1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Theft protection/detterants

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:46 AM
My1964ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theft protection/detterants

What's some good ways to keep theifs from touching your truck?

Old 01-03-2015, 01:12 AM
Faber
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer a .40 cal glock. At some point maybe an alarm. My company uses gps, I think maybe $30 month....but im sure they have insurance/bulk discount. Apparently they can get stand alone ones that arent battery dependent.

Edit: theres also the fact that most people probably flat dont know how to start or drive a 3-on the tree with manuel choke....lol. At least most people that would actually consider stealing an old truck.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:30 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Take the coil wire with you, this would stop most casual thieves. Maybe.

One guy over at the H.A.M.B. did one better, he installed up a short piece of rubber hose in place of the coil wire as a kind of camouflage. Except, he forgot about it. Said it started right up. I agree, a three on the tree will stop most, but not the type that wants to hotwire an old beater.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:27 AM
TBird Larry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My neighbor down the street uses his Pitt Bull, that seems to work!

I have a security system called "Browning, Ruger & Winchester" and I prefer the 12 gauge but when it's parked at the grocery store that doesn't work very well.

For my T-Bird I have a newer style fuse hidden under the hood that goes to my electric fuel pump in the rear by the tank. I also have a hidden on/off switch under the dash that turns on the fuel pump. With two deterrents it would take a thief to long to troubleshoot why it won't start. "Gee Wiz, I saw the guy drive it in here, must be out of gas or something." By that time you're out of the store and hopefully you can catch the crumb bum as he is walking away from the car and you can run him down with your shopping cart and sit on his butt until the cops come to haul him away.....

Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by My1964ford
What's some good ways to keep theifs from touching your truck?
That is the $65,000.00 question. If only they gave advance notice that they were dropping in on you, alarms could be set, angry dogs could be placed near by, guns could be loaded with extra rounds.

But the grand kids or neighbors kids were coming over, so you turned the alarm off, fed the dog and put him away, oh and of course put all the guns away for their safety.

Good question.

John

Old 01-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't make it easy for them. I park in well lighted areas, I stay away from areas that have high property crime, and I always lock my vehicles.

At home I have to park my 65 Mustang next to the garage. At night the wife parks her car behind it so it cant be towed or driven out.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Shadowrider123
Don't make it easy for them. I park in well lighted areas ...
Doesn't that make it easier for them?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:16 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My thought: Install a padlock on the hood's safety catch. Drill a hole through the bottom of the latch and run a padlock through it. This has 2 advantages, to keep thieves out of the engine compartment, and prevent a hood fly-up disaster.

John - Banjo -

Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by banjopicker66
My thought: Install a padlock on the hood's safety catch. Drill a hole through the bottom of the latch and run a padlock through it. This has 2 advantages, to keep thieves out of the engine compartment, and prevent a hood fly-up disaster.

John - Banjo -
Done it; although, need to use a relatively small lock and removing the lock can be a pain in the backside, tight fit if one has large hands.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:01 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies!!

The padlock seems like a good idea but would it be visible?

Also I think a 9mm would be excellent protection but that's a little to much temtation when some idiot with a shopping cart bumps your slick and your contemplating if the punishment for committing a felony is really that bad haha

Old 01-03-2015, 12:10 PM
johnmel59
Senior User
Seems like a good idea. Can you post a picture of this?

Originally Posted by banjopicker66

John - Banjo -

Old 01-03-2015, 01:03 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Goes w/out saying the lock is removed, close the hood then reach thru the grille to install the lock.

[/COLOR]

Old 01-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Looks easy enough, and keep casual thieves at bay. Do you think the weight of the lock might prevent positive engagement of the safety hook into the pocket? It may not matter, because the lock itself would prevent the hood from flipping up at speed as it would be too large to slip past the slot.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:59 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
The lock is installed after the hood is set and locked into the latch assembly. It's similar to a double latch system, once the hood latch has been released, if the safety latch is adjusted correctly, the hood can not be lifted until the safety latch is released.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by daveengelson
The lock is installed after the hood is set and locked into the latch assembly.
Yeah, I get that, it goes without saying. But, when the latch fails for whatever reason, then the safety hook has to hit that pocket just so, and on time. Just wondering if the extra weight may slow it down.

Like I said It shouldn't matter anyway, because a standard padlock wouldn't even get past the slot. This is just my "belt and suspenders" approach. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Theft protection/detterants