6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tick

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Rile
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tick

My 2011 6.7 has a strange tick when I accelerate once I speed up it goes away it happens in drive or reverse I only have 29000 on the truck it will tick one to three times and then stops I had new rear u joints put on and is still ticking and is driving me crazy u can only hear it with windows down anyone have this issue?

Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Haven't heard of that one yet. So. going by what you are saying, you don't believe it is an engine tick? If it sounds like it is under the cab/bed, check all of your bolts on your mounts for transmission and T-case. Also check the hangars on the exhaust system. Get under it and shake everything. It at only one speed, try to reproduce it several times and then maybe find someone with a GoPro camera and magnetically mount it under the truck in various positions. OR, make an appointment and take it to Ford and let them try to figure it out. Someone else will surely chime in with some more ideas.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Rile
New User
Yeah it's weird it's only when I take off then it goes away I have been under my truck 100 times in the last two days it sounds like it is coming from middle of the truck I just replaced u joints in the rear so there fine maby front u joints but it is very quiet and it's really quick it's just so annoying every time I come to a stop sighn/ red light if roll my window down and turn radio off only happens sometimes

Old 12-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Rile
New User
And I don't think it's an engine tick cause when it idols it's fine no tick

Old 12-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Rile
New User
It doesn't seem to effect my truck at all drives and rides fine I will check hangers tomorrow thanks for the idea any more suggestions r appreciated I'm going crazy

Old 12-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I would bet that you are almost having whats called the "type writer" tick that is normal on our engines. How far along are you in your oil change? Also, Go near a wall with the windows down, I bet you will hear it super tick. If all of these are true, then your fine, you just have the "type writer tick" which is normal. When I just change my oil and I drive slow with the windows down and listen for it, I can hear it. Let us know though man!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Rile
New User
I just bought the truck it was used 28000 miles I have only put 1000 miles on it. When i left the lot the first two days were fine then I heard a whoosh sound and went under my truck and found that they put a new caliper on and forgot to tighten the bolts one was gone the other three quarters out I dropped it off went in looked at everything when was apart and got new pads both sides! Than I left heard a pinging sound brought it back put new rear u joints! Now there's a ticking when I accelerate and only than it's three ticks and never comes back. It's coming from under the middle or front of the truck.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:39 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Did the dealer or you change the oil after you purchased it at 28k?
Mine would tick for about 2000 miles after each oil change using motorcraft 15w-40. The noise would disappear as the oil aged and would come back at the next oil change.
This lasted for about 40,000 miles and then it slowly disappeared for good as the engine aged.
It has not ticked for the last three oil changes at least but I'm also running rotella t6.
For this specific typewriter noise, it's completely normal.

It is certain RPM's at low speed and it can be inconsistent at times. Best heard when driving by a fence at subdivision speeds.
tick-tick-tick-tick-tick....pause.....tick-tick.....pause.......tick-tick-tick-tick-tick......etc, etc..

Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Rile
New User
Yes the dealer chAnged the oil at 28400 and when I first got it no tick now I only heAr it when I put it in reverse or drive and hit the gas I am kind of getting over it cause it doesn't effect anything with my truck thanks for the responses I will keep informing

Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Rile
New User
What do u guys think? Should I be worried it has been in the shop the tech says he can't find anything it runs fine just under it for a while can't find anything u joints look good I can't figure it out it's just so snnoying to hear it click 1 to 3 times every time I take off! What do u guys think????? I can't figure it out I guess I will drive it till something else happens

Old 01-01-2015, 11:30 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
If your engine is experiencing the "typewriter tick" then Ford considers it normal and will cause no harm. Here's a video for reference:

Old 01-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Rile
New User
It sounds like that but only when I put it in drive or reverse and take off I'm really flustered cause I always take good care of my vehicles and I hate noises like this I just am going to have to take it to my buddy's shop and have him listen the kid at my dealership doesn't seem like the brightest so I don't know if I trust him I've never dealt with him before. But I got warranty so I guess I'll drive it till it brakes and then we will all know what the noise was

Old 01-01-2015, 01:08 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
It was explained back in 2010 when these 2011's came out that the tick existed with the previous powerstrokes but since those clattered more loudly, it wasn't heard.
The 6.7L was quiet so there were new noises. These trucks make all sorts of noises, even after shutdown.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:09 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Rile
It sounds like that but only when I put it in drive or reverse and take off I'm really flustered cause I always take good care of my vehicles and I hate noises like this I just am going to have to take it to my buddy's shop and have him listen the kid at my dealership doesn't seem like the brightest so I don't know if I trust him I've never dealt with him before. But I got warranty so I guess I'll drive it till it brakes and then we will all know what the noise was

I wouldn't sweat it, but year I'm sure a ticking noise can be annoying. To be certain it's the harmless tick I would put some miles on it to see if goes away after a couple thousand miles on your new oil.

I would be very careful about your "buddy's shop" because if he's not very familiar with this topic, he may lead you to believe you have a problem.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Rile
New User
Yeah I'm not to worried my buddy owns rj deisal in north stonington he's pretty good but I'm pretty sure it's nothing running good love it I'll let u know though thanks for input