6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

None too happy with Ford/ESP right now

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
I think you're right on that one. Heck, I'm fairly certain that Ford doesn't warranty SVT vehicles like the Shelby GT500.
Sure they do, they are covered under the same warranty every other Ford product gets. They deny any claims they determine to be as a result of abuse just like anything else. Racing is considered abuse.

I remember some talk a few years ago about Mitsubishi voiding the warranty of cars they were able to prove were raced. There was some speculation that there were people spotting their Evolution cars at drag strips and weeks later being sent notices that their powertrain warranty was voided. Just like the SVTs, the cars were sold with a warranty that was subsequently voided when they were raced.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
There are cameras every where now days eh Tom

Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Sure they do, they are covered under the same warranty every other Ford product gets. They deny any claims they determine to be as a result of abuse just like anything else. Racing is considered abuse.

I remember some talk a few years ago about Mitsubishi voiding the warranty of cars they were able to prove were raced. There was some speculation that there were people spotting their Evolution cars at drag strips and weeks later being sent notices that their powertrain warranty was voided. Just like the SVTs, the cars were sold with a warranty that was subsequently voided when they were raced.
Nissan GTR's and BMW M3's fitted with factory launch control log each time it is used in the engine control module. If you use it more than 6 times while the vehicle is under warranty, your powertrain warranty is kissed good-bye...

A number of early GTR's fractured the gear teeth in the transmission using launch control, and had to stump up the 20k trans replacement cost themselves...

Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

Or when someone brought their truck into the shop asking why his SVT Raptor frame was bent.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:44 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
Gerry- I would, but my wife's out driving it, ror. She might have missed it more than me.....not!

Jh- geico filed it under the "collision" section of my policy, using the catchword "pothole". The initial adjuster did balk upon seeing all the clearly mechanical failure items (which would have left me over a serious barrel, financially responsible for the entire bill) but I was able to meet with his supervisor who was able to....how should I phrase it.....play in the grey areas? And we essentially "agreed" that the suspension failure was a result of some egregious impact with an aforementioned "pothole"......

Very stand up of them, I gotta say. All I'm responsible for is my $250 deductible. I advised them from the get-go to seek reimbursement from ESP, but I don't know if they are.

Bruce- I had briefly updated the one page- I was out working the truck, lol, too many tasks that were put off.
I just stumbled across this thread. Wow that sucks about the esp i have bought a few similar plans in the past (never with ford)and had good dealings. You got lucky with the insurance i have seen many times at work where ins. Would cover the damage but not the cause. Recently we had a newer mazda in that the Wheel feel off. Ins. Covered all the body work and mechanicals but not the Wheel,lugnuts,or studs. So not only did the customer have a deductible but also had to cover an $800 wheel plus lugnuts, studs and labor. They did right by you that's for sure. I did not see if it was mentioned but about how many miles were on the truck? Just as a reference for guys with the same model to check the ball joints. Mine were today at 173k or so and to drive the trick you almost could not tell. I jacked it up doing other maintenance and decided to check for play. What i found shocked the crap out of me. There was enough play that I parked the truck and ordered parts. Tires were not wearing funny or anything. But both wheel bearings and all ball joints were shot.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
You're the second poster just in this thread alone, myself being the third, that have reported problems with their 11+ SD ball joints wearing out. It's shockingly so apparently prevalent an issue that some nice guy on Youtube recorded an entire walk-through on replacing the ball joints on a new 6.7......I woulda never thought I'd find that.....

So, I mean, yeah, it's a small sampling size, but that could be looked at both ways: sure there are thousands of 6.7's out there we don't know about, that could or could not have any ball joint issues, but of the, what, 2-3 dozen posters in this thread alone, we know of 3 having problems?

Either way regardless, Ford shouldn't have d!cked me over like they did. We had a contract written in plain English that covered me for those component failures.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:27 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're the second poster just in this thread alone, myself being the third, that have reported problems with their 11+ SD ball joints wearing out. It's shockingly so apparently prevalent an issue that some nice guy on Youtube recorded an entire walk-through on replacing the ball joints on a new 6.7......I woulda never thought I'd find that.....

So, I mean, yeah, it's a small sampling size, but that could be looked at both ways: sure there are thousands of 6.7's out there we don't know about, that could or could not have any ball joint issues, but of the, what, 2-3 dozen posters in this thread alone, we know of 3 having problems?

Either way regardless, Ford shouldn't have d!cked me over like they did. We had a contract written in plan English that covered me for those component failures.
While this is definitely an apples to oranges comparison, and not really relevant to your situation, my last company truck ('08 F150 4x2) needed ball joints and wheel bearings @50K miles, I mean they were in bad shape. I am the only person to ever drive the truck, actually picked it up at the dealership and was never in any extreme off road situation, other than a few rig locations and a dirt road here and there, stayed on the highway mostly. It sounded like I was running "Super Swampers" on it before having both sides replaced.
All of my Dad's farm trucks (all F250/ 350's) from late '70's model to a 1994 had issues with front wheel bearings / ball joints. Which to be honest, those trucks caught he!!.
I guess you can get good or bad on any brand truck, I've just had more front end issues with Ford products.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:42 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
That's still a tilted sampling. It's representative of 6.7 owners who went to an online forum likely looking for answers to problems, rather than a random sampling of 6.7 owners in general.

It's like sampling the waiting room at an oncologist and asking them how many have had cancer. Of course the majority are going to say yes. It's still not a representation of the population in general.

That's not to say I disagree with you about the way Ford handled your case. I think you were wronged.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:30 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Either way regardless, Ford shouldn't have d!cked me over like they did. We had a contract written in plain English that covered me for those component failures.
Agreed that they shouldn't have screwed you like they did. The issue for me is more how it failed, balljoints should slowly wear out, and should be noticable by increased "slack" in the steering, not just catastrophically fail.

I mean, if you want to be as much a dick about it as Ford was, contact the NHTSA with your case. They will care. If you have other examples of vehicles that have also done it, they will care more.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:49 AM
txazguy
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the link to what my credit union offers....looking for input. Currently have Ford ESP 72mo/100k mi. purchased for $2989.

Brochure:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...BCComboBro.pdf

Deductibles:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4jnv5ympi...ge002.png?dl=0

Old 02-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by txazguy
Here's the link to what my credit union offers....looking for input. Currently have Ford ESP 72mo/100k mi. purchased for $2989.

Brochure:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...BCComboBro.pdf

Deductibles:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4jnv5ympi...ge002.png?dl=0
I had an aftermarket warranty on my Excursion when I bought it, and some of the language looks similar. I wouldn't consider anything but a Ford ESP for a truck this new.

Originally Posted by National Auto Care Corp
PLEASE NOTE: ADMINISTRATOR MAY REQUIRE THE
USE OF REMANUFACTURED OR USED REPLACEMENT
PARTS FOR REPAIRS COVERED UNDER YOUR
VEHICLE SERVICE AGREEMENT.
Used parts, no thanks. I remember when I got a manifold replaced under my aftermarket warranty they would only pay for an aftermarket part, so I had to come out of pocket $500 to get it done at the Ford dealer. Mine was through GWC, and they didn't cover seals or gaskets unless replacement was required as part of another covered repair.

I wouldn't consider an aftermarket warranty on a new truck.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I wouldn't consider an aftermarket warranty on a new truck.[/QUOTE]

Piggy back off of this. When I had a radiator hose leak for my 6.4 I have GEICO MBI.

They wanted to use aftermarket radiator hose. There are none so OEM it was.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Not to de-rail this thread much more, but to add onto the points mentioned above, and I've said before, when comparing Geico MBI or a credit union offering- it appears both non-Ford coverages expire at 100k miles. My Ford ESP "coverage" (quoted for subjectiveness ) is for 136k mi or sometime in 2017, I forget.....

Old 02-05-2015, 07:55 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

Seems like Ford might be sending mixed signals. Why advertise something that will void owners warranties?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, just to make sure I understand all of this:

You were just driving along in a flat field when all of a sudden your ball joints "failed" in such a way that it caused "catastrophic suspension, drivetrain (front axle), and body damage."

That doesn't sound like warranty work. That sounds like you need to call your insurance company and report a single-vehicle event due to hidden obstructions, jumping the truck, a surprise hole, and/or driving way too fast before hitting whatever it was that blew up your truck.

Can we get an honest story of what actually happened and what constitutes "failure" of a ball joint? Did you hit something so hard they sheared or something?

It's very understandable how Ford might react when some dude brings a wrecked truck and wants them to fix it because he thinks maybe when he was out mudding the ball joints should've held up better.

Quick Reply: None too happy with Ford/ESP right now