states? Non-CDL doubles are legal in some states, some states with restrictions, and other they are not legal.
I'm curious to hear your take on the legality of doubles behind pickups in Washington State? I've never seen it done but by my reading of the law it's legal if 4 things are adhered to.
1. The first trailer must be a 5th or gooseneck. The law doesn't specify fifth or goose but it does say the hitch must be above the axle.
2. Driver must have a CDL with a doubles endorsement. Not cause it's commercial but cause the driver must have a doubles endorsement and the way to get that is with a CDL.
3. Weights, complicated but only thing likely to be an issue is GCW on your registration, it's a tax issue.
4. Length, made this last cause it's complicated. Cause the first trailer must be 5th then the typically commercial limits apply, so 61' from front of first trailer to back of second. Not the 75' overall limit.

Quick Reply: Anybody tried to double tow?