1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F500 Emblem; Need Dimensions to 3D Print

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1956 F500 Emblem; Need Dimensions to 3D Print

Seems it's not easy to find the F500 emblems for my 1956 hood...so I'm wondering if someone who has a '56 would be willing to send me detailed pictures of theirs plus length, width and dimensions of the raised text, etc. I design and build scaled car/truck/tractor models and use a 3D printer for creating parts and components. I figured I can 3D print them in ABS, paint them and tack them to the sides.

Any takers?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:32 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I may have some, I will lok and let you know

Old 12-29-2014, 08:03 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
here you go, these are not mine,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Ford-Truck-F500-Emblems-Badges-F-500-/181625702440?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a49bc4828

Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 AM
GJCAT
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Could you do a set of C-600s? I have a 56 COE and could use a better set, I could send then so you could guage them better.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:25 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Well now, this is very interesting. What do you think the cost would be to have the emblems 3D printed? I would assume the biggest part of the cost would be developing the drawings the printer could use. I'm thinking this might be the future of some parts for our trucks, like the emblems.

Please enlighten us on the process and how you are planning on going about doing this.
Sorry but I don't have any F500 emblems.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:25 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Absolutely! I'd need detailed dimensions but the part isn't too complicated at all. I can also do the 3D design in my software and have the part printed in a multitude of materials including stainless...even gold. The latter might be costly however.

F100, F250, F350...doesn't matter. As long as I get the dimensions for the emblem (or send me a prototype) I'd be glad pursue the design work and produce the part if all comes together. My personal 3D printer can handle several plastics up to the durable ABS but a metal material might be the way to go. If I do ABS on my own machine the cost would be lower than if I'd have it done in metal obviously. I'd have to paint ABS printed emblems in a chrome paint but it should hold up fine. The metal prints will come out already polished with no further finishing work. The finished product would even include the holes for the bolts through the sheet metal.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Harrier
Well now, this is very interesting. What do you think the cost would be to have the emblems 3D printed? I would assume the biggest part of the cost would be developing the drawings the printer could use. I'm thinking this might be the future of some parts for our trucks, like the emblems.

Please enlighten us on the process and how you are planning on going about doing this.
Sorry but I don't have any F500 emblems.
Morning Joe! Actually I have a 3D scale model car/truck/tractor business on the side and the actual design work, for me, is pure joy. The charge to design the pieces would be zero. I'd only ask a small fee over actual production costs for ABS printed emblems. My printer can handle 3D prints up to 10" cubed. Parts larger than that (wider for instance, as in the emblems) would be made in several pieces and heat-welded together. My preliminary guess for an ABS emblem would be perhaps $75 +/-.

I use a local prototyping shop for my metal pieces. Once the design is completed I send the .stl file (stereolithograph) to the shop, choose my material and two days later the part shows up at my doorstep with crystal clean lines, shiny and ready to install. That is a more expensive option.

I know approximately what the emblem looks like and the general dimensions. I'll make up a mock design this morning and send it off for a quote to get a general price for metal. I'll get back to you a little later on with more data on that.

But yes I'm sure many, many parts can be made this way. As long as the part is strictly cosmetic and isn't mechanical...liability and all. I'm making the little triangular covers to go over my visor mounts right now. The open space is ugly and I don't plan on putting visors back on the truck.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:47 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Here is the link to one of the model Caterpillar crawlers I did over the summer. It shows the 3D design process from start to finish and how I weathered and painted the model. It'll help you better understand what the process is like. There are a few YouTube videos in there too.

New Twenty-Two Winter Special W/ Belt Pulley Project

Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 AM
1LIFE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow very cool. Have been dying to get my panel done up 3D as large as possible. Interested?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 1LIFE
Wow very cool. Have been dying to get my panel done up 3D as large as possible. Interested?
Panel? Instrument panel?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:27 AM
1LIFE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entire truck PLZ.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:56 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There is a 1/24 scale kit of the 53-55 panel, Needs kitbash parts to change it to 56 model. There is also a 56 pickup kit, but it has a chopped top.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
1LIFE - let's start with emblems and work our way up. I'll keep your project in mind for sure. But yes a few kits out there. Normally my models tend to be 1:12th-1:16th so they're quite large.

Now, as far as the emblem is concerned, here's edition 1:

Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Wow, looking good.

I was thinking, if someone would just take a picture of their emblem sitting on 1/4" graph paper, you could probably scale from that.

Also, if you print this in plastic, what type of chrome paint would you use? I've been looking at a few brands, but I'm still up in the air about it.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Wow, looking good.

I was thinking, if someone would just take a picture of their emblem sitting on 1/4" graph paper, you could probably scale from that.

Also, if you print this in plastic, what type of chrome paint would you use? I've been looking at a few brands, but I'm still up in the air about it.
The graph paper is a good idea. But I'd need truly precise measurements done with a caliper. But that's only because I'm OCD.

I've used Duplicolor CS101 Chrome spray paint in the past. The key is to put on three coats of clear coat lacquer over the chrome paint. Otherwise the paint is no where near hard enough to resist the constant exposure to the elements of the road, sun, rain, snow, etc etc. Krylon Lacquer is a decent product for the price. I've not been able to see a difference (IMO) between that lacquer and the more expensive rattle can lacquers. If it is a true car clear coat over the chrome I bet that's going to be a very solid finish.

BTW I got a quote on metal printed emblems: $700+ per side. Ouch. I'm doing a test run on my printer in ABS now. ABS is strong and won't be harmed by heat unless your engine is about to blow...but if that happens who cares about your emblems anyway.

Quick Reply: 1956 F500 Emblem; Need Dimensions to 3D Print