1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Running light/Turn signal fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sere0501
That makes sense Joe. Now I did notice you had the ammeter listed with a 30 amp fuse. How will it have a fuse since it is one of the wires that will power the box after it runs through the gauge? I currently have a fusable link in the wire from the alt to the 30 amp circuit breaker, and I was going to put one on the wire from the solenoid through the ammeter and eventually ending at my fuse box, but if it's powering my box how will I fuse it with the fuse box? Did you install one of these between the solenoid and fuse box?
I wired my truck to have the hot lead from the battery (via the post on the solenoid) run through the ammeter and to the fuse panel main bus. From there, I have a 30A fuse going to the ignition switch AMMETER post. I don't have any fusable links in my truck.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Wire gauges are normally even-numbered so two "sizes" smaller is 4 numerically.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I wired my truck to have the hot lead from the battery (via the post on the solenoid) run through the ammeter and to the fuse panel main bus. From there, I have a 30A fuse going to the ignition switch AMMETER post. I don't have any fusable links in my truck.
I see, so your ignition switch has a post labeled AMMETER?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:39 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Wire gauges are normally even-numbered so two "sizes" smaller is 4 numerically.
I see, so a #10 actually needs a #14 fusible link? That's what I have currently. And I can just start it right at the Alt then? How long do you make yours?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:53 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
I see, so your ignition switch has a post labeled AMMETER?
Well, actually, I don't remember how the ignition switch is marked, but I think it's A for ammeter, G for gauges and I for coil. I crawled under the dash to look at it, but I can't read the back of the ignition switch. Bad eyes and bad back. Sorry.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:46 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Sorry Joe, I had to chuckle picturing you trying to see under there.... and no worries, it'll all come together. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 01-01-2015, 03:25 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
(G) is usually for ground ain't it?
I mean as a general rule. Right?
When I see something marked (G)
I think ground. What say you?

Old 01-01-2015, 03:36 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Originally Posted by arctic y block
(G) is usually for ground ain't it?
I mean as a general rule. Right?
When I see something marked (G)
I think ground. What say you?
Same hear Arctic Y! I don't have an original ignition so I couldn't say how they were done in 49. If they wanted to go that route then why is there an I for coil, shouldn't it be a C?

Old 01-01-2015, 04:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Why on earth would there be a ground contact on the ignition switch? I believe it is actually marked "GA" for gauges. "Ignition" is more than the coil, it's anything you need or want to be energized only when you are running. The way the switch is circuited internally, everything on the GA and I terminals are all energized when the switch is in the Run position, but in the Acc postition only the accessories are powered up. It's exactly like a modern car, Accessories like the heater fan, wipers, radio, etc. are connected to the GA terminal. That way if you are sitting listening to the radio but not running the engine, you don't fry your coil.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:05 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Why on earth would there be a ground contact on the ignition switch? I believe it is actually marked "GA" for gauges. "Ignition" is more than the coil, it's anything you need or want to be energized only when you are running. The way the switch is circuited internally, everything on the GA and I terminals are all energized when the switch is in the Run position, but in the Acc postition only the accessories are powered up. It's exactly like a modern car, Accessories like the heater fan, wipers, radio, etc. are connected to the GA terminal. That way if you are sitting listening to the radio but not running the engine, you don't fry your coil.
I think I'm making progress with my electrical knowledge Ross because I actually understand and already knew everything you posted (mainly because you educated me in a couple other threads of mine and many others I've read). I wish I lived closer to you guys so I could sit around and talk Fords with you at a show sometime. I hear you guys talking about going to this place and that, and me and Arctic Y are stuck up here in a place that some Americans actually think is an island. It's got it perks though. Thanks for the clarification Ross.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:33 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I am on an Island Bud. Literally. I get to Anchorage a few times a year.

Next trip in a month or so. How close to there are you. Maybe we

could hook up for a bit or a bite.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Yes, I remember now it is marked GA for the Gauges. Sorry for the confusion.

And I think the most common abbreviation for Ground is GND. "G" is usually Green.

Oh, and speaking of "Why on earth would there be a ground contact..." when I got the truck, the PO had run one of the wiper motor switch leads to ground...

Old 01-01-2015, 06:49 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I am on an Island Bud. Literally. I get to Anchorage a few times a year.

Next trip in a month or so. How close to there are you. Maybe we

could hook up for a bit or a bite.
That would be great, but I live close to Fairbanks. I'm guessing you don't get up here very often. I'd like to see your part of the state sometime though, but it's unlikely since I will be moving in June.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Oh, and speaking of "Why on earth would there be a ground contact..." when I got the truck, the PO had run one of the wiper motor switch leads to ground...[/QUOTE]

Funny because if I remember right the PO of my truck had a ground on the ignition. Ross straightened that out pretty quick though.
I can't wait to get my truck back so I can get to work!

Old 01-03-2015, 04:35 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
That would be great, but I live close to Fairbanks. I'm guessing you don't get up here very often. I'd like to see your part of the state sometime though, but it's unlikely since I will be moving in June.
I should make Anchorage this month or next for sure for
a couple days. But that's still a bit far for you to travel.

Quick Reply: Running light/Turn signal fuse?