Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A week (or more) of battle drills

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:17 AM
InOverMyHead
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week (or more) of battle drills

Inspired a bit by Tuglys into the breach thread.
The relationship with my 2000 f250 has had a series of unexpected, though maturing, situations arise recently and I thought some of you might share some appreciation and reflect on your own.

our truck isn't a rec vehicle: it's either making us money or costing us money.
Recently I had some issues with an occasional no start that was ushered in with a no SES/WTS light. After chasing a rather elusive gremlin around documented here things were going well. The truck seemed to run the way it should, I was driving it to and fro just to shake things out in anticipation of the emission test that's due, meanwhile winter was promising to show up.

We finally get enough snow that the plow is warranted. Driving home after running contracts and the battery light starts to flicker. Unhook the plow and the light goes away.....??.... I'll chase that later.

Christmas eve; partner and I were running some work related errands and last minute shopping, putting the surrounding traffic on notice that this work truck could easily keep it's 8000 lbs on the hoof up to speed and could easily set the pace when needed. My partner finally admitted that all the work (on the truck) had paid off and he was a bit jealous-the turbo does sound kinda kool at the moment- he has a 99 f250. then the gremlin shows again. working the lanes, the turbo ramping up and there's a hesitation of power,?, then the SES light pops on- I inform my partner not to get too jealous just yet- then the turbo kicks again then falls off, then the truck cuts out- coast to the side of the road where I'm to be Found On Road Dead.

What's that burning smell? you tossed a belt-whew.
Jump out and my partners voice gets that "oh crap" tone and inflection- oil is pouring out and a quick look back reveals a prolific "blood trail".
tow it to his house and start looking around, the engine is covered in oil and the truck won't begin to turn over even after filling up with oil......blew an HPOP line- christmas eve at 3:00pm- nobodies open.
good news is from what I can punch up on line the trucks behavior is consistent with blowing an HPOP line.

Christmas comes and goes, the day after I'm at the hydro shop 1st thing after running snow routes in the 4 runner- yes, you can laugh - "sorry, can't help ya", is the hydro mans answer. Ford has an HPOP line in stock- $198.00...yep $198.00....yes, they were open the day after Christmas. Mention a tire joint I used to run and he tosses me a good guy discount that brings it down to $120.00- sold.
In the blowing cold I get the line installed even after trying to route the line not the way the line is suppose to be routed. Did I mention the bitter blowing cold with snow on the block, truck facing the wind? No.?. let me mention that part. Truck fires right up and drives home just fine. fingers thaw out.

Truck runs so well in fact that I make a stop to load up for the incoming whether (ice melt), get loaded, jump in the truck, shift into gear and the SES light pops on and the OD starts blinking...seriously??...seriously.
partner happens to call just then and listens to me express my doneness. I can hear in his voice that he's glad he didn't attempt to become the ambitious mechanic that I'm managing to not become.

Park it in the drive- cycle it off then on and the lights clear..?????????

Sunday I decide to check the transfer case and diff fluid levels.
Transfer appears low, meanwhile when I check the front diff the 1st thought that pops into mind is...sludge. Not good. punch up Guzz's maintenance links for the quick tutorial (some day I'll have to buy that guy a drink or something) and I decide to use the one warmer than not day to full advantage. off comes the diff cover. while I'm waiting for the permatex to set up I turn my attention to the transfer case. turns out it's only a smidgen low- whew. then fill the front diff.

drive it around, drives like it "should". I feel better. next day, snow. after running routes the snow finally accumulates enough that I mount the plow- yes, I was a little scared. everything is good, then the battery light flickers again. 1500- 1800rpm are the magic numbers. outside of that and the light stays off. then yesterday at the last stop (running loops all day) the battery light remains on and when I jump back in- the truck won't start. call a jump to no avail. pull a battery to go charge it, that works to get it going. call our auto electric guy only to find out that he died a few weeks ago - and I'm worried about truck problems, perspective- find another shop that our various mechanics recommend. 6pm, bitter cold and I find myself once again working with tools and engine parts- get it installed while somehow avoiding frost bite.
Run to fill up and the battery light flickers again, but ultimately goes out...?????

This morning just as I hit the 1st property, the same property that I found myself dead at the day before, the light beams on.... straight to the alternator shop. the new alternator failed...seriously.

The guy makes it clear the alternator I replaced yesterday was bad- I make it clear I didn't think he sold me a part and that I'm aware- very aware- that "things" happen. I think he senses our new relationship may not be able to bear such stress at this point. I'm not so easily concerned. He has another new one, I switch it out in about 15 minutes round trip- in the process I arc the bejezzus out of the one I was taking off - disconnect the batteries smart guy- looked like a rookie welder lost control of the stick . The new alternator gets tested on the bench then on the vehicle. all the wires get tested again as well. Yep, it's working now. and the new one I just took off is now working on his test bench..??.. he's pretty certain something is loose in the alternator and all the "banging around" while taking it off managed to get it working again. his story, I'm just running with it.
everybody is happy. I'm really liking this new shop and can't help but appreciate the under-fire circumstance that our working relationship is being tested. with 15ish vehicles in the mix and our 4runner likely needing a rebuild on it's starter, I gotta know we can bear some stress.

Run clean up loops and the truck runs the way it should...the SES nor the OD light have come back on...??....meanwhile I won't listen to the radio as I'm listening to what the truck is telling me...yes, I'm an f250SD 7.3PSD whisper listener .
I'm sure someone can relate....please tell me someone relates.

Missed getting my E-test done- new year resolution. Hopefully I manage that and the renewal before the police notice my out of date tags.

Tomorrow the plow may likely go back on- it is the Colorado Front Range after all. I think Hawaii has more predictable snow.

Happy New Year. May yours be profitable...and warm

Old 01-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Whisper listener, yes... that's me. Many have teased me over this issue, and some think I'm crazy... but you understand where I'm coming from - as I do for you. So... you have officially qualified for membership in the "I'm not paranoid, the truck is out to get me" club. I need to make another tee shirt and teach you the secret handshake.

I had a lot of woes with Stinky, they were just more spread out over time. I saw the term "terrible twos", and Stinky ran with it. He's about to pop 300K, and he's finally showing signs that he's going to change his attitude.

If you are like me, you are at the point of evaluating your situation with the truck. I have reflected on my choices, and this is my summary:

A new diesel pickup costs $55K to $75K, but with the emission crap - they are not stepping up to the plate for reliability. I hold the pink on the Stink, but to replace him with a like vehicle with low miles and a 7.3L in my area is about $20K. I would then have a stocker that I know will need a Hutch mod, UVCH, etc... and the running gear will be older than what I have installed in Stinky. I have been pro-active withe the truck, fixing things at the first hint of trouble - and servicing stuff I know will fail if ignored. I know my truck, and there is plenty of support to keep him going at a reasonable cost. Replacing the motor can run around $10K - while just the fuel system on a 6.7L is the same Buck$Zooka blast.

Either way you go into the next 5 years, the Buck$Zooka will likely be an integral part of the plan. Sorry, it looks like you could be in the ruts I laid down - there is a price tag to reset all that reliable service for the coming years. With that being said - I would take my "freshened up" truck over a new diesel of any brand, because I still haven't spent anything close to what it takes to replace mine with new - and maintenance costs on the new ones will just make the situation worse.

I say this without rust under the truck. If I had rust, well... that's gotta go.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:56 AM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
InOver, that was an outstanding post. A good story, well told.

Mark

Old 01-01-2015, 11:26 AM
InOverMyHead
Freshman User
Thanks, others do relate.

Tugly, I've done the math as you have. When I brought it to our diesel guy he qualified how we'd be moving forward with, "if you're going to keep it.....". I am, not to be confused with I AM. We were thinking about it a few weeks ago & I'm pretty sure our kids 8 & 7 will be learning to drive this truck- it may be their 1st vehicle.

I have this masochistic fantasy of finding an 03' in really good shape, lower miles, with all the bells & whistles....that needs a motor..... I've even been flirting with the idea of picking up a builder & building in anticipation. Though, being honest I've been perusing the craigs ads looking for that one that personally piques my interest beginning with 5.9 Cu...... in a life before now I was known to have a....curious eye, not for greener grass so much as other grass- but we are talking trucks, yes? no harm as there is no foul. But in this one I'm vested and more importantly at this point, determined.

mark, thank you. Hope someday to make your real time acquaintance.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
I know this might be blasphemy ! But what would it take to find a clean late model 6.0 and bullet proof the motor?Just askin!

Smokie

Old 01-01-2015, 12:23 PM
InOverMyHead
Freshman User
I've wondered that as well. We've fonded over an excursion for years now & the availability of them in a 7.3 has led to me thinking outside the 7.3 box.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I've heard it takes about $6K to bulletproof a 6.0, but I think that's just parts.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:25 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I've heard it takes about $6K to bulletproof a 6.0, but I think that's just parts.
You are wrong. Go read the 6.0 board

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
...Go read the 6.0 board...
So as I understand this...
  • You have a 6.0L
  • You know what it takes to bulletproof the 6.0L
  • While visiting the 7.3L forum, you opt not to answer the question
  • Instead, you regale us with your ability to say somebody is wrong and tell them to look it up.

I would invite you to look it up and report back what you find... since you have time to chime in on the 7.3L forum as a 6.0L owner.

I won't further respond to anything less than your support for the OP.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:24 AM
puller45
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
So as I understand this...
  • You have a 6.0L
  • You know what it takes to bulletproof the 6.0L
  • While visiting the 7.3L forum, you opt not to answer the question
  • Instead, you regale us with your ability to say somebody is wrong and tell them to look it up.

I would invite you to look it up and report back what you find... since you have time to chime in on the 7.3L forum as a 6.0L owner.

I won't further respond to anything less than your support for the OP.
I concur completly

Old 01-03-2015, 01:54 PM
InOverMyHead
Freshman User
And the fun shall not end.
Pushing snow early Friday am, the whispering increases in volume. There's something going on up front, more to the right than left.......thwump, thwump, thwump......

front brakes of course. No biggie. cake walk the partner predicts. Sure, till the caliper slide pins won't budge......

Got them back "on" last night and it doesn't sound any better. Now the final kick to get it corrected before the chance of maybe snow later today becomes Snow later in the day.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
It's amazing how many noises these rigs make that we don't notice - until we listen for them, fix them, then hear the next sound below that, repeat.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:52 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha ha....so true.....

Old 01-18-2015, 05:08 PM
InOverMyHead
Freshman User
Forgot to update the battle drill list. I did update my other thread with my E test results.

The thwump was not just the "brakes" but a need for a new caliper bracket due to a welded slide pin. Which during that fix revealed a shot passenger side hub. Of course it did.
Weather moving in faster than my scheduled allowed meant a trip to the professional wrench. Anyone heard of skf
Well I'm sporting their premium hub. After a bit of thread surfing I specificied I wanted a hub that had the abs sensor so that I could install a zert to allow regular greasing. well, the zert doesn't fit..... I've yet to get under there myself but that's where we are.

no whump from that spot, though it does appear I have a universal on the drivers side needing some attention (aka replacement). once I get done rebuilding everything, I'll have a newly rebuilt everything.
I power washed the rig yesterday and it was nice to only have to power wash the truck.

On a related note, it's tax time and the wife element has been busy adding up receipts....... the amount spent thus far on the truck has exceeded even my expectations. Which of course makes this endeavor extraordinary...and who doesn't want to be extraordinary.?. I may or may not get back with a final number.

Till then, I hope not to see you in the trenches. Drive on.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by InOverMyHead
...the amount spent thus far on the truck has exceeded even my expectations....
If it makes you feel better, I have $25K in three years. Of course, that includes upgrades and specialized tools (like AE and a torque wrench).

Quick Reply: A week (or more) of battle drills