1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Help 92 Ranger getting ruined by rain leaks pass. side

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:50 PM
1998Ranger25L153CID
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I don't think my heater core is causing my damp passenger side floor. Eventhough I notice my coolant resevoir tank going down every couple days. I need to do a pressure test because I don't see any apparent leaks. Hopefully not coming through the valves. I even took off the inspection door for the heater core and drove around with it and see no water at all coming from it. I've had bad luck with water leaking into cars. First off this one was leaking behind the back window where the silicone was coming apart, then the roof drip rail molding urethane was cracked, now I got this damp passenger floor still to figure out. I know my windshield is cracked but I'm still waiting to replace it. I looked under the carpet and its perfect, no plugs missing or anything and at least there is not even a hint of rust. This floor pan definitely looks like it was protected a lot better from the factory than my 65 Plymouth. It's getting flooded too inside the cab but we put a new windshield and gasket in it. I'm thinking it's the drip rail urethane too, it's all cracked. Then I've got an 86 Plymouth that's flooding the same way when it rains, once again it appears to be the drip rail urethane. Is there a gasket or seal on my 92 Ranger windshield that I need to buy in advance before getting the windshield company to install a new windshield?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:25 AM
seebeexee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1998Ranger25L153CID
Well I don't think my heater core is causing my damp passenger side floor. Eventhough I notice my coolant resevoir tank going down every couple days. I need to do a pressure test because I don't see any apparent leaks. Hopefully not coming through the valves. I even took off the inspection door for the heater core and drove around with it and see no water at all coming from it. I've had bad luck with water leaking into cars. First off this one was leaking behind the back window where the silicone was coming apart, then the roof drip rail molding urethane was cracked, now I got this damp passenger floor still to figure out. I know my windshield is cracked but I'm still waiting to replace it. I looked under the carpet and its perfect, no plugs missing or anything and at least there is not even a hint of rust. This floor pan definitely looks like it was protected a lot better from the factory than my 65 Plymouth. It's getting flooded too inside the cab but we put a new windshield and gasket in it. I'm thinking it's the drip rail urethane too, it's all cracked. Then I've got an 86 Plymouth that's flooding the same way when it rains, once again it appears to be the drip rail urethane. Is there a gasket or seal on my 92 Ranger windshield that I need to buy in advance before getting the windshield company to install a new windshield?

How old are your heater and radiator hoses (and how tight are their clamps)? If you're not noticing any leaks or any white tailpipe smoke from antifreeze entering the cylinders, then it's likely that you're losing the antifreeze through the junctions in the hoses due to evaporation. This is especially true in the winter when the heater is being used. I had the exact same problem in one of my other cars. I replaced the radiator hoses and tightened the rest of the heater hose clamps and that solved my disappearing antifreeze problem.

I don't think there is supposed to be a gasket for the windshield aside from the urethane. I had my windshield replaced on Friday and no gasket was used. I asked the guy about it because it was mentioned in the quote, and he said that they always say that because it's always included with a new windshield when applicable.

The windshield install only took the guy 25 minutes due to the easy removal. He removed the black outer trim and then gave the slight bump on the inside passenger side of the windshield, and the entire passenger half of the windshield became immediately separated from the remains of the urethane seal. He said it came loose WAY too easy and that it isn't safe to be that loose, especially if it's leaking water. The left side was much more difficult for him to remove, and he ended up braking the left side in 2 spots trying to get it out due the better seal on that side.

I left my truck inside at my work for the weekend so that the urethane seal would setup and cure properly, and so that the carpet could dry out. I can test the rest of the possible leak points this week to see if the truck is all sealed now.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:55 AM
seebeexee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, after two days of rain, my passenger carpet is still completely dry and the truck appears to be leak-free. Apparently my only leak was the poor windshield seal. It was just a coincidence that it happened to be on the passenger side just like the other common leaks.