1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Well this happened today......

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:23 PM
landers0440
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this happened today......

So I got this 65 Custom Cab to do a cheaper resto on and teach myself a thing or two. Anyways I decided to take her out for a little test drive today after changing the plugs and wires. The hood was for sure latched but I hit a bump in the road and the sucker flew up. Now I need a new hood, hinges and latch. Problem is in my area there hard to find in good shape. Does anyone make "new" hood? I checked LMC and Dennis Carpenter but had no luck on the hood itself. Also will any 61-66 hood work? It also put a ding in the cowl area where the drivers side hinge bolts in at so now I gotta figure out what I'm going to do to pull that sucker out also.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:19 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am so sorry for you.
'61 - '64 trucks have the "F-100" or "F-250" emblem on the side of the hood.
'65 and '66 trucks have the emblem on the fender, so you will want to fill in the holes.
They should all interchange, though.
Considering the scarcity of hoods, it might be worth it to be looked at by a good body shop.
Best of luck.

John - Banjo

Old 01-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
That sucks. Not a good way to start the new year.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Faber
Elder User
Bummer.....i noticed my 64 popping up a few times....but the other safety catch would stop it from coming back. Im really gonna have to look at mine. Glad you posted something....thank you.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:25 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I just found a hood a couple of months ago. I travel to different states so I am constantly on Craigslist. It took six months of searching near by various states. I hope u get lucky. Chevys are all over the place. One thing about hoods they are the hardest to get straight. Require a bunch of work.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 01-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Man that does suck but keep your head up! I know a couple of old timers who rigged chains and masterlocks as a safeguard against that and sticky fingers..

Old 01-01-2015, 10:40 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I almost forgot to tell u. Try Car-Part.com It will search nearby cities and junkyards maybe get a decent deal. Good luck

Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 AM
wwhite
Cargo Master
Received 363 Likes on 295 Posts
This is a common problem. My trucks previous owner had this happen. Not sure about 65 hood latch/emergency latch, but 64 you can drill hole in emergency latch and pin or pad lock it.
Here is another post:
http://www.slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=912&hilit=drill+a+hole+in+emer gency+latch

Old 01-02-2015, 06:10 AM
Faber
Elder User
Originally Posted by wwhite
This is a common problem. My trucks previous owner had this happen. Not sure about 65 hood latch/emergency latch, but 64 you can drill hole in emergency latch and pin or pad lock it.
Here is another post:
http://www.slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=912&hilit=drill+a+hole+in+emer gency+latch
Couldn't see the guys pic but the idea seems simple enough if I read that right. Drill hole through safety latch at correct height, work way up in drill size until it is correct size for padlock, drop hood and lock safety latch below its catch square so there's no way it can come out.
Appreciate the link, that helps. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Fellow owners it is very worth you time to spend 20-30 mins lubing and aligning your trucks hood hinges and hoodlatching system.

Use whatever brand that you think is best. Start with the hinges, lube and work em, lube and work until they move smoothly 30-50 time not too many.

Slowly lower the hood to the latch and look at where everythings sits and or needs to sit. Don't be afraid to straighten dented places, slap the safty back to where it's straight. Again lube & work until you can place it down and lightly push it and hear it click, click. Release the latch and know the safetly is in place and working. This is the method that I use and describs how my hood locks.

Holes & pins are for theft, and if you feel that you need it, please install for that purpose. It is not needed for solid hood laching.

John

Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chains make to much noise. Unless your worried about security from theft, pick yourself up a driver or pass side seat belt set at the salvage yard and use it as a safety for the hood. You already have the metal ends to bolt it down. Should be able to reach inside the grille to release it.
However, I do agree with John, if all those parts are functioning correctly, your hood should latch easy and the hood safety should keep that hood from flying up. Course unless your pushing over 100 down the road. ;o)

Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ouch!!! Agree, what a bummer!! Problem is trying to locate a 61-66 hood can be as difficult as finding hen's teeth. I am fortunate to find an auto body person who can work miracles, suggest getting a couple body shop opinions, and quotes if the hood is repairable. Many years ago I located a hood thru Ebay; I set up daily email notices under 61-66 Ford parts and narrowed the search field to distance I was willing to travel to pick the item up. Notice a seller happened to be in close proximity listing numerous 65 Ford part so email and found he had the hood put did not list because did not want to deal with shipping. May get lucky???

Old 01-02-2015, 02:54 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may be a good idea to lock a hood down not only for saftey but also for theft. If they can't open your hood then it makes it very difficult to hot wire or steal parts (radiators are common theft item in classic cars).

Old 01-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Another sad member of the Flying Hood division. I can truly empathize with you, I have the much coveted Night Qualification badge myself. You must have been moving out pretty good, judging from the damage?

One thing for certain even if the latch is serviced, aligned and lubed and/or replaced, everything working perfectly, it's impossible to ever quite fully trust it again. Particularly when those huge wind gusts blast at the truck from oncoming big rig semis on two lane highways.

I'm thinking of a quick disconnect between short length of vinyl coated 3/8 steel cable, something like that, at least for longer trips and peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Well this happened today......