6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

MY FIRST AND PROBABLY LAST FORD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:47 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Not all garages in the chain are created equal either, what part of Canada are you in? Around here crappy tire is the last place I'd take any vehicle for service.
Yup canadian tire is not the place to be taking a truck like this for anything.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
notice nothing more from the op.

Hope he chimes in with some good news.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Got to this thread late, but I think the coolant compatibility is a red herring. There are a lot of things that can cause limp mode and a wrench light, and if it were a problem with the cooling system you would probably be overheating the engine. That would be readily apparent on the instrument cluster.

I think something else is wrong here that has nothing to do with the service he got from Canadian Tire. Hope he posts back to let us know.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:09 AM
ryanbodden2014
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well took the truck back they drained the coolant and put the ford gold stuff in from the dealer. went back out on the road and it was better, but happened again. Seems i can drive long distance now fine but while im towing a load, it triggers the code to come on now. I found a ford dealer that was kind enough to come out and scan my truck for me while it was in limp mode and he said it showed a code p00b7 - coolant flow. i read online about the thermostats needing to be replaced - im wondering if it is as simple as air in the system maybe from when they did the flush?

Old 01-20-2015, 12:25 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Probably hyper extended thermostats.

there are two. Not too difficult to change them.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:35 PM
ssharber
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaw-Liga
-First if the wrong coolant was used, just bear in mind that it's not the truck's fault- it's the technician filling it who was responsible, and eventually the problem falls at the feet of the business employing him. Diesel engines are expensive to do repairs on (primarily due to the long labor hours required to disassemble enough of the truck in order for the technician to get at the part(s) to be replaced) and the 6.4 liter Fords diesel engines are especially difficult to work around.

If the shop filled it with the wrong coolant fluid (orange vs. gold) then you ought to return to the shop and discuss the situation with them. Ask them to cover the labor cost on doing the flush and changing the parts Senix mentioned and then you'll pay the cost difference between the orange and gold fluids.

It kind of sounds like this is a shop you've dealt with before, so it'd be in there best interest to keep you as a customer. If they refuse to service it, take it to another shop and see if your auto insurance company cannot help you out with the cost- depending on your coverage (remind them that the vehicle is new to you, and you were just doing your due diligence of ensuring the vehicle's fluids were fresh and full).

Once you have it sorted out (i.e. if the flush with the gold coolant makes the truck spring back to life) if the original shop stepped up and made things right, then hooray- you know the shop is more interested in keeping your truck up and running and you happy than charging you to fix their messes.
If the shop refused to make things right and you had to take it to another shop, then you need to try filing a complaint with the owner (or if it is a chain- file a complaint with the company headquarters) and if the owner refuses to do anything about it, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (be sure to report the costs involved in correcting their mistake).

With that said, remember to be as calm and reasonable as possible with everyone you have to deal with while trying to fix this issue. I know it goes without saying, but if you don't give the shop owner- or anyone else- a reason to turn you away for being rude/disruptive, then it's that much harder for them to defend their actions to their company HQ, your insurance representatives, the BBB, or your attorney.

These newer diesel engines (with the DPF/EGR systems) require strict servicing standards (much more so than the older engines). The 6.0 and 6.4 liter diesels made by Ford are very good engines when maintained properly, so don't let a disreputable shop keep you from being able to enjoy your new purchase. Take some time to read up on the forums here and you will quickly come to find the issues common to the 6.4 liter platform and what you can do to prevent your truck from suffering those problems. Also if you take the time to edit your signature in your control panel, you can put the details about your truck in there- which will help others more quickly identify how to assist you.

Good luck with getting your truck up and running; it'd be a shame for you to not get to enjoy it.

-Kaw-Liga.
Excellent advice and very god information for anyone who has an issue like this.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:24 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Its your scanner, theres a code you just cant read it. Wrench light dtcs are not on the obd emissions mandate to be shared.