Sponsored by:

Radius Rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Radius Rods

Does anyone have any for sale? If so, please contact me at drrdr1958@gmail.com. The wandering is driving me nuts!!!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:06 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Have you considered any of the other wandering fixes that folks here have used? I too started off looking for a set of the land Yacht Radius Rods but since they are no longer produced.................. I went with a full spring swap from a SuperDuty, other have gone with the RAS. There are also aftermarket traction bars that function just like the radius rods, these are some very high quality units One Up Offroad
There are fixes out there for you, it all boils down to how you use your EX, what your desired ride and performance are, stock ride height or some lift and of course your budget.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:30 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
What Tom said. I did a V/Modded B swap and nothing else - no more wander, WAY better suspension travel room up front, and a nice ride height (my 5' 4" wife said had I gone any taller she'd refuse to "climb the mountain" that would have been the truck).

Old 12-31-2014, 01:15 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I run stock suspension and have no wander issues. What I did was a full and complete rebuild of the front end and steering components and Bilstein HD dampeners. My '05 came with a rear swaybar.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Did your rebuild include the steering gear box?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Tom I put on RAS. It doesn't jump around when I hit a bump much at all and when I put the Hellwig ASB on I believe that part will be fine. This truck wanders going straight on a flat, relatively unmarred stretch of highway--curves are almost scary--and I owned a 2WD Excursion for 10 years so I'm used to the feel of the truck by size and weight...******* has a mind of its own.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Watcher58
Did your rebuild include the steering gear box?
Yes, I replaced with a RedHead steering gear.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:14 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Watcher58
Tom I put on RAS. It doesn't jump around when I hit a bump much at all and when I put the Hellwig ASB on I believe that part will be fine. This truck wanders going straight on a flat, relatively unmarred stretch of highway--curves are almost scary--and I owned a 2WD Excursion for 10 years so I'm used to the feel of the truck by size and weight...******* has a mind of its own.

If after RAS and a Hellwig it still wanders then I would say it's time to seriously go through the front end components like Magnus said. It seems that the factory installed wander (on rigs that suffer from it) mostly comes from the rear springs, the RAS and Hellwig should tame that, additional wander beyond that sounds like just age/miles catching up with the front suspension parts. My EX didn't suffer from any wander at all running solo with everything stock at 70k miles, with the heavy trailer behind it the combo was almost uncontrollable! New beefier springs front and rear corrected that.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Wandering is often a symptom of incorrect alignment. Too little caster and ANYTHING will wander all over the road. Start with the simple fix first and get that checked out by a competent shop.

My Ex never wandered on the stock springs, I don't think that's the issue. Stewart will disagree with me.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Looks like I have quite a selection of factors to eliminate or address. I live 150 miles out in the wilderness in MT so many things I do myself. I'm heading back home so this 150 mile leg I'm going to tighten steering box a bit more and check air pressures. I plan to check all the tie rod ends and drag link. I've already replaced the steering stabilizer--not much, if any, help. Roadmaster Suspension is on and Rear anti sway bar is going on. Got new bushings for front anti sway bar. I've had it about a month and it is challenging with projects which for me, is good being out here. This steering deal just seems to be one of those "I'll replace this part--well that didn't work-next on the list" Just to have to get psyched up.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
My Ex never wandered on the stock springs, I don't think that's the issue. Stewart will disagree with me.
Nah Tom, I always advocate to make sure everything is in proper working order first. Can't fix the problem if a person has no clue if something isn't within specs, first.

As for your Ex, yours had an exorcism done on it because 4x4 OEM Excursion springs are eeeeeeevil!

Stewart

Old 01-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
FWIW, I drove Orlando to Tampa (FL) and back today with 20-30 mph crosswinds and had no issues with wander: the ras, rear hellwig, redhead, proper alignment, good front end and good tires at proper inflation all play a roll.

My former '97 tahoe drove like a boat, constantly sawing the wheel to catch it wandering, banking on the interstate was a nightmare. My ex, when I bought it 4 years ago wasn't as bad, but it wandered. The redhead, which I did last, made the biggest difference.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:00 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My X wandered badly from day one of me owning it, purchased at 17k miles. It was so bad I was going to trade it in after a month! After reading and searching the internet I found this site and did the easy stuff. Tightened the gear box which made the steering a bit more twitchy! I installed air bags on the rear springs only because I had them from my previous van, not much help. Then I went with the Hellwig rear sway bar, this was by far THE mod that cured my wander. The reason for the wander is the poor excuse for springs they put under the X. They allow the rear axle to steer the truck with the slightest movement! That is why the Superduty truck springs fix the wander. the Hellwig helps to somewhat control the rear axle movement, virtually eliminating the wander. The stock X springs were designed with ride quality in mind and not hauling/towing.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:09 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the One Up Offroad Traction bars and the Hellwig sway bar front and rear on my 01 Excursion 2WD. No more wandering issues and the stability on the front end when on dirt roads is tremendously improved over stock.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
As I said I just got this car a few weeks ago. Driving from Billings MT North in wind and snow, there was improvement from the steering box. Proper bolts finally came today for the Hellwig. One fun thing I found, I got out and checked the air pressure--it was at 65 lbs/tire--that is ALL 4. Setting those properly helped...so Hellwig this weekend and then go through front end

Quick Reply: Radius Rods