6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Frequent Re-Gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 PM
true blue
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frequent Re-Gen

Man this truck goes into Re-Gen a lot! On average it is twice per tank use. Seems excessive, is the winter blend fuel causing this?

I drive pretty conservatively, I'm not towing right now, I use the fuel additive Ford recommends, and I buy fuel at the same place. This is killing my fuel MPG average. I am averaging ~14 to 15 with combined city and highway. I was able to average 16.5 or better with half the Re-Gens just a couple of months ago. I have little love for the EPA.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 PM
CR3999!
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is this Re- Gen you speak of? Does it have something to do with the exhaust fluid?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:00 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Regen is when the truck cleans out the Diesel Particulate Filter. The process has been around since 07 when the DPFs became required on diesels. When the filter becomes clogged with soot, the computer injects fuel into a couple of cylinders during the exhaust stroke, causing it to go into the exhaust and burn the soot, turning it into ash.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
delete the additive and see what that does.

Also are you doing just city driving/stop and go?

Maybe a nice hwy run is in order to clean it out.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:37 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
My miles between regenerations are slightly extended this time of year. Realistically by 40 miles or so. Two per tank is high if the AR's are finishing completely each time.

Low 14's is the average for my truck.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:42 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have found driving like an old man and around town causes more regens than highway driving or towing. My truck regens about once every tank of fuel and once in a while it will regen twice in one tank.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:08 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by true blue
Man this truck goes into Re-Gen a lot! On average it is twice per tank use. Seems excessive, is the winter blend fuel causing this?

I drive pretty conservatively, I'm not towing right now, I use the fuel additive Ford recommends, and I buy fuel at the same place. This is killing my fuel MPG average. I am averaging ~14 to 15 with combined city and highway. I was able to average 16.5 or better with half the Re-Gens just a couple of months ago. I have little love for the EPA.
Non-hi way, non towing, usually around once every 100 miles

Old 01-05-2015, 08:17 PM
miner999r
Tuned
don't know your driving style but i think these trucks are made to work. Every diesel I had toyota, 6.2 gm, 7.3, 6.0 & i think 6.7 needed to have bag run off it every few days if it is just commuting and not getting to full temp. Suggest once the regen starts keep driving highway speed till it's done. I always try to get some full throttle in to exercise the turbo. Remembered that from flying days of long ago, when a near bad thing happened to a couple of guys babying the engines.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:30 AM
true blue
Elder User

Originally Posted by senix
delete the additive and see what that does. Also are you doing just city driving/stop and go? Maybe a nice hwy run is in order to clean it out.
I drive both city and highway in every tank. The highway portion is 25 miles each way. The city portion is 12 miles each way. The truck always gets up to full temperature.

I have tried not using the additive and I saw a decrease in mileage (~1mpg). I tried this with >3 tanks so I have more than 1 data point.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
One item to consider is changing the EGT sensors fore and aft of the DPF. I know that sounds weird or pointless but I has worked in the past for some. The sensors were out of wack and causing the need for more regeneration.

You could take it in but ford would say no codes and everything is normal.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:40 AM
true blue
Elder User

Originally Posted by dualwheels66
I have found driving like an old man and around town causes more regens than highway driving or towing. My truck regens about once every tank of fuel and once in a while it will regen twice in one tank.
I am an old man LOL! I do drive pretty easy with the exception of moments when an idiot pulls in front of me or drives <the speed limit in the left lane and I need to buzz around.

To your credit, I once drove from Macon to one hour north of Atlanta with no regen and achieved nearly 21mpg driving 75mph with a few sections of 80mph. It shows you what the trucks can do if not for the EPA stuff. I also notice fewer regens when towing on long trips.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:43 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am an old man LOL! I do drive pretty easy with the exception of moments when an idiot pulls in front of me or drives <the speed="" limit="" in="" the="" left="" lane="" and="" i="" need="" to="" buzz="" around.=""

To your credit, I once drove from Macon to one hour north of Atlanta with no regen and achieved nearly 21mpg driving 75mph with a few sections of 80mph. It shows you what the trucks can do if not for the EPA stuff. I also notice fewer regens when towing on long trips.
(Active) regen is only required when the temp doesn't get high enough on its own.
towing decent amounts adds enough heat that you get the passive regen.
</the>

Old 01-06-2015, 06:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
This last summer I drove all the way to Colorado (1700 miles) with no regen.

No I didn't miss any.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:38 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Regens

On MPG
Winter fuel does better then summer fuel when it comes to regens. But winter fuel does have less energy then summer fuel, so expect a loss of MGP during winter.

On Regens
I found driving in traffic does a lot increase regens. If you want to keep regens down you have to drive at 70-75 on the hiway. `

My last few regens have been a little over 300 miles. What changed was the temp sensor before and after the DPF and the dealer updated the software for the transmission. I only notice the change after the update to the transmission. The update was for a ruff shift between 2 and 3.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:23 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
I drive both city and highway in every tank. The highway portion is 25 miles each way. The city portion is 12 miles each way. The truck always gets up to full temperature.

I have tried not using the additive and I saw a decrease in mileage (~1mpg). I tried this with >3 tanks so I have more than 1 data point.
I'd have to agree with losing the fuel additive and seeing what you get then.

When I first bought this truck I thought it was a huge mistake due to fuel mileage, but it's been getting better every fill. I haven't hauled/towed anything with my truck yet and I drive almost the exact commute (distance/style) as you and I've noticed that regens were happening about every 300 miles up until the tank before this one where I've been averaging about 425 miles between regens. My overall mpg average, after 3700 miles, according to the truck is 17mpg and the last two tanks I have averaged 18.6 (hand calculated).

I have been trying different driving styles to see how I can get the most economy from each tank of fuel and I tend to accelerate from a stop to the speed limit rather quick (working the turbo) and then once I hit my desired speed I set the cruise and let the truck work the throttle.

I think that with an aftermarket tuner these trucks could easily pull 20-21 mpg with all emissions intact and even more (23-24 ???) deleted. I love that I can get the same fuel economy as my old 1990 Cummins (3.07:1/3 spd trans) and have a much nicer ride, lower gear ratio, and many more creature comforts.

Quick Reply: Frequent Re-Gen