6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel maintenance advise for a sitting 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Fuel maintenance advise for a sitting 6.7

My brother-in-law passed away suddenly and unexpectedly a month ago. He worked for his family owned construction company and has a 2011 6.7 truck that now is just sitting (at least for the winter). I started it the other day and let run for a few minutes and rolled it forward and back about 30 feet or so to at least get all the fluids stirred up. I plan on taking it on a 15-20 mile drive soon to get the fluids up to temp. I'll do that once a month until his company figures out what to do with it and starts to use it.

So my question is; what should I plan on doing to stabilize the fuel? I know he always used a fuel supplement. Power Service usually and I can only assume he switched to the winter/white bottle version. The tank was nearly full when I checked it and I doubt I can drive/burn off that much anytime soon (it's a CC, LB so the biggest tank). My real concern is fuel stability/algae growth over the next couple of months. It's winter in Ohio and the truck is parked outside but we still have had some warm days. Is there any issue with using an anti-algae/fuel storage supplement with the 6.7?

I believe I'll be able to drive it enough to get the other fluids up to temp to burn off water but any other fluids I should be concerned with?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
First and foremost - I'm sorry for your loss.

Fill up the tank all the way - that will keep out condensation and put fuel treatment in it. Stanadyne in this case with anti-bacterial properties is probably the way to go. BUt there are others. I don't know what auto parts stores are around you, but advance started carrying stanadyne.

LONG term storage you might want to do something else. But a winter seasons I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've left mine for 2-3 months straight outside without starting it and it was fine. I do routinely treat my fuel though. I generally use PM-22A - now I use PM -23A (cold) and/or Power Service Arctic Formula. I do not believe any of those have anti-bacterial additives, but I am aware of a stanadyne formula that does, which is why I recommended that one.

I am sure others will chime in.

Starting it and driving it every once in awhile is a good thing too. Maybe leave your vehicle and drive his for a day or two and then switch back. Assuming that is possible. My neighbor is going through the same thing and he moved his late brother's truck to his house so he can keep it running right.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:08 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Families loss.

I agree with the suggestion you have already been given. The one thing I might add would be to check for water in the fuel a little more often, being sure draining off any that may accumulate from sitting for this period of time.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Yeah I think that is what I would do.

Also a battery tender would be a good idea if more than a few weeks.

When you drive give it a good workout.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Rich53
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
As a straight anti bacterial treatment, Biobor JF is probably the best, it is what they use in all the aircraft fuel.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 PM
watchluvr4ever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry about your loss.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 PM
miner999r
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would make sure to run it / drive so everything gets up to full operating temp. Keep full of fuel. If 4x4, engage that system for a few miles.

otherwise should be okay to sit. Good advise from posters about the battery tender. Sitting just wrecks batts. Biocide in fuel probably good advice. Haven't worried about that since jet fuel days.

My condolences for you and your family.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Thanks for all your condolences.

I got Advanced, Auto Zone, Napa and of course WalMart. I prefer Advance so I'll look there for Stanadyne. I also did a bit of googling and Power Service makes a fuel stabilizer as well so I should be able to find something local to use for a treatment.

I know he had all the service and maintenance done at the only Ford dealer in the county and I know a number of folks there so I'll check with them and see if I can get the last records.

Thanks for all your advice.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Just realized you live in a cold climate too.

One thing I keep forgetting even though I now live in cold country - if something is going to sit all winter, you may want to look into winterizing it. Not sure what that entails for a 6.7 Superduty though (if anything). I generally drive mine almost everyday up here.

A thought, that I would verify is a good idea - as I just don't know.

I am not sure how low your temps get and for how long, but Maybe hooking up a block heater with a timer wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you have cold temps, assuming that is possible. 1 hour a day will use less than 1 KWH and around here that is 15 cents.

Maybe some long term winter folks that have to store diesel equipment can chime in on that.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
I should be able to drive the truck enough to keep water burned off but having 30+ gallons of diesel to burn off is not something I'll be able to do for several months.

Keeping the fuel stable is my largest concern but it appears there are no issues using a fuel storage supplement with the 6.7 so I'll go that route. Thanks for everyone chiming in and any other advise is appreciated.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With condolences on your loss ----

Frankly, if I were you, I would see if I could find indoor storage for it.
I'd seal up the engine by corking up the exhaust and putting cellophane over the air filter.
Full fuel with Sta-Bil Diesel fuel treatment. Battery tender. Jack it up off it's tires and put on a cheap set of Harbor Freight jack stands. If you have to park it on dirt, lay down a tarp first, drive the truck up on it. Put newspapers or some other paper on the insides of all glass - that will keep the truck from turning into a science experiment when the sun is shining. It will keep like this for a verylong time - it's about the same way we protected cars and trucks in the service when guys were shipped out for a year or more. Of course we waxed the heck out of them too - but it's probably too cold for that..
Oh - and grab some BOUNCE clothes dryer softener sheets to put all around under the hood and a few in the interior. Mice hate that stuff and the inside of the truck will smell nicer...

Good luck!