6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 exhaust sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:39 PM
ATE88
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 exhaust sensors

Just got my dpf delete pipe today an my tuner should be here by end of week. Tried to get my new sensors but ford wanted $124 each and no one else has them. I know better than to try takin the old ones out but now I'm considering trying. If I'm unsuccessful will it damage my truck to run it without the sensors until I can get new ones? I found them online for $51 each but it will take over a week to get them and I wanted to do the delete this weekend. I heard there can be idle problems without the sensors.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:57 AM
jmhatchett
Senior User
If you break one of the sensors and you dont have the truck tuned for the delete then the truck will completely shut down and limp mode will not let the truck run.

1) get the tuner in hand
2)install the tune on the truck before removing any mechanical parts
3)confirm that the tune is working properly and allows for removal of the exhaust components.
4) unplug sensors from the wiring harness and remove DPF and CAT pipes
5) spray lots of penetrating oil on sensors and be patient let the oil work then you can remove them while the pipes are off of the truck it is much easier this way rather than crawling around truck or working over your head on a lift to take the plugs out.
6) put sensors in new pipes and install new pipes then hook the sensors up

Allow yourself plenty of time to do all of this and sometimes it helps to have a buddy to remove the DPF and CAT they are usually heavy

Old 12-31-2014, 10:37 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Confused,

Why do you want exhaust sensors if your deleting?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:51 AM
jmhatchett
Senior User
Originally Posted by parkland
Confused,

Why do you want exhaust sensors if your deleting?
The sensors will still read the EGT's and its always better to know more about the truck rather than less.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Your EGT sensor is up near the engine, the sensors on the pipe just monitor DPF cleaning performance and such, there is no point in having them once your not regenerating the DPF.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:56 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Old 12-31-2014, 10:58 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
I would only worry about having a functioning EGT sensor, once deleted.
Without regens, there is no reason to monitor exhaust temperature after the EGT sensor.

Unless it's some kind of tuner that needs the sensors installed?
Is there a real reason you need them?
Really old tuners used to want them plugged in, but never seen that recently though.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:23 AM
jmhatchett
Senior User
It depends on which pipe he ordered, some have the holes for the sensors to plug back in some do not. I personally do not have them so I know what you're saying.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:13 PM
langballs
Junior User
I think the Edge tuners need the sensors in the exhaust. My 08 King Ranch had one. I quickly yanked that out and put in a Mini Maxx. Edge made transmission shift horribly.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:04 PM
ATE88
Freshman User
Ya I got the gearbox z tachyon plus. I couldn't justify paying for the minimax. And my understanding is this tuner requires the sensors to be plugged in or it will high idle. Also I don't want to break the old sensors out of dpf incase I need to reinstall for emissions testing. And I got the dpf cat delete with bungs from flo pro

Old 01-02-2015, 02:27 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
do you have any other Ford/Lincoln dealerships in your area? That price sounds pretty high.
I also deleted with the Gearbox Z, but with the 4.0, and bought new sensors for the same reasons you indicated. One dealership did not have any in stock but another one 30 miles away did have them in stock. They were something like $53.00. This is in WYoming. Looks like you are in Canada? Maybe prices are higher there, but that is alot higher.!

Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
I just did the delete this afternoon with the GearboxZ 4.0 setup. I sprayed down all exhaust sensors and the joint between the DPF and tail pipe with PB Blaster several days prior. I did this several times before this afternoon. I was able to get 3 of the 4 sensors out with zero problems. I used a line wrench, 17MM on one and 13MM on the other two. A tap with the hammer and they came out. The one back sensor past the DPF would not budge, with line wrench it just rounded off the sensor. I should add that I have 123,000 miles and from what I can tell all exhaust is factory, never touched.

Anyway I called local Ford dealer and they had one for 82.00 bucks and I needed it so I grabbed it. Plugged it in and everything works great.

Jeff

Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
Yeah, I did same thing with pb blaster. Everyday for like a week...still could not get them out. Decided it was better to just buy new ones and leave old ones in place so can more easily replace dpf. Glad I did delete though and GearboxZ 4.0 is working fine.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 AM
ATE88
Freshman User
Ya I'm in Canada and parts are a lot more expensive here. Just finally did the delete tonight. I ordered the egt sensors from amazon, made life easier. The dpf pressure sensor I tried to salvage and of course it broke when I tried taking it out so I just plugged it in and left the hole open for now till I get a new sensor, although it is working so far.

With the gearbox 4.0 did it ask you anything involving the dpf? My tachyon said nothing about it. So far it's working great, I'm just scared its going to go into regen though I no it shouldn't.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
I guess I don't recall what it said exactly..It was back last summer when I did it. And to be honest, I plugged it into the OBD port and let it do its thing while I crawled underneath to begin the take down of the exhaust and listened from there. I climbed out every 5 minutes or so to visually check it.
I have not had any problem with it since then. I still can get pretty high turbo presure (around 40psi) when pulling a hill with a trailer and/or into the wind which can get pretty strong around here. Engine oil temps are cooler and EGT runs way lower and engine load % is stays more even.

Quick Reply: 6.4 exhaust sensors