Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil loss located, now a few turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil loss located, now a few turbo questions

My truck has been going through about a quart of oil every 150 miles for the past few months. There isn't any oil in the fuel or coolant, I don't ever see blue smoke, and the exhaust pipe is dry and sooty, not oily.

I pulled the intercooler boot on the turbo output pipe and found a good bit of oil, so I decided to look at the compressor wheel with the engine running. After a few minutes I could see oil running out between the compressor wheel and turbo housing. I'm assuming the oil is getting sucked through the turbo and burned in the engine.

I have never had a turbocharger apart and was wondering how difficult they are to rebuild. Will the journal bearing rebuild kit have everything needed to fix an intake side oil leak or do I need extra parts?

Old 01-01-2015, 02:42 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
rebuild kit and orings for turbo to pedestal, should do the trick

Once you rebuild it, you'll think the hardest part of the job, was pop'n that damn v-band clamp.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:42 AM
M-S-G
Senior User
It might just be oil coming from the doghouse. That is Crank Case Ventilation triangular looking thingy on the drivers side of the engine.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:57 AM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by M-S-G
It might just be oil coming from the doghouse. That is Crank Case Ventilation triangular looking thingy on the drivers side of the engine.
Thanks, I had thought about that possibility. I removed the plastic intake pipe that comes from from the air filter to get a good look at the turbo compressor wheel, and routed the CCV blow by away from the engine with an old piece of heater hose. The CCV hose was discharging into a paper cup and I didn't see any oil after about 20 minutes

Old 01-01-2015, 09:01 AM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Once you rebuild it, you'll think the hardest part of the job, was pop'n that damn v-band clamp.
Been there. I had the turbo off about 2 years ago to install bellowed up pipes and cursed at that clamp quite a lot.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I just rebuilt my turbo last weekend and the rebuild kit has everything you need. The hardest part was hooking the v band clamps back up on the babys butt and down pipe. The rebuild was easy. Diesel O Rings has a maintenance page on their website that gives you step by step how to rebuild it.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Also if your pedestal is leaking now is a good time to rebuild it if you want the EBPV or go with a non EBPV pedestal like I did.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 AM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Also if your pedestal is leaking now is a good time to rebuild it if you want the EBPV or go with a non EBPV pedestal like I did.
Replaced the pedestal O rings when I did the up pipes, but will definitely install new ones when I have it off again. Not sure about the EBPV, but was thinking about installing a different compressor wheel while it's apart. I have Rosewood Stage 1 injectors, AIS intake, 4 inch exhaust and no other mods. The PCM was reprogrammed for the single shot injectors by DP, but the tune is pretty much stock. Most of what I have read seems to say more air will be needed for higher performance tuning if I decide to go that way.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:47 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by landmobile
Replaced the pedestal O rings when I did the up pipes, but will definitely install new ones when I have it off again. Not sure about the EBPV, but was thinking about installing a different compressor wheel while it's apart. I have Rosewood Stage 1 injectors, AIS intake, 4 inch exhaust and no other mods. The PCM was reprogrammed for the single shot injectors by DP, but the tune is pretty much stock. Most of what I have read seems to say more air will be needed for higher performance tuning if I decide to go that way.
Chris I personally think you'll be fine with the tunes you have. I too have read some say you need different tunes but I do not feel that is true. Because all a new wheel will do is spool up faster and yes it moves more air/ more boost. But your pcm already is set up for single shot injectors and the pcm will know how and when to ramp up the fueling by what the MAP and EBPS is telling the pcm. The only problem I could foresee is after you hit 22psi of boost it is going to defuel or set a CEL. But Jody might already have something written into the tune for that. I would say ask DP.

So are you running a stock 9 blade right now? If so do you ever have surge issues? And what billet wheel are you going to use?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
So are you running a stock 9 blade right now? If so do you ever have surge issues? And what billet wheel are you going to use?
Hi Ed,

Yes, I have the stock 9 blade that came with the truck. Not sure which wheel (if any) to swap to. I was considering more powerful tuning than the 60e and thought a new tune might need more air.

In the meantime I took a closer look at my existing wheel. Could you guys check out these photos and tell me your thoughts? There are a few chips in some of the blades but I really don't know what a bad turbo looks like. This truck was an ambulance in Wyoming for 6 years before I got it, so there might have been some hard dusty miles in its past.

Thanks, Chris.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:27 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
This turbo definitely ate something. Glad you are thinking about replacing. If you don't replace it you'll be rebuilding again soon.
Stock wheels can be found for next to nothing so at least do that while you have it out. For upgraded ones there are 3 posts a week with recommendations here.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Hi Ed,

Yes, I have the stock 9 blade that came with the truck. Not sure which wheel (if any) to swap to. I was considering more powerful tuning than the 60e and thought a new tune might need more air.

In the meantime I took a closer look at my existing wheel. Could you guys check out these photos and tell me your thoughts? There are a few chips in some of the blades but I really don't know what a bad turbo looks like. This truck was an ambulance in Wyoming for 6 years before I got it, so there might have been some hard dusty miles in its past.

Thanks, Chris.

Chris, I have 2 stock 9 blade wheels, if you want one just pay shipping. One just came off my X last weekend and the other off my F350 in 09. Just sitting in a box. Nothing wrong with them, no chips, dings or dents.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:29 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Chris, I have 2 stock 9 blade wheels, if you want one just pay shipping. One just came off my X last weekend and the other off my F350 in 09. Just sitting in a box. Nothing wrong with them, no chips, dings or dents.
PM sent, Thanks for your generosity!

Chris

Old 01-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
No problem Chris

Old 01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PM sent, Thanks for your generosity!

Chris
There you go Chris one brother helping out another. It wasn't that long ago you had helped me out. Once again thank you.
What goes around comes around.

So I was wondering do you ever use your truck to tow if so how much weight? And I am guessing since you are sticking with the 9 blade that you don't have any issues with turbo surging. And what does your truck weigh with service bed & tools? I am sure it isn't light.

No problem Chris
Reps to Rob for helping a brother out. You're a good man!

Quick Reply: Oil loss located, now a few turbo questions