1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F500 Emblem; Need Dimensions to 3D Print

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:18 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
not mine, just buy these and be done, http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Ford-Truck-F500-Emblems-Badges-F-500-/181625702440?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a49bc4828&rmvSB=true

Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
not mine, just buy these and be done, 1956 Ford Truck F500 Emblems Badges F 500 | eBay
They'd suit my needs for sure! But if others with "big trucks" can't find their emblems and I can make them (and other items) why not have a little 3D printing fun?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
You know, if it works well and is affordable, I bet a place like midfifty and classic haulers could advertise your parts. I would think you could produce for them as they are ordered, no stock. I bet they would love that and you could make a little cash and help some folk who need these emblems that are not reproduced. Win win.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas

3D Printed ABS 1956 Ford F-500 Emblem Edition #1

Originally Posted by Harrier
You know, if it works well and is affordable, I bet a place like midfifty and classic haulers could advertise your parts. I would think you could produce for them as they are ordered, no stock. I bet they would love that and you could make a little cash and help some folk who need these emblems that are not reproduced. Win win.
That sure would be a fun endeavor. The thought has crossed my mind, particularly because you'll find original emblems on eBay for an awful lot of money (I get it, THEY'RE RARE). To think some emblems are selling for the same cost as a high quality tire. From the point of someone who is also restoring an old truck I can appreciate getting a quality product at an aggressive price point. I'll have to investigate this a bit.

But in the meantime, here is my 3D printed edition #1. I like it! Needs some finishing work but overall, kinda nifty.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:42 AM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Connecticut Calvin

3D Printed ABS 1956 Ford F-500 Emblem Edition #1

That sure would be a fun endeavor. The thought has crossed my mind, particularly because you'll find original emblems on eBay for an awful lot of money (I get it, THEY'RE RARE). To think some emblems are selling for the same cost as a high quality tire. From the point of someone who is also restoring an old truck I can appreciate getting a quality product at an aggressive price point. I'll have to investigate this a bit.

But in the meantime, here is my 3D printed edition #1. I like it! Needs some finishing work but overall, kinda nifty.
I think it looks awesome! It would be nice to have someone to compete with these people price gouging on the big truck emblems just because they don't make them anymore.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:50 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
That looks great!

I know you said you could locate the mounting holes in the back, but couldn't you also use the double sided body molding tape? I used it to re-mount the wrap-around molding on a '79 Mustang. If installed correctly, that stuff is not coming off.

Well done.

There was a thread here some time ago about replacement *****. Using a 3-D printer was discussed, but I don't think anyone had one.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
That looks great!

I know you said you could locate the mounting holes in the back, but couldn't you also use the double sided body molding tape? I used it to re-mount the wrap-around molding on a '79 Mustang. If installed correctly, that stuff is not coming off.

Well done.

There was a thread here some time ago about replacement *****. Using a 3-D printer was discussed, but I don't think anyone had one.
Thank you both for the kind words. I'm humbled. Double sided tape would be an easier solution for sure. 3M makes the automotive double sided tape which takes everything the road will throw at it. The only way to get it off is wit a heat gun. Tell you the truth I like that option the best.

I can do replacement ***** too. I could have a little fun with any design if people were looking for something that's functional yet has a bit more style or modern flare to it. I like these side emblems I just made and I'm thinking, though they're not OEM, I might just stick them on the side of my ride when I get to that point. It's not going to be restored to stock (off the showroom floor) condition. I'm keeping the mechanicals stock, but the truck will be flat black both inside and out with candy apple red wheels.

EDIT: If I do pursue making the emblems commercially, I have to be careful about brand licensing. I have absolute respect for ownership of trademarks and copyrights...I might have to reach out to Ford and inquire as to the legality of reproduction Ford products; regardless of whether or not they exist or are being reproduced elsewhere. Hmm.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:44 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts

EDIT: If I do pursue making the emblems commercially, I have to be careful about brand licensing. I have absolute respect for ownership of trademarks and copyrights...I might have to reach out to Ford and inquire as to the legality of reproduction Ford products; regardless of whether or not they exist or are being reproduced elsewhere. Hmm.
That is awesome work you are doing. But as i was scrolling through reading this just now I was thinking about Ford copyrights and licensing. It might be better to keep this below the radar. I am sure that guys like D. Carpenter pay Ford a lot of money to reproduce Ford parts and to use the Ford name.

I don't want to through cold water on this but it might be best for now to keep it low key and not try to sell through Mid-Fifty or othe routlets.

good luck. And your prototype looks great but you forgot the dot between the F and the 500. I would take up the suggestion someone had above and take his pair of emblems and use them to get exact dimensions.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by abe
That is awesome work you are doing. But as i was scrolling through reading this just now I was thinking about Ford copyrights and licensing...

good luck. And your prototype looks great but you forgot the dot between the F and the 500. I would take up the suggestion someone had above and take his pair of emblems and use them to get exact dimensions.
I'm going to ponder the licensing thing for a while. Maybe I can make the emblem with no name or model.

And yes, I realized after I printed it I forgot the dot. But this was edition 1 and I just wanted to see how it came out. I'm going to polish it with acetone a bit and see how well it cleans up.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM
fladoodle
Senior User
I'm going to ponder the licensing thing for a while. Maybe I can make the emblem with no name or model.

And yes, I realized after I printed it I forgot the dot. But this was edition 1 and I just wanted to see how it came out. I'm going to polish it with acetone a bit and see how well it cleans up.
I'd talk to midfifty. They probably have some idea about licensing.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Might be a way of getting 54 Hash Marks & Boomerangs, 53-54 hood side emblems and 55 Gull Wings & script hood side emblems as well. Just saying.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:38 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
OK - so the ultimate question here is; what emblems are not reproduced? I see quite a few F100 emblems...but I'm not sure about others.

Can anyone shed some light on that thought? I'd appreciate it.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:42 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
OK - so the ultimate question here is; what emblems are not reproduced? I see quite a few F100 emblems...but I'm not about others.

That's just it.. The half tons are the only ones they reproduce emblems for. So even those of us with the three quarter or one ton pickups still have to find originals.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
OK - so the ultimate question here is; what emblems are not reproduced? I see quite a few F100 emblems...but I'm not about others.

The 54 boomerangs are out of stock at most vendors so I assume they are looking for a new source.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:55 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Just in case Calvin doesn't know.

The boomerangs have a recess at the bottom, for the "F-100" to fit into, so they cover the bar holding the numbers together. (and yes, I know the - is really a dot.)

Boomerangs: (NTS)

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1956 F500 Emblem; Need Dimensions to 3D Print