1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford truck body shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:27 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
There are three pieces. I needed compounds curves in all three pieces. The way I was able to make the compound curves I used a ballpeen hammer to basically make a dished dent in the metal, I then used my body hammer and a curved body dolly clamped in my bench vice to refine the dish and smooth out the hammer marks left by the ballpeen hammer. Sort of a very basic planishing hammer and English wheel. Very basic to achieve a moderate compound curve.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:53 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford
We can develop a whole neighborhood around him! No rust and working outside on New Year's day. Can you imagine......
I don't think you would want to work outside today around here....snow on the ground and temp around 10 degrees. Was nice in the shop though....y'all are welcome to stop by for advise(BS) anytime!

Bob, the fenders are coming along nicely, great work!

Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Sportster.Mark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I do have a really nice shop but it's costing me a small fortune. The building is from my business which because of a bad economy I had to pretty much close and find work somewhere else. I bought the building just before everything hit the fan. At the time things were good and had inherited a little money so I figured I'd invest it in my business. Well five years later I'm stuck with a building worth 2/3 of what I paid for it. So far I have had enough small jobs from my now very small business to pay for the building. I would sell it in a minute if I could and not lose all the money I have stuck into it.

That all being said, I spent 20 years crawling around on gravel under anything I had to work on. I then got a pole building to work in without heat. It's better than having to crawl around on gravel in the open but in the middle of winter it doesn't help too much when it's hovering around 0°. I will admit I have it made now, my shop is big, it's heated, I have a 2 post lift and most of the tools anyone could need but it's been a long time in getting.
I hear you on all of that Bob. I was about to buy a building when the economy pooped out and by Dec. of 2008 we closed the doors. Right now I have a 60'X80' pole barn my employer provides for me, but it is unheated and the temps have been dropping. Lower twenties today, so not too bad but bad enough to make we want to stop to warm up every hour.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:09 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
That's really nice work Bob, you do really fine work.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by pweng1
Bob It is a nice shop and having your son their with the same interests is priceless. Thats the stuff money just cant buy. As for me I am waiting for the house next door to Tinman to come up for sale where the trucks have little rust and i can get some neighborly fabrication advise. Thats where i'll buid my dream shop.
There aren't any houses next door to tinman - just open space

He and Bob both do awesome work.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:51 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks great, just shows that skills over ride tools every time

Old 01-02-2015, 11:08 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
That is amazing. If I tried that it would look like some POS piece in front of the library..

Old 01-04-2015, 08:37 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
A few more patches on the driver's side fender:

Old 01-04-2015, 08:51 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
You must not be too handsome Bob because you sure is handy lol Those patches look great.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:32 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wanting to buy an English wheel now

Bob I have been thinking about your repairs
since your last post. You have me wanting
To buy some equipment and start making
Repair patches.im eager to see if I can duplicate
The curves.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:44 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm glad Gary's fenders were not that far gone! We completed metal finishing the one we have been working on yesterday. Just need to go over it with 80 grit on the DA and apply a skim of filler over the whole thing. Biggest issue was that the whole fender looked like someone had taken a ball peen to it, so we (he worked, I supervised) spent a lot of time working it smooth with a round robin of hammer and dolly, shrinking disk, bullseye pick and slap hammer.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:13 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by pweng1
Bob I have been thinking about your repairs
since your last post. You have me wanting
To buy some equipment and start making
Repair patches.im eager to see if I can duplicate
The curves.
pweng, IMHO the majority of the needed patch panels for F1 that aren't already available such as the ones I made for Gary's fender in the repair tutorial I am doing could potentially be made in the home shop if you wanted to make the investment in a large press and metal patterns. The compound curved pieces like Bob is doing here would be very skilled labor intensive and near impossible to consistently duplicate by hand, unless you have a multi ton drop forge in your shop. I toyed with the idea of making the basic patches for sale, but decided the cost to do so would make them way too expensive to be profitable given the very limited market. Flipping burgers would pay better. Now if you have enough money and NOS samples of the various year configurations you could buy a ticket to China....

Old 01-05-2015, 04:14 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Now if you have enough money and NOS samples of the various year configurations you could buy a ticket to China....
and since the tooling might take a little while to get perfect, you could send out some to all your buddies on FTE, just to make sure they fit right and everything..

Old 01-05-2015, 05:16 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ax what i meant was although i have few years of industrial fabrication experience it was all angles or rolls. None of it being auto body work or complex curves. I am just amazed at most of the talent here. Bob ball pein streching then planishing it back. You and Scott posting your fab work. I stand here looking at flat sheets of steel and my sons thinking can i learn that or should i at least try to get them working with it now so they may be good

Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I'm kind of self taught. I worked in the auto body field for about 5 years but before I got in the profession I did amateurish work on my cars and a few other people's cars. I haven't worked in that field in over 25 years but I still work on my vehicle and a few side jobs.

I have learned a lot buy watching TV shows, reading online discussion boards, watching videos on line and also a lot of experimentation. I really like working with metal and playing with and seeing what I can make it do. I look at rust repair as a magic trick, or an illusion. Taking something must people would think is junk and making it look like new.

Quick Reply: Ford truck body shop