Sponsored by: DP Tuner

911! front end out of wack

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:39 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
hammer...dig'n the murder look . The quarterpanels, them mcNeil racing fenders or you just stretched the inner support arms to give the "pre-run" look? me like.
Thanks but I'm not done... still need some winches - Dimon plate -author led bar rear facing. Some ground effects. Then she be close.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:43 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
I got the radius arm done! I'll upload pics. - it was cracked and split halfway down...... In all it took about 2 hours or so to remove and install the new arm.
Absolutely amazing it was this messed up!
Everything seems back to normal!
I really appreciate you guys!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Like to see the pictures. Don't it have to be alined?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Cracked? Sounds like you got off the road just in time.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:20 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Cracked? Sounds like you got off the road just in time.

Here the pic.... I'm gonna get her realined asap. Differently driving much better!

Old 01-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Jeezus... you were on a timer from the moment you acquired the truck. It was going to fail no matter what you did - but you caught it without injury.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:31 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Jeezus... you were on a timer from the moment you acquired the truck.
It was bent when he hit whatever he hit. We've seen it before here at FTE.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by F350-6
It was bent when he hit whatever he hit. We've seen it before here at FTE.
I was looking at that split - it doesn't look fresh.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:57 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
I've never used a spring compressor on mine. The design of the front suspension allows you to just use a jack. The keeper for the top of the spring is just a little bolt with a 10mm head. The suspension holds it all in place up top. There's a single bolt in the bottom clamping it down. It's nothing like those springs with front struts.

Just be sure to remove one end of the shock or it will keep the spring from coming out. Jack up the suspension and put a jack stand under the frame. Remove a shock bolt and the little keeper on the top of the spring and then just let the suspension lower. The bolt will hold the spring in place and there won't be any bounce or jump from tension as it comes apart.

I'd plan on getting new bushings for the radius arm and front I beam for your replacement. You'll need a press to get the bushing out of, or into the radius arm. Don't use energy suspension bushings. They're way too noisy. (learned that the hard way).
I had a 65 F250, first year of the I Beam, and it was almost exactly the same. Remove a hook from the top of each beam, then the front shocks, lift the chassis and watch the springs fall out. Great designs don't change much. I assumed the early forged radius beams went to stamped steel in the 70s due to cost, but this example also shows it limits the damage that can be caused with that kind of impact. Nice to have that one beam bend instead of the frame.

I think the split is just dirty so it looks old. That tapered edge you see at the break is normal for tensile failure of steel. As it pulls apart it will stretch and reduce in area before it lets go. At least good steel does. So that's not a shear crack that opened up, it's a single tensile event, failing the way it is designed to fail.

By day I work in the lab of a steel foundry, we test our material like this all the time.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:15 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Yea differently did it when I hit that pipe.... The truck never had a issue driving whise until this..... Tugly I believe it is just dirty.... The property out there is nothing more then one big mud hole..... I probably drove 2 or 3 miles around the property after this event happen..... on the way home the wheel wobble of death happened and I parked the truck.... The wobble was a scary thing....... never experienced that before. I appreciate everyone's help.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
I had a 65 F250, first year of the I Beam, and it was almost exactly the same. Remove a hook from the top of each beam, then the front shocks, lift the chassis and watch the springs fall out. Great designs don't change much. I assumed the early forged radius beams went to stamped steel in the 70s due to cost, but this example also shows it limits the damage that can be caused with that kind of impact. Nice to have that one beam bend instead of the frame.
You're correct about it being stamped steel, but they're tough enough. It takes just the right kind of hit to damage them like this.

I've hit a few bumps along the way in my truck. I haven't bent a radius arm, but I did knock a wheel out of round. (fun trying to figure that one out since my centramatics were able to compensate and keep it from having any noticeable vibration)

Old 01-11-2015, 10:24 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
You're correct about it being stamped steel, but they're tough enough. It takes just the right kind of hit to damage them like this.

I've hit a few bumps along the way in my truck. I haven't bent a radius arm, but I did knock a wheel out of round. (fun trying to figure that one out since my centramatics were able to compensate and keep it from having any noticeable vibration)
I literally caught the pipe with the head of the bolt for the radius arm a day shock...... what makes me mad is - less then a 1/2 inch and I would have clear it! I'll be adding more air to the tires lol jkin

Old 01-12-2015, 10:16 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350

I think the split is just dirty so it looks old. That tapered edge you see at the break is normal for tensile failure of steel. As it pulls apart it will stretch and reduce in area before it lets go. At least good steel does. So that's not a shear crack that opened up, it's a single tensile event, failing the way it is designed to fail.

By day I work in the lab of a steel foundry, we test our material like this all the time.
You have made some very good points and as you know from your business there is more to steel then one might think. I have friends that work in the steel ( Gary, IN.) & collision industries and we sometimes talk about different types of steels and alloys over a few beers. The latest fav is boron alloys so you might find this interesting.
Working with Boron Steel - BodyShop Business
I use to work in the collision industry and had taken many classes on how they design parts on cars/ trucks to absorb the energy from impact. There is alot more put into the design of things then one might think. One of the semimars was on frame repair of Ford trucks back about '98 or '99 and Ford had said due to the design of the frame and the type of steel they used that when repairing a frame that you were NOT to use more then 600* or was it 900* of heat when straightening a frame. Because it would fatigue the steel and cause the frame to not absorb the energy the way it was designed. If these parts and frames didn't absorb energy more people would get hurt and the airbags would go off too early. Mind you Ford truck frames back then were NOT boron but they may be on the newer ones but I have no idea?/
Originally Posted by f350hammer
Yea differently did it when I hit that pipe.... The truck never had a issue driving whise until this..... Tugly I believe it is just dirty.... The property out there is nothing more then one big mud hole..... I probably drove 2 or 3 miles around the property after this event happen..... on the way home the wheel wobble of death happened and I parked the truck.... The wobble was a scary thing....... never experienced that before. I appreciate everyone's help.
I'm sure you had the white knuckle "Death Wobble !" with that much negative caster. Kinda like a shopping cart with a bad wheel !!! LOL

Originally Posted by f350hammer
I literally caught the pipe with the head of the bolt for the radius arm a day shock...... what makes me mad is - less then a 1/2 inch and I would have clear it! I'll be adding more air to the tires lol jkin
Glad you had no problems replacing the radius arm. But good thing you didn't center up on that pipe and you bottom out on your oil pan. Considering all it could have been way worse.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:54 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Glad you had no problems replacing the radius arm. But good thing you didn't center up on that pipe and you bottom out on your oil pan. Considering all it could have been way worse.
Actually, he would have been better off centering up on it. Higher clearance in the middle, plus the cross member where the center of the twin beam front mounts would have sheilded the oil pan.

If he's still got the front critter catcher, aka honda bar, that would have protected things in the center too.