1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My ideal vehicle....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 05:31 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Wayne, good luck with your search, I have no suggestions for you. My thoughts are about your tiny house project. I certainly do not want to rain on your parade, you seem like a good bloke and I hope for the best for you in sorting out your financial future. So I hope you will not mind my asking about your plans. I have seen pictures you have shown previously and they are indeed tiny. I have read articles in Australian real estate magazines talking about the ideal home for starter families and over the years some builders have tried to sell small starter homes (not tiny) and have not been able to sell them. Even though people say this is a good idea, no one takes it up, they all want something bigger and better. My first house was small, basic, ordinary. After 4 houses, each an improvement on the last, and after about 28 years we got a nice house, not magnificent, and not a Mcmansion.

So I am curious, have you determined there is a real, proven, paying demand for these or is it something you would like to do. I hope you do not mind me asking, I imagine your friends here are hopeful things will work out well for you too.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:36 AM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been thinking about replying to this thread since I first saw it. The trend appears toward a full sized, rear wheel drive V8 sedan- something built on a strong platform and perhaps a sedan with a full frame like Ford's panther platform. My offer is similar but slightly smaller and a bit more sporty. Consider the late 90's Lincoln Mark VIII, '98 most preferred. I recently purchased one for the drivetrain a few weeks back. During the 1+ hour drive down to the country for winter storage until I can get to the disassembly in the spring- I must say I was more than impressed with this car. I had a Mercury Marauder for 10 years with basically this same engine and it ran very well for a full sized sedan, but it was about 650# heavier than the Mark VIII. The weight difference was apparent immediately when driving the VIII.
I have always admired the appearance, but the amount of power and torque was also more than I expected. My newfound Lincoln runs a slick as a swiss watch with 121k on it. It also has more bells and whistles than necessary- which is why I bought it for a decent price- the air bag suspension needs repair. These can be very pricey to repair if you rely on a shop to do the work. Aside from this potential maintenance item, these cars offer:

1. Ford's 32 valve 4.6L DOHC Tekskid alloy block- said to be the strongest of AL blocks and capable of handling three times the stock HP ratings of 290.
2. Also present is enough base vehicle weight (3700#) to tow a relatively significant trailer.
3. 4R70W transmission, strong and capable and near bullet proof with a build
4. 8.8" ring geared Ford IRS (great ride and fun in an old Ford truck if you get tired of the Lincoln!)
5. Electric tilt and telescoping steering wheel- a notable feature for any driver
6. 25+ hwy MPG.
7. Very exciting exits from a stop with the traction control turned off!

Just my thought on this topic of fun and useful vehicles that have potential to be durable.