VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

2015 VETNET Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, gotta love the fallback plan!

And in other news, I got fired from my current job(RTO). I swear I've been tossed around so much in the PLT. Been in just about every squad, to include the mounted sections.
So once again, I'm jobless(don't have any duties to perform) for the second time on this deployment.

It would seem I have major problems with leadership, no room to improvise, "STFU and do what I said", and then get yelled at for not going with what I was trying to say needed to be done in the first place..

Definitely not getting a fair shake, NCO's with short fuses, nobody sitting down and trying to mold me as a future leader, show me right, let me do wrong without instantly firing me from the job. I have a feeling that they don't like me, and it's all just personal.

Didn't mess anything major up just to clear that up, I was doing what I was told, but didn't "read between the lines," which ended up being what ultimately had to be done, and what I was doing, but nobody saw it that way. All over stupid paperwork that I had incomplete information for to begin with. All the good work I did up till now was not taken into account for another minor SNAFU moment. RGR. Moving out, draw fire. I'm done with this company, been in the same platoon for a little over 2 years. I need a change of scenery. I'll never get promoted in the CoC, that is evident, since my peers are being promoted over me. That DA-4187 is about ready to get the pin pulled on it, if my next job prospects that I'm working for, don't pan out. It's the caustic leadership that would make most people get out, I just want out of the unit, or at least this company.

Alright, rant/b!tching complete. Thanks for listening.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:38 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I just got handed two more shops, bringing my total to 6. And 24 hr duty.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Murphies Law of NCO's

Rule #1: If you are good at something, everyone else will dump THEIRS on ya to do.
Rule #2: If everyone else SUCKS at something, they will STILL dump theirs on ya to do...
Rule #3: Never volunteer, there's always somebody in need of a scapegoat

Old 02-18-2015, 08:45 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Murphies Law of NCO's

Rule #1: If you are good at something, everyone else will dump THEIRS on ya to do.
Rule #2: If everyone else SUCKS at something, they will STILL dump theirs on ya to do...
Rule #3: Never volunteer, there's always somebody in need of a scapegoat
Just siting here wishing they promoted on competence instead of a silly points system.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Yea, I agree, based on merit, and competence you would have a healthier NCO corps. The only time I've seen promotions without a board is on the command integration list.

You forgot #4, when you are talking to just one NCO, all the rest feel the need to make it their business as well, and join in the conversation.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I remember when it went from a 4.0 to a 5.0 system.

It still got inflated.....

If you didn't rate at least 3.8 you were a loser, that was when I realized that the system was top heavy with butt kissers. Collateral duties, and when you got to E-6 you had to be "ACTIVE IN THE COMMUNITY".

What did that have to do with being good at your MOS, I wondered....

It doesn't have anything to do with it.

What I finally figured out was that in order to be happy I had to do the job I signed on for really well, but that was not worthy of promotion. The military expects us to be good at our jobs, but just when we are journeymen in our MOS they want us to become "MANAGERS"

I tell ya what - I can fix anything except people. When people are broke the only thing you can do is try to convince them to fix themselves. AND I SUCKED AT IT!

SO when I got as good as I could be at my military "TRADE" I got out, after lasting all the way to 20 years.

What sense does it make to turn into a manager after becoming a master at electronics? Any business run that way would go BUST -

You take your best people, and tell them they have to do something completely different from now on....

What a joke

If you become a master mechanic, or a master electronics tech, what should you expect to do from then on?
I sure as hell didn't do everything that I DID to become a personnelman!

It seems that the "PEACETIME MILITARY" ideation is never going to stop screwing things up

I wonder who sold the military that model? That you work to get out of your trade...

If you love what you do, and it is taken away, you have only one option.
Go find it somewhere else

Old 02-19-2015, 11:32 AM
RL250
Posting Guru
I remember when it went from a 4.0 to a 5.0 system.

It still got inflated.....

If you didn't rate at least 3.8 you were a loser, that was when I realized that the system was top heavy with butt kissers. Collateral duties, and when you got to E-6 you had to be "ACTIVE IN THE COMMUNITY".

What did that have to do with being good at your MOS, I wondered....

It doesn't have anything to do with it.

What I finally figured out was that in order to be happy I had to do the job I signed on for really well, but that was not worthy of promotion. The military expects us to be good at our jobs, but just when we are journeymen in our MOS they want us to become "MANAGERS"

I tell ya what - I can fix anything except people. When people are broke the only thing you can do is try to convince them to fix themselves. AND I SUCKED AT IT!

SO when I got as good as I could be at my military "TRADE" I got out, after lasting all the way to 20 years.

What sense does it make to turn into a manager after becoming a master at electronics? Any business run that way would go BUST -

You take your best people, and tell them they have to do something completely different from now on....

What a joke

If you become a master mechanic, or a master electronics tech, what should you expect to do from then on?
I sure as hell didn't do everything that I DID to become a personnelman!

It seems that the "PEACETIME MILITARY" ideation is never going to stop screwing things up

I wonder who sold the military that model? That you work to get out of your trade...

If you love what you do, and it is taken away, you have only one option.
Go find it somewhere else
Wolf, it's starting to feel like that time.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
If you can possibly hold out to at least "Short Retirement" at 20 years - it's one heck of a good deal. With the job market what it is where I managed to get myself stuck I have no idea what I would have done without that monthly paycheck - lost my house and everything more than likely.

I look around and see how tough the civilians here have it and I thank God I was stubborn enough to make it...

Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
If you can possibly hold out to at least "Short Retirement" at 20 years - it's one heck of a good deal. With the job market what it is where I managed to get myself stuck I have no idea what I would have done without that monthly paycheck - lost my house and everything more than likely.

I look around and see how tough the civilians here have it and I thank God I was stubborn enough to make it...
I'm trying. My troops deserve that much. But 6K a week earning potential makes it very tempting to go back to burning rod full time.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Ask yourself this:

Does it have the benefits?

You can always turn something up on the side, and if you can't - you have to ask yourself how hard the market is.

PLUS: You're on the way to guaranteed benefits, and a lot of schools that NO ONE ELSE WILL SEND YOU TO
On top of that is the hands on experience

Last time I looked, I only had to clear three or four credit hours to get a degree - that's why I was thinking about it.

A long time ago I was also told about something called the National Apprenticeship Program - you should look into it. Your supervisors can sign you off on a lot of it and you can come out of your mil experience as a journeyman or above at many skills.

That would be seriously helpful if you decide to go out the door, which I still think you shouldn't do.

You are a better man than you think you are, so was I.

* Sometimes I still think about volunteering to go out in the fleets to work on RADAR equipment

Old 03-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Not sure where the most appropriate place for this video is but check it out when you get a chance. Maybe we could start a thread on patriotic music or something. Saw it on another section here in FTE as well.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:05 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Not sure where the most appropriate place for this video is but check it out when you get a chance. Maybe we could start a thread on patriotic music or something. Saw it on another section here in FTE as well.

Nope, not watching that again. I hate crying.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
This is exactly the right place, it has me thinking about who I would want for a roommate to share my little house.
It would take some work.

Shikes, if nothing else you just got me hooked on a new band....

Old 03-03-2015, 03:18 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Check out there Bad Company remake.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
I'm not a huge fan of 5 finger, but I didn't hate that song. Maybe the video to go with the music helped. I'm glad my buddy didn't end up on the street, he got housing through the VA, but more like barracks, with bigger rooms, and everyone shares a kitchen and bathrooms kind of deal.

Quick Reply: 2015 VETNET Chat Thread