Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X died while driving....restarted weird happenings! GREMLINS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:04 AM
ssolid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X died while driving....restarted weird happenings! GREMLINS?

Very strange problem happening. Hopefully as everytime in the past you all will have a solution.

I believe it is an electrical issue.
First, the lights for the buttons on the doors started flickering on an off for about a month. Now they never light up. Also, the back window wiper would randomly wipe all by itself.

Last night, as I was driving down our gravel driveway, the head/fog lights (not sure exactly which) flickered as we bumped down the driveway. On the road it did not flicker.

However, when I pulled back the Multi-function Switch (MFS) to flash the high beams the car TOTALLY DIED on the spot.

After some research here I found it could be the MFS. I took the cover off the steering column and looked at the MFS and the connections. Everything seemed fine.

So I did some troubleshooting with it and here are the results.

I only had the issue when the headlights were switched ON.
While they were ON, if I pushed the MFS forward to put the brights on the left blinker on the dash would light up (not blink) and the rear window washer wiper would start going. If I pull back the MFS to flash the brights it would kill the engine.

Suggestions? Is there a way to test this?

Thank you all again for your tireless support and pursuit of keeping the Ex’s rolling.

ssolid

Old 01-01-2015, 08:32 AM
lunatech
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a connector that goes to the multifunction switch that is located in the steering column that gave me (and a few others on here) problems. Our problem was that the headlights wouldn't work at all but but the parking lights would and high beams would work on "flash" position. I traced the problem to a bad connection in the connector under the top cover of the steering column (and some others have also). You can also get to the multiposition switch with these two covers off. The connector is a flat multi wire connector on top of the column. I didn't get any pictures when I had mine off but can send a pic of approx. location if needed. Being the multiposition switch is involved and we've had a history of problems there, that's where I'd start. Also PM your email and I'll send you a copy of some really good electrical diagrams I have. They are for a 2002 but should be pretty much the same for other years. Hope this helps you out man. BTW, where are you located? Could be close enough for me to come lend a hand troubleshooting if needed.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:19 PM
xenfinityx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@lunatech. I have that same exact problem on my 2005 f150. Where exactly is this connector and what color is it. ? I think you may have answered all 1000000 of my questions.