6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

None too happy with Ford/ESP right now

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn Chuck, I just stumbled across this thread, I had seen earlier on the "one page".. you had some issues, etc...I didn't realize the extent that they shoved the sausage to you...
Seriously considering canceling my extended warranty....South Mississippi, like South Louisiana, has some pretty bad roads and us Rednecks and Coon-A$$es use our trucks as well, trucks. What a novel concept.....
Anyway, I know I'm screwed, I lifted mine on top of everything else. Thinking about throwing caution (and a measure of common sense) to the wind and deleting it too!

Old 01-24-2015, 07:10 PM
jh225
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
Jh- geico filed it under the "collision" section of my policy, using the catchword "pothole". The initial adjuster did balk upon seeing all the clearly mechanical failure items (which would have left me over a serious barrel, financially responsible for the entire bill) but I was able to meet with his supervisor who was able to....how should I phrase it.....play in the grey areas? And we essentially "agreed" that the suspension failure was a result of some egregious impact with an aforementioned "pothole"......

Very stand up of them, I gotta say. All I'm responsible for is my $250 deductible. I advised them from the get-go to seek reimbursement from ESP, but I don't know if they are.

Agree that Geico stood up for you, but since this was filed under the collision part of your policy, won't that give them a green light to raise your rates come renewal time? I hope they don't, but I don't trust insurance companies for a second.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:17 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jh225
Agree that Geico stood up for you, but since this was filed under the collision part of your policy, won't that give them a green light to raise your rates come renewal time? I hope they don't, but I don't trust insurance companies for a second.
You got that right! They're a necessary evil for sure.....same league as lawyers IMHO....

Old 01-24-2015, 07:55 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Jh- while that's a possibility, I'm filing it under "slim". I've been with them for almost 20 years now and have the accident forgiveness as well as every other safe driver and multi-car discount they offer. Even if they were to raise my rates a little, it would take another couple decades to offset the $5,000+ this bill was I would've had to pay out of pocket, assuming I stayed with them for that long afterwards ;-)

Mitch- I get what you're saying, but not all lawyers are bad....I'll have to save that story tho for a time we're sipping cold ones around a fire

Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
Jh- while that's a possibility, I'm filing it under "slim". I've been with them for almost 20 years now and have the accident forgiveness as well as every other safe driver and multi-car discount they offer. Even if they were to raise my rates a little, it would take another couple decades to offset the $5,000+ this bill was I would've had to pay out of pocket, assuming I stayed with them for that long afterwards ;-)

Mitch- I get what you're saying, but not all lawyers are bad....I'll have to save that story tho for a time we're sipping cold ones around a fire
I'm sure there has to be one or two that are okay.....just basing my opinion on my experience. I've never had to retain one personally, so my observations are a bit "jaded" to say the least!

Old 01-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Wow...just....wow...

So basically a warranty means no warranty.

Well, at least this thread (and a few others), have made that painfully obvious.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 PM
dmags
Senior User
Sorry to hear about your situation.
It makes me think twice about hanging a plow off the front of my F350
I suppose if I do and a snowflake damages a component I am SOL
I just heard one of those built ford tough commercials and it made me think of this thread.
I wonder If they will try to dance when you ask for your money back.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerdude
Wow...just....wow...

So basically a warranty means no warranty.

I can't 100% confidently state that, frankly. I was led to believe that if my truck had been clean enough to eat off of, there wouldn't have been any grounds for rejection. I had no idea Ford's ESP division was so ignorant of what these trucks are, what they're capable of, and what they're advertised as to be sold and used for, or I would have invested more effort in cleaning it off. Some keyboard jockey sitting who knows how many states away should have been focused on the primary components that failed, and were clearly covered, not speculating and grasping at straws to find some mud that gave them "evidence" that "abuse and/or neglect" was to blame.

Originally Posted by dmags
Sorry to hear about your situation.
It makes me think twice about hanging a plow off the front of my F350
I suppose if I do and a snowflake damages a component I am SOL
I just heard one of those built ford tough commercials and it made me think of this thread.
I wonder If they will try to dance when you ask for your money back.

D- I don't think I'll get anything further from Ford. They obviously don't care about me and our contract. I did discover that the department Crystal and others like her work in, don't really have any involvement in other departments within Ford, which was maybe a little surprising and disappointing to discover. I felt certain that if I could just get someone with a head on their shoulders involved in this situation, it'd be resolved about as easily as snapping their fingers. Unfortunately, the ESP section operates with autonomy, and the consumer's only recourse is "non-binding legal arbitration with the BBB"......where's my air jerkoff smiley..... fine print I didn't read before I signed, should have, it's a blazing blinking neon sign that basically states "YOU have to pay US, but WE don't have to fix YOUR truck"

And in all honesty, there's not much they can do for me at this point. I mean, a couple hundred bucks? woopee. I was without my truck for a MONTH, could've been avoided, but I won't get that time back... Best to just move on.

I might bump this thread every now and then just to try and educate any "fresh faces", but I suppose it's about run its course.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,149 Likes on 1,686 Posts
Good of you to educate the fans Chuck......... cheers

Old 01-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad you got some coverage for it. This was a good read and educational.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 PM
txazguy
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So with all that's being said.... I currently have ESP on my '15 SD, and had it on my '13 EcoBoost. Never needed it except for a rental while it was in for some kind of service.

My credit union offers plans... has anyone gone with coverage outside of ESP and been happy? I'll upload a brochure or link if possible. I'd imagine that their plans would be top notch since they have a vested interest in said asset.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I think everyone should try and keep this in perspective. This is the first ESP denial of what appears to be a manufacturing defect I've ever heard. The ONLY other cases I've seen where coverage was denied were due to alleged contaminated fuel.

I've also never heard of a case of a denial of coverage being reversed. What the original dealer sends up to Ford seems to be treated as gospel. I've seen lots of folks try taking trucks to other dealers and submitting all manner of additional information and get nowhere.

Seems to me like Chuck has a lousy dealer intent on making money instead of taking care of the customer. The mud on the truck gave them the excuse to accuse him of abuse, and it stuck. Which sucks, but that doesn't mean that this is a common occurrence by any means.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Chuck, thanks for sharing your story.
Food for thought !

Old 01-29-2015, 10:07 PM
strokin83
Senior User
I guess Ford just doesn't like to warranty ball joints. I dropped my truck off at the dealer last week to get both radiators replaced due to leaks. The service writer calls me later on and says I have play in all my ball joints. He says they are covered under warranty and all is well. Truck has 57,000 mi on it by the way. Yesterday he calls me and tells me that Ford won't cover the ball joints due to the aftermarket coil springs I installed......err edit the dealership installed them. I informed him that yes they were aftermarket but They have the same height and weight capacity as the factory snow plow springs and the only reason I replaced them was that my truck had the standard lower capacity front springs and I was bottoming out while loaded. Apparently that doesn't matter, Those all but identical coil springs ruined my ball joints. And I'm running stock sized tires as well......

In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal I have the ability to replace them myself for about $250 but the blatant disregard for the customer, lack of common sense and the "easy out" mentality with their warranty program just chaps my @ss. I run a small business that depends on my integrity, honesty, and understanding from the customer's perspective. Maybe this is why it's so shocking to me. If I treated my customers like that I'd be out of business in no time. But hey you win some you lose some I guess.

I've ran two 6.7's a total of 120,000 miles and had some warranty work done on both. This is the first time I've ran into a snag. But next time something like this happens will be the last. I buy a new truck every 2 years and I'm due for a new one at the end of this year. I just wonder what the magic formula is in which they calculate denying warranty for petty reasons and are comfortable with losing that customer for life to save them on warranty claims. I've seen the same thing happen in the Cummins world but GM seems more willing to pay out on warranty from what I've read.

Now don't get me wrong. I've personally owned 5 Ford Diesels and grew up with 4 more on the farm. I love the trucks, they lack nothing in performance or usability and I'm as big of fanboy as the next guy. I feel like I did my part when I forked out the extra money for the extended bumper to bumper and they didn't do their part by denying me a legitimate repair. At the end of the day I run a business and if I have to drive a Chev or GMC to not worry about this and save money I'll do it even if I like the Fords better. Anyways Rant over I hope this lengthy in the moment post helps someone. My advice is to keep it stock, even on the small things. I'm thinking about taking it back tomorrow and having Motocraft brand air put in my tires just save the heartache down the road if I blow a tire. lol

Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

Seems to me like Chuck has a lousy dealer intent on making money instead of taking care of the customer. The mud on the truck gave them the excuse to accuse him of abuse, and it stuck. Which sucks, but that doesn't mean that this is a common occurrence by any means.
I'd be willing to wager this is what happened. Customer rates are higher than warranty rates for the dealership. It's in their interest to have the warranty denied. That's not to absolve Ford of not doing an adequate job of addressing concerns when a dealership unfairly denies a claim.

Quick Reply: None too happy with Ford/ESP right now